Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are your favorite Jeff Lemire written comics from DC?

I know his Green Arrow was strong and I loved the art though I haven't finished his whole run.

I've been sort of nonplused by his DC work compared to his work on the Black Hammer universe at Dark Horse and Sweet Tooth for Vertigo.

Sweet Tooth and Black Hammer have blown me away. And yet I've read so much DC stuff from him since New 52 that just hasn't.

What are your favorite runs he's written (or drawn) for DC? What about Marvel while I'm at it?

For me personally, his work I lean towards is Marvel.

All-New Hawkeye/Moon Knight were great runs.

His new "Sentry" run is also off to a really good start.

I've only read Animal Man, and it's pretty good.

Mighty Member

I absolutely love his Green Arrow.

But I also adore his short Superboy run (damn Flashpoint), which really was an amazing book that, unfortunately, is often forgotten among all his other work.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Fantastic Member

You need to read Animal Man if you haven't. One of the absolute best N52 books imo.

His short Justice League Dark run was *pretty good*, and I feel this was where Mikel Janin's art shined the brightest (or darkest hehe).

He's currently killing it on the Terrifics, if you haven't read that yet. It's part of the New Age of Heroes line, but it's just about all old characters on the team, led by Mister Terrific and featuring Plastic Man (one of my favs). It's been really fun so far.

Also it's not DC, but if you haven't read Descender (Sci-fi w/ robots) then do that! It just ended, so you should be able to find it all in trades shortly. A sequel series called Ascender starts early next year.

Oh, and Gideon Falls is only 6 issues in but it's excellent if you're okay with a bit of horror. If he keeps it up, it'll be another classic for him.

everything he's done with andrea sorrentino has been gold. his green arrow run was excellent, and they did the impossible over at marvel: they made me really enjoy old man logan. i couldn't care less about wolverine, let alone some gimmick alternate future version of the character created by mark millar, but that run was solid all the way through. as mentioned above, the pair is now on gideon falls over at image, and so far it's very promising.

his new 52 animal man was really good.

Fantastic Member

One thing that's interesting to me about his career is how he is a huge name in comics, but hasn't written any major titles for Marvel or DC (aside from a medium-short run on X-Men). I'm sure the big 2 would love to have him on one of their big properties, but at the same time it's hard to imagine him writing a bat-book, for instance. I feel like that level of bombast that comes with those titles maybe doesn't suit his style as much as the lesser-knowns (like Sentry and Animal Man), where he likely has more creative freedom and is able to excel.

I don't know, just a random thought.

BANNED

The Terrifics easily. His Green Arrow was pretty good too and the only time I've read Green Arrow since Grell.

His indie stuff has been pretty good mostly... Except when he's doing the art himself... I don't enjoy his art.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I absolutely love his Green Arrow.

But I also adore his short Superboy run (damn Flashpoint), which really was an amazing book that, unfortunately, is often forgotten among all his other work.
    Definitely the Superboy run, for me. I liked his new characters (Simon Valentine, 'Psionic Lad') and his use of older elements of the Superman mythology (Krypto, Ma Kent, Smallville) and elements of Kon's own backstory (his relationship with Cassie, finding his place after his resurrection). I felt it was a great balance of looking back and looking forward, in that sense, both embracing the character's continuity (even elements that put off other writers for not being 'serious' enough, like Krypto), and yet being unafraid to add to it and explore new things.

Always Rakzo

Jeff Lemire is probably one of the most consistently great writers out there and definitely one of my favorites. While there are other highly-regarded authors currently, some of them can have huge failures that can become some of the worst books on the stands (A classic example is Tom King's Batman). Lemire however, never had a book that could be considered anything less than "good".

Animal Man was pretty much his initial DC success and with good reason. It was a fantastic story that built-up from a past that the New 52 heavily tried to erase and created incredibly emotional moments for Buddy and his family.

Justice League Dark was a really fun team book that implemented the supernatural characters from the DCU in a way that actually made them worthy of the name "Justice League" because of the scope of the stories.

But of course, if you know me you know that my favorite DC work from him is Green Arrow. Lemire dared to do what no other author did before: Actually create a brand new direction for Oliver Queen that didn't rely in the overly-abused political tone that has been plaguing his history for years. Is funny since I seem to remember that early on Lemire mentioned he was going to follow a bit of the editorially mandated Liberal tone but at some point he must have said: "Yeah, no thanks. I'm going to give you something that you don't even think you want!" and he actually did. He expanded Oliver's universe and made it much bigger than ever, developing a compelling mythology behind classic GA ideas and creating a engaging adventure tone for the title that is heavily based on the Golden Age (Even Magus' home where he changes Ollie's life is Lost Mesa, where the Golden Age Green Arrow was born).

Sadly, no other writer has been able to follow what Lemire did, deciding instead to dwell in the past and even when they do follow his ideas, they just make them worse.

I have to say that his Marvel work deserves recognition as well. All-New Hawkeye was the best archer book for a while (and that is kinda sad) and if I'm completely honest, I think that his Moon Knight run might be even better than his Green Arrow. Lemire created one of the most compelling characterizations for Marc Spector that I've ever seen, finally revealing some of the recurring aspects concerning his mental illness and offered a resolution that is simply inspiring for people with similar issues. Best of all is that none of that was told in either a patronizing and pandering way, Lemire never forgot that he had a story to tell and incorporated that message into the plot in a way that made sense and turned it much stronger because of it. For example, Max Bemis' current Moon Knight run is pretty solid BUT while his stories are really brutal and horrific, he gave a really soft explanation about Marc's issues which made it much less sincere.

Everything that Lemire touches turns into gold.

Terrifics. He’s done a great job of introducing me to Mr. Terrific, Plastic Man, and Metamorpho. I like the new Phantom Girl as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    One thing that's interesting to me about his career is how he is a huge name in comics, but hasn't written any major titles for Marvel or DC (aside from a medium-short run on X-Men). I'm sure the big 2 would love to have him on one of their big properties, but at the same time it's hard to imagine him writing a bat-book, for instance. I feel like that level of bombast that comes with those titles maybe doesn't suit his style as much as the lesser-knowns (like Sentry and Animal Man), where he likely has more creative freedom and is able to excel.

I don't know, just a random thought.
    They won’t let you touch a “big” book unless you’re an exclusive. Which I can understand because what if you decide to abandon ship for whatever reason in the middle of a run because the competition makes you a good offer? Or you get a sweet TV/movie deal and want to go work with that? Besides Lemire has said he prefers working with the B and C-Listers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Definitely the Superboy run, for me. I liked his new characters (Simon Valentine, 'Psionic Lad') and his use of older elements of the Superman mythology (Krypto, Ma Kent, Smallville) and elements of Kon's own backstory (his relationship with Cassie, finding his place after his resurrection). I felt it was a great balance of looking back and looking forward, in that sense, both embracing the character's continuity (even elements that put off other writers for not being 'serious' enough, like Krypto), and yet being unafraid to add to it and explore new things.
    Gutted that it ended so quickly, just to fit in with a big event that I had naff all interest in.

It was around about that time (when Lemire run on Superboy ended) that I decided to read comics years in arrears...that way if writer I like doesn’t stay on character I’m interested in for a reasonable number of issues, I known not to bother reading run.

Easily his Animal Man, Frankenstein and especially his JL: Dark run and annual.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is funny how I love the Terrifics so much but thought his Justice League United book was one of the worst things DC has published in in the last decade. That book was so bad it almost put me off even trying anything he did after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    The Terrifics easily. His Green Arrow was pretty good too and the only time I've read Green Arrow since Grell.

His indie stuff has been pretty good mostly... Except when he's doing the art himself... I don't enjoy his art.
    I thought Essex County was really good....and the style of his artwork really complemented the story itself.