Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Great first issue. Some of my favorite characters are back. And Kelly Thompson gets them. Even Quentin is tolerable but still getting on everyones nerves. I think getting punched by America is a sure bet in his future^^

Can not wait for the next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    Great first issue. Some of my favorite characters are back. And Kelly Thompson gets them. Even Quentin is tolerable but still getting on everyones nerves. I think getting punched by America is a sure bet in his future^^

Can not wait for the next issue.
    I think that Gwenpool is first in the line of punching Quire, but I can see America being the first one xdd.

BANNED

They should sell tickets for it. Would solve their money problems with members of the X-men alone for sure^^

Astonishing Member

So just got through a second reading

The art was very nice

I liked the character interaction a lot

The feel of the book isn't going to be for me, I actually found the brodok (sp) character very unpleasant but no dought that's intended

In fairness to the creative of all the new number 1s from marvel, this main story was rammed with reading, fair credit this was the first book priced higher that I felt earned the money, lots of reading and nice visually

I'm fairly certain this isn't for my taste, I found the brodok unsettling

that said

This was the best first issue I've read from marvel in a long time, it earned every penny with a really rich read

I'll likely look to the trades for this as I think it will read better for me

very good comic imo

Mighty Member

This book is just as fun as I was expecting. I love how all the characters are portrayed and interact and the art is phenomenal. My biggest concern going in was my dislike of MAC, but she wasn't in this book too much, and when she was there she wasn't demonstrating too many of the traits that I find grating.

My only real (minor) gripe was how Gwenpool just kind of shows up, but at the same time, it seems so in character for her to just walk into a panel and go with the flow. Still, I would've liked something more than "Hey. Im here". If I was going to do it I would've had her mention something about how this is the first time shes in a book after hers was cancelled or something to that nature, but If I wrote this book, it wouldn't be nearly as good anyways.

4/5, this is another win in the growing catalogue of great modern marvel books. who would've thought fresh start would be the one to get it right.

BANNED

Kelly has stated that her meta awareness would be dialled back for this series though to what extent is anyone's guess.

Fantastic Member

I was in on this because of Gwen. I just loved her series and really dug how they ended it so I thought I'd be doing my part by buying this. Then while reading it I remembered how much I loved Gillens Young Avengers run so to see America and Kate back especially talking about Noh Var was awesome. Then the book itself was gorgeous and we'll written. I'm in until the end.

I'm also picked up this book for two reasons: Gwenpool and Kelly.

Now I loved Gwenpool series. I went in with low expectations and was shocked how much I loved it all. Character development, creative use of her powers, showing a person and integance beneath the mask yet quick to make assumptions like many people do, and Gwenpool's cast was wonderful (and I hope one or two might pop up in a cameo like the Terrible Eye who was alot of fun and a good friend to Gwen Poole or her brother also making an appeance). I love how it felt like the whole story was Gwen becoming a better and responsable selfless person (and along the way unlocked reality and meda warping powers). From selfish to selfless.
    Now one fear I had was outside of Gwenpool's series writer (and artist that could pull off so much including strong cute emotions and fun yet drama when needed) every other writer that used Gwenpool had her presented as I had feared she would be before reading her series. Her cameo in Champions was annoying to read and didn't show a character that could think.

I have read and very much enjoyed Kelly's works. First when I began reading comics in late 2014 I read and loved her A-Force series (still sad it went away and the disappearance of Singularity), then over time discovered and loved many others. A feind show me some issues of her Jem run and I enjoyed what I read and how she presented the characters that i didn't know anything about previous versions, enjoyed Rouge and Gambit series she did, and kept reading from other people how much they loved many of her works including Hawkeye. She seems like she does her work in research and history of the the characters so while I still felt worried (for anybody who wasn't Gwenpool's series writer) I also felt she could possibly be the best person outside of Gwenpool's writer to write her 616 character.

So how did I feel focusing on Gwenpool here? Reading this it shows Kelly knows Kate and Gwen (and Ghost Rider who is now apart of the other) had a adventure and developed a friendship together (thus why Gwen went to see Kate as a friend and why Kate was quick to want her apart of her team) plus some info of her past. Plus Gwen here isn't going over the top in annoyance like some other writers had her with gwen responding in a more natural vibe compared to other writers. Gwen pulling a gun on a driver to get the driver moving away from danger felt a bit much as Gwen during her last issues promised Miles that she will not kill and strive to be a better responsible person. Now if we saw the driver being a above and beyond stupid and annoying nasty that seeing Gwen's patience wearing thin and pull the gun to intimidate the dumb driver away then it would of felt right as in her own series we see how she thinks logically and emotionally and importantly the why and the factors that lead to her choices. This case we see her from the outside since it's not her own series.
    I think her using the meda powers to pull from 'gutter space' her unlimited weapons she she stores ('hammerspace' but this time we she her using actual powers and the white spaces to pull out her stuff) or responding to questions people might write in that Gwen collects and sends to the other characters to respond to might be interesting.

Gwen here seems to be responding to certain things and characters how the general public I feel would respond. Her flat 'What?' at the end plus her feelings to Quire matching how many view him in forums.

That being said the bickering and fighting between the two yet seeing I think the covers for the upcoming issues seems to hint that the two might get deeper emotionally.

One thing that I felt was off was Gwen wearing her costume 24/7 it seems where in her own series her was in civilian outfits many times when she wasn't doing a mission. Now this can be explained that since Gwen was now a 'full time' member of the West Coast Avengers that she and the team could be running into danger at any moment in time thus she keeps her costume on as a way of being prepared at all times. The other factor could be she wants to hide her face with the cameras around thus when she is amoung the public out of costume shopping or whatever she wouldn't be recognized without her mask allowing some time to herself and fun.

Now I bet Quire is assuming Gwen is deformed under that mask or ugly. Then Quire see's Gwen without her mask and he is stunned.

Also according to her own series Gwen was sent over to the 616 world just as her world was about to have the Secret Wars event happen. Gwen would know many writers BUT not Kelly. I can see Gwen going to the cover or first pages where the creative team is written to see 'who's writing this book?' and have no idea who Kelly is thus not sure what Kelly is known for in terms or both drama and comedy and if she kills characters like Bendis does.

@Kelly Thompson, if you are still reading this thread:
    Was it intentional that the woman trying to see the other Hawkeye, the cute one, looked a bit ScarJo/Black Widow-ish?
    Was that her way of trying to appeal to him or am I reading too much into it?
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    I'm also picked up this book for two reasons: Gwenpool and Kelly.

Now I loved Gwenpool series. I went in with low expectations and was shocked how much I loved it all. Character development, creative use of her powers, showing a person and integance beneath the mask yet quick to make assumptions like many people do, and Gwenpool's cast was wonderful (and I hope one or two might pop up in a cameo like the Terrible Eye who was alot of fun and a good friend to Gwen Poole or her brother also making an appeance). I love how it felt like the whole story was Gwen becoming a better and responsable selfless person (and along the way unlocked reality and meda warping powers). From selfish to selfless.
    Now one fear I had was outside of Gwenpool's series writer (and artist that could pull off so much including strong cute emotions and fun yet drama when needed) every other writer that used Gwenpool had her presented as I had feared she would be before reading her series. Her cameo in Champions was annoying to read and didn't show a character that could think.

I have read and very much enjoyed Kelly's works. First when I began reading comics in late 2014 I read and loved her A-Force series (still sad it went away and the disappearance of Singularity), then over time discovered and loved many others. A feind show me some issues of her Jem run and I enjoyed what I read and how she presented the characters that i didn't know anything about previous versions, enjoyed Rouge and Gambit series she did, and kept reading from other people how much they loved many of her works including Hawkeye. She seems like she does her work in research and history of the the characters so while I still felt worried (for anybody who wasn't Gwenpool's series writer) I also felt she could possibly be the best person outside of Gwenpool's writer to write her 616 character.

So how did I feel focusing on Gwenpool here? Reading this it shows Kelly knows Kate and Gwen (and Ghost Rider who is now apart of the other) had a adventure and developed a friendship together (thus why Gwen went to see Kate as a friend and why Kate was quick to want her apart of her team) plus some info of her past. Plus Gwen here isn't going over the top in annoyance like some other writers had her with gwen responding in a more natural vibe compared to other writers. Gwen pulling a gun on a driver to get the driver moving away from danger felt a bit much as Gwen during her last issues promised Miles that she will not kill and strive to be a better responsible person. Now if we saw the driver being a above and beyond stupid and annoying nasty that seeing Gwen's patience wearing thin and pull the gun to intimidate the dumb driver away then it would of felt right as in her own series we see how she thinks logically and emotionally and importantly the why and the factors that lead to her choices. This case we see her from the outside since it's not her own series.
    I think her using the meda powers to pull from 'gutter space' her unlimited weapons she she stores ('hammerspace' but this time we she her using actual powers and the white spaces to pull out her stuff) or responding to questions people might write in that Gwen collects and sends to the other characters to respond to might be interesting.

Gwen here seems to be responding to certain things and characters how the general public I feel would respond. Her flat 'What?' at the end plus her feelings to Quire matching how many view him in forums.

That being said the bickering and fighting between the two yet seeing I think the covers for the upcoming issues seems to hint that the two might get deeper emotionally.

One thing that I felt was off was Gwen wearing her costume 24/7 it seems where in her own series her was in civilian outfits many times when she wasn't doing a mission. Now this can be explained that since Gwen was now a 'full time' member of the West Coast Avengers that she and the team could be running into danger at any moment in time thus she keeps her costume on as a way of being prepared at all times. The other factor could be she wants to hide her face with the cameras around thus when she is amoung the public out of costume shopping or whatever she wouldn't be recognized without her mask allowing some time to herself and fun.

Now I bet Quire is assuming Gwen is deformed under that mask or ugly. Then Quire see's Gwen without her mask and he is stunned.

Also according to her own series Gwen was sent over to the 616 world just as her world was about to have the Secret Wars event happen. Gwen would know many writers BUT not Kelly. I can see Gwen going to the cover or first pages where the creative team is written to see 'who's writing this book?' and have no idea who Kelly is thus not sure what Kelly is known for in terms or both drama and comedy and if she kills characters like Bendis does.
    Yeah... Quentin may not have even seen Gwen's hair yet - and it's half pink, the same colour he dyes his. Could be an argument in the future if one of them steals the other's dye.

As for Gwen not knowing Kelly, she did actually pull non-Marvel books, they just couldn't show them for obvious reasons... so she might know her from IDW's Jem and the Holograms, which started in March 2015.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I don't really care about any of the characters here, except maybe Tigra, and that's from decades ago, before she was, well, "written differently." But I really enjoyed The recent Hawkeye series, and I'm glad to see Kelly back with her, and the tone of this title soooo much lighter than most of Marvel's current fare. I like the look of the artwork, and some of the outrageousness-- really found the interviews boring; but then, I've seen this scene many many times before in other titles, and here was just more of the same, for me. But that aside, this may be my 'other' Marvel title (Squirrel Girl, yay!), as Doc Strange and Immortal (!) HUlk have so far barely engaged me. So here's cheers to WCA's return, and long may it run.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    My main annoyance with it is I want consistent prices, and I especially don't want to feel like I'm being forced to shell out more just to get on board with a title

That isn't the way to get me to give things a chance

and it feels very much like money grabbing from the fans who want to get on board with a book at the crucial point of access

your right about me not reading much marvel, down to 3 or so books now was at about 25 books 6 years ago
    It does seem counter intuitive, I would think you would want to have lower prices at the start so you can entice people to try the series. Especially series like this that don't have any traditional "big guns". I loved the announcement of "Uncanny X Men"... I think following up in a similar fashion to the hugely successful "No Surrender" venture was a great idea. But man, that first issue price is a tough sell. You can get the entire first volume of a lot of Image books for two dollars more.

I wonder how Fuse will play out.. It seems like he's got an Absorbing Man powerset, and with Creel getting a lot of attention on Black Bolt it would make sense to introduce a son for him. But wasn't there a character in Hickman's Secret Avengers who was a son of Creel? I'm blanking on his name, anyone remember it and if it was ever confirmed that he was in fact the son of the Absorbing Man?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    It does seem counter intuitive, I would think you would want to have lower prices at the start so you can entice people to try the series. Especially series like this that don't have any traditional "big guns". I loved the announcement of "Uncanny X Men"... I think following up in a similar fashion to the hugely successful "No Surrender" venture was a great idea. But man, that first issue price is a tough sell. You can get the entire first volume of a lot of Image books for two dollars more.

I wonder how Fuse will play out.. It seems like he's got an Absorbing Man powerset, and with Creel getting a lot of attention on Black Bolt it would make sense to introduce a son for him. But wasn't there a character in Hickman's Secret Avengers who was a son of Creel? I'm blanking on his name, anyone remember it and if it was ever confirmed that he was in fact the son of the Absorbing Man?
    image and valiant were who I was thinking of regarding their volume 1s

sure it's a price to get people to try it out, but that was exactly my point

But as I said, I thought the writer did a lot with this issue, of all the 1st issue so far I thought this the best value as a read

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    image and valiant were who I was thinking of regarding their volume 1s

sure it's a price to get people to try it out, but that was exactly my point

But as I said, I thought the writer did a lot with this issue, of all the 1st issue so far I thought this the best value as a read
    I agree, it didn't feel padded out and it didn't have a backup story that felt tacked on to me. It actually read like a regular sized issue in that I was totally engaged the whole time and was surprised and disappointed when the ending sneaked up on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post

Jerry/Stonewall is Creel's son