Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spidercide's Secret will we ever know?

Sp supposedly when Spidercide "died" back in the 90's he took a secret with him to the grave, supposedly about the Scriers or the High Evolutionary (who contacted him). So maybe in a future Spider-Man arc, we will get an appearance from Spidercide and the High Evolutionary and learn what the secret was.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

iMan 42s

I really hate this because every Scarlet Spider or clone has a major unfinished plot-point.

I genuinely don't think we will. The Spider-office can't even be bothered to wrap-up Kaine's plot with the Aztec gods and that was only a few years ago. I'm in the camp of never knowing because it's literally every Scarlet Spider or clone that has this problem.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Look, I'd like someone to take a new swing at Scrier, Judas Traveller and Spidercide probably more than most, but I just can't see this being addressed any time soon. Maybe if Scarlet Spider had been a big hit we'd have seen someone (Peter David, Nick Spencer) dig deep into Clone Era plot points for more stories, but it's hard to imagine going back to that well so soon after SS's apparent cancellation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Sp supposedly when Spidercide "died" back in the 90's he took a secret with him to the grave, supposedly about the Scriers or the High Evolutionary (who contacted him). So maybe in a future Spider-Man arc, we will get an appearance from Spidercide and the High Evolutionary and learn what the secret was.
    The secret is there was no secret. Either the ‘Life of Reilly’ series or some other interview with one of the writers I heard confirmed they didn’t have an actual secret in mind when they wrote that Spidercide subplot during ‘Maximum Clonage’ and were making it up as they went along. What a surprise, eh.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    The secret is there was no secret. Either the ‘Life of Reilly’ series or some other interview with one of the writers I heard confirmed they didn’t have an actual secret in mind when they wrote that Spidercide subplot during ‘Maximum Clonage’ and were making it up as they went along. What a surprise, eh.
    I like to pretend sometimes that Spidercide learned Norman Osborn was behind everything.

At this point, though, I doubt we'll ever get any follow-up whatsoever.

I definitely wouldn't mind the return of Spidercide, though, if a writer had a really interesting idea on what to do with him.

-Pav, who certainly has ideas of his own...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I like to pretend sometimes that Spidercide learned Norman Osborn was behind everything.

At this point, though, I doubt we'll ever get any follow-up whatsoever.

I definitely wouldn't mind the return of Spidercide, though, if a writer had a really interesting idea on what to do with him.

-Pav, who certainly has ideas of his own...
    It'd be kinda funny if a villain returns bragging about a secret from decades ago, only to realize it's something that was outed.

"Peter, you have a sister!"
    "Yeah, I know."
    "Well, did you know that the Skrulls are planning a Secret Invasion?"
    "Yeah, the Avengers stopped that."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

It'd be interesting if it had something to do with the High Evolutionary, like a nascent plan of some sort possibly involving evolution of spiders and the clone(s).
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

It'd be interesting if it had something to do with the High Evolutionary, like a nascent plan of some sort possibly involving evolution of spiders and the clone(s).
    I doubt it. Seeing as Scrier was revealed to be a bunch of interchangeable and anonymous red-shirt cult members in the employ of Norman Osborn and NOT an omnipotent god-like being as he was being built up to be at the time MC was coming out, it doesn’t make much sense that he could reveal anything to Spidercide by touching his forehead. Whatever Scrier cult member was on duty that day probably just triggered some genetic implant in his brain that cleared up any lingering confusion about his origin and nullified any built-in destruction mechanisms Jackal had implanted in there when he cloned him.

Well, that’s my no prize explanation. The real truth is it was a poorly planned subplot in what’s considered to be a pretty bad storyline, even by Clone Saga fans.

Spidercide knew the real identity of FACADE.

Seeing as Scrier was revealed to be a bunch of interchangeable and anonymous red-shirt cult members in the employ of Norman Osborn and NOT an omnipotent god-like being as he was being built up to be at the time MC was coming out, it doesn’t make much sense that he could reveal anything to Spidercide by touching his forehead.
    I seem to recall one Scrier fought the Silver Surfer. How does that figure in?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

If I remember, in 'The Life of Reilly', it was said the cult worshipped a God named Scrier and JMD had plans for him in Silver Surfer.

I'm not interested in Spidercide or any of the clone-era villains. Not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I doubt it. Seeing as Scrier was revealed to be a bunch of interchangeable and anonymous red-shirt cult members in the employ of Norman Osborn and NOT an omnipotent god-like being as he was being built up to be at the time MC was coming out, it doesn’t make much sense that he could reveal anything to Spidercide by touching his forehead. Whatever Scrier cult member was on duty that day probably just triggered some genetic implant in his brain that cleared up any lingering confusion about his origin and nullified any built-in destruction mechanisms Jackal had implanted in there when he cloned him.
    Yeah, this.

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    If I remember, in 'The Life of Reilly', it was said the cult worshipped a God named Scrier and JMD had plans for him in Silver Surfer.
    Yeah, there was an annual (I think) where Spidey did in fact meet the real, cosmic Scrier. I believe Peter teamed up with Man-Thing to access the Nexus of Realities.

As a kid, I remember thinking the art for that issue was crazy.

-Pav, who also thinks maybe there was a character introduced as "the Overrider" or "the Outrider"...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

Probably he figured out what the Rose had discovered later: the Scrier is not an indivisual but an entire secret society under Norman's control.
    I can't begin to imagine what unresolved plot had in mind regarding the High Evolutionary.

I'm surprised that no one has thought to bring Spidercide back. I personally like the character.

Clone Conspiracy would have made way more sense if Spidercide had been the Jackal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

A dark twist would be if the secret involved real people.

"Louis CK's a pervert!"
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets