Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Greatest team of all Marvel Time in my opinion. I will buy each cover! (or at least my favorite one).
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Does anyone have thoughts on Jason Latour? I know the other names and they're all great, but I'm not familiar with his work.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Mighty Member

I'm pretty happy with the lineup. This lineup really just happened in a handful of stories in the original Defenders, most stories involved other characters and sometimes one or two of the big four. Later Busiek and Larson revived it in the late 90s but Larsen art was really an acquired taste. So get a great artist onboard and I'm so in for this book!! I'd honestly would love to see McGuinness but he is in Avengers already.

It would be wonderful if after the Avengers run in the MCU, the studio went with the Defenders for 3-5 movies!
    Years before Kal-El ever landed from Space; tales were told of the ultimate warrior/hero; Conan the Barbarian!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Does anyone have thoughts on Jason Latour? I know the other names and they're all great, but I'm not familiar with his work.
    He wrote a pretty good but short run on Winter Soldier a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

THE DEFENDERS: THE BEST DEFENSE
    Written by AL EWING
    Art by JOE BENNETT
    SOLD! I'll even get the floppies.
    The Sidekicks Podcast made by comics newbies, for comics newbies.

I'm really surprised to see Marvel revive the Defenders name with the original team rather then continue promoting the Netflix group.

Maybe they want to save that for Marvel Knights?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I personally never found the dynamic between these characters interesting tbh. They were put together because of their power rather than chemistry together.
    Although on-paper I feel like this team should have plenty of chemistry considering their personalities and the history some of them have with each other.

But that's always in the writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I was a big fan of the Defenders back in the day, so I'll happily check this out.

That said, I'm not sure the Defenders really works as anything more than occasional minis. I don't think we'll ever get the original Defenders to work as a on-going. Really, apart from the SUrfer most of the Defenders are basically tied to the Avengers anyways.
    Well, this is being set-up as a series of one-shots so I don't foresee an actual ongoing unless sales indicate a demand for such (which I don't foresee).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I really mostly know him from the last volume of Wolverine and the X-Men and Spider-Gwen.

I guess he'd probably fit a Slott-esque Silver Surfer one-shot, which is pretty much what I see him writing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    It would be wonderful if after the Avengers run in the MCU, the studio went with the Defenders for 3-5 movies!
    That would be awesome! They just need to introduce Namor and the Surfer, and with the Fantastic Four movie almost a given, I'd say this could be very possible!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    He wrote a pretty good but short run on Winter Soldier a few years back.
    I actually liked Latour's run better than Brubaker's.

As for the return of the Defenders, I'm guessing these one-shots will be a prelude to an actual ongoing. Likely written by Ewing (at least I hope so) and drawn by Garney.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I've never really been a fan of any team with Hulk on it, and the only time I liked Namor on a team was when he was with the Invaders. But I guess this is more about appealing to the classic nostalgia of yore than fielding a reimagined Defenders core that could someday be the "classic" for future generations. I'll keep it on my radar, because of the Silver Surfer, but otherwise doubt that I'll buy it.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 08-24-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

https://www.newsarama.com/41545-marv...going-yet.html
    IMMORTAL HULK: THE BEST DEFENSE
    Written by AL EWING
    Art by SIMONE DI MEO

NAMOR: THE BEST DEFENSE
    Written by CHIP ZDARSKY
    Art by CARLOS MAGNO

DOCTOR STRANGE: THE BEST DEFENSE
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN
    Art by GREG SMALLWOOD

SILVER SURFER: THE BEST DEFENSE
    Written by JASON LATOUR
    Art by JASON LATOUR

THE DEFENDERS: THE BEST DEFENSE
    Written by AL EWING
    Art by JOE BENNETT
    I thought this would perhaps explain why they didn't bother to relaunch or continue Bendis' Defenders under a different writer, but it doesn't seem like they're putting that much effort into bringing the original Defenders brand back either, 'cause they didn't even bother to name the mini ''Defenders'' for the most part. LOL Unless this is leading to an actual new book, it seems like a weird, random move that I'm not particularly crazy about, as nostalgia for the main 4 alone doesn't really appeal to me. The Defenders were at their best when other characters joined in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Dad View Post
    I find that extremely unlikely. Maybe even impossible. If Kevin Feige was truly interested in Defenders as a movie franchise, he would've NEVER let Marvel Television use it as the name of a TV show. The sad truth is that what's greenlit on TV are the things that were considered disposable by the movie side.

Oh, this looks and sounds neat. Hopefully if these sell well enough we'll see an ongoing spin out of it. I'm on board.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Ultimate Member

The issue I have with this is for some reason Marvel struggle to keep the Defenders with the original on-going for an extended period.

I actually really enjoyed the original book but modern writers might struggle with a team comprised of over powered characters.

The defenders should be the last line against the worst supernatural and cosmic threats. They deal with the threats to big for the avengers! (who did call them in to take over in the original book) It's also the toughest hero team to be on as we see in "day of the defenders." Look at the members. You have surfer and hulk on the same team! This should be the most powerful team in the marvel universe dealing with the worst threats but they are seen as a "3rd rate" team by comic fans.

The one thing a hate about this new series is that there are no females. You put surfer who was not a founding member (he joined later) so why not add a female member? Maybe the female captain universe?

Mighty Member

Normally im not a fan of Marvel doing the whole "multiple books leading into launching a new book" business model approach. Its the reason I refused to buy any of the wolverine minis. However, as these are all one shots, I'll just look at them as weekly prequel comics leading into the main book. I wish there was a little bit more info on the premise, although if marvel is keeping up with their continuity (which, to their credit, they've been much better about recently) theres a few things I noticed that Might be interesting:

This book is 3/4 antagonistic characters. Silver surfer is the herald of galactus again, Hulk is off the reservation, and will be fighting the avengers as will namor. Strange is parting ways with the avengers after the first arc: maybe this team will be a counterpoint to the avengers