Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

You know, if this turns into an ongoing written by Ewing and he decides to expand the team, I would love for him to use his love for forgotten D-list characters to bring Cloud back, a character that probably would be done so much better today than it was in the 80s under the Comics Code Authority. Bring Moondragon and Iceman in too while they're at it, just for old time's sake. Now that's a reunion I'd pay to read about!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's kind of the point as far as how this version of the Defenders is supposed to work .
    Where is the fun in reading a book like that? I understand that sometimes in comics of superteams there can be frictions, but it seems that this lineup of Defenders take it to an extreme
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 08-28-2018 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This. From my understanding the title started out as a group of characters who were popular but did not work with long term with the popular teams at the time. EX: Avengers, X-Men, and The Fantastic Four.

The Defenders were the "Don't play well with others but could stomp any threat Super Group"
    So were the original Champions (their gimmick being that they're a West Coast team) but of course they truly had the leftovers and were a laughing stock (the name was only rescued from ridicule when the current teen team claimed it). After the Champs disbanded, Iceman and Angel ended up joining the Defenders.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think that's kind of the point as far as how this version of the Defenders is supposed to work .
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This. From my understanding the title started out as a group of characters who were popular but did not work with long term with the popular teams at the time. EX: Avengers, X-Men, and The Fantastic Four.

The Defenders were the "Don't play well with others but could stomp any threat Super Group"
    Exactly. Before Quesada, Bendis and Co. decided to make the Avengers membership a popularity contest (and I'll never forgive them for that), they were the team that everybody wanted to be a part of, but that not everyone was fit for. While, the Defenders were the guys that never wanted to be on any team, and that nobody really wanted on their team. Dr. Strange lived up to his name and gave every one the creeps. Namor could be your ally one week, and your fiercest enemy the next. Hulk only wanted to be left alone. Surfer was the definition of alien. and so on. Hellcat and Nighthawk were pretty much the exception, and Nighthawk, at least, started out as a bad guy.
    Even without the founding four, there were plenty of outcast and anti-heroes in the Defenders roll-call. Son of Satan was just that. Valkyre had serious trust issues with men. Gargoyle gave his soul to demons. Moondragon was a stuck up _itch who belived herself the Godess of the mind, and so on.... If this becomes an ongoing, I hope to see many or all of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So were the original Champions (their gimmick being that they're a West Coast team) but of course they truly had the leftovers and were a laughing stock (the name was only rescued from ridicule when the current teen team claimed it). After the Champs disbanded, Iceman and Angel ended up joining the Defenders.
    I never saw the Champions as having any similarity with the Defenders. There were more of a predecessor to the West Coast Avengers, but, except for Ghost Rider (who'd fit perfectly with the Defenders) it's members were good team-members and true blue super-heroes. Herc stood out a bit too much in terms of power, but he had already been an Avenger in good standing. Natasha was played more as a super-hero than as a spy, but, also had had her stint as an Avengers ally and member. Angel and Ice-Man had just left the X-Men (and their teammate, the Beast, now hung up with the Avengers). Even Newbies Black Goliath and Darkstar had the makings of your typical Avengers (Foster even hung aroiund them quite a while in his early days).
    If The Defenders do become an ongoing, I hope GR joins them (the motorcycle version. Don't like the car one that they have hanging with the Avengers).

Peace

Astonishing Member

Since Silver Surfer and Namor donīt have any ongoings now,so it would be interesting to see a new classic Defenders ongoing because this way it would be a way to feature them more in the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    No fair, Gaastra showing some of my favorite Defenders covers!

I love Valkyrie and those were some good issues!

Now that Valkyrie is back in her own body as opposed to the majority of the original run, she will be more of a major player in terms of power.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    This multiple one shots and minis leading into books and events thing has got to stop.

Ewiing somehow made Ultimates extremely tedious and boring so... I'm not exactly putting this on the pull list
    Normally I'd agree with you. However, in this specific instance it's not that bad. It's essentially 5 zero issues, most likely introducing how these characters are in their current status. I mean sure, everyone knows who namor and silver surfer are, but not everyone keeps up with their story, and to a lesser degree you could say the same for strange and hulk.

This isn't nearly as bad as, say, 4 separate minnies leading into a one shot leading into another Minnie (looking at you, bub)

Also, I know you didn't like ultimates, which, fair enough, neither did I (although for me is was more of an art issue), but he's been killing it on hulk. If the defenders is the same level of quality as his hulk book, I'd recommend checking out the series when it releases if the one shots seem to much.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Since Silver Surfer and Namor donīt have any ongoings now,so it would be interesting to see a new classic Defenders ongoing because this way it would be a way to feature them more in the stories.
    Namor doesn't have a solo, but he is currently in X-Men Red.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Intriguing! As other here have already said, depending on who the writer is, I'll definitely give this a looksee.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Okay, Ewing is probably my current favorite Marvel writer. Garney and Bennet are among my favorite artists. So, I'm probably gonna get this, even if it's just the Defenders one-shot. As a plus, I hope Marvel see this as a good time to finally give us a TPB of the complete Busiek and Larsen Defenders series from the 90's (with the Order included, for a good mesure). That series was, IMHO, a clear example that, with the right twist, this is a concept that can work.

Peace
    Busiek tried, I think, to capture the Gerber era, but failed miserably. And Larsen was not a good choice as artist. The Order was better. I don't think anyone can do what Gerber did -- so they shouldn't even try.

Astonishing Member

Well, that's one perspective. I think the Champions became a better book and team once Mantlo/Byrne took over, but it was probably too late to save the book. The Isabella issues that launched the series weren't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Well, that's one perspective. I think the Champions became a better book and team once Mantlo/Byrne took over, but it was probably too late to save the book. The Isabella issues that launched the series weren't very good.
    I agree. But, except for the Don Heck on art issues (which the inker really ruined) I don't mind so much the Isabella's issues. All in all, I really liked the Champions (and I absolutely hate the new teens).

Peace

Peace

Astonishing Member

Namor doesn't have a solo, but he is currently in X-Men Red.
    Thanks for the info.