Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The defenders should be the last line against the worst supernatural and cosmic threats. They deal with the threats to big for the avengers! (who did call them in to take over in the original book) It's also the toughest hero team to be on as we see in "day of the defenders." Look at the members. You have surfer and hulk on the same team! This should be the most powerful team in the marvel universe dealing with the worst threats but they are seen as a "3rd rate" team by comic fans.

The one thing a hate about this new series is that there are no females. You put surfer who was not a founding member (he joined later) so why not add a female member? Maybe the female captain universe?
    I've looked it up. While Surfer appeared in #2 and was mentioned in #1, he only actually joined in #8. Meanwhile Valkyrie joined in #4, the same issue number that Cap joined the Avengers in. Surely she should be considered a founder too?

Of course Val's unavailable because of Asgardians of the Galaxy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The defenders should be the last line against the worst supernatural and cosmic threats. They deal with the threats to big for the avengers! (who did call them in to take over in the original book) It's also the toughest hero team to be on as we see in "day of the defenders." Look at the members. You have surfer and hulk on the same team! This should be the most powerful team in the marvel universe dealing with the worst threats but they are seen as a "3rd rate" team by comic fans.

The one thing a hate about this new series is that there are no females. You put surfer who was not a founding member (he joined later) so why not add a female member? Maybe the female captain universe?
    Well, at the moment, there is no team to speak of.

If this gets to the point where the book is actually relaunched, I bet there'll be an additional member or two.

And yeah, this team is the absolute heaviest hitters. They really should be regarded as the last line of defense in the MU.

Yeah, if it gets an ongoing, they can add Hellcat, Nighthawk, and maybe a couple of newer heroes? For example, they could use Jane Foster when she gets her powers back, female Thor would be a suitable Valkyrie substitute. Or maybe Archangel, Beast or Iceman? Those three were all in the final lineup before the book got cancelled to make way for X-Factor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Not going to lie....I really liked the Street Level Team with Luke, DD, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist and I wish they could have gotten more of a shot. However, I can't say that I am disappointed that it looks like the band is back together.

Silver Surfer and Namor on the same team again? You know I'm there.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

People should really give the book(s) a chance. There will more then likely be more characters added, and added soon, if the titles do well.

This talk of no female characters is probably the furthest from being what is actually going to happen. Marvel is probably just intro'ing what is familiar and then when people read it introducing something new or adding elements that are also familiar. (EX Valkyrie, MoonDragon, Ext)

Be patient.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    People should really give the book(s) a chance. There will more then likely be more characters added, and added soon, if the titles do well.

This talk of no female characters is probably the furthest from being what is actually going to happen. Marvel is probably just intro'ing what is familiar and then when people read it introducing something new or adding elements that are also familiar. (EX Valkyrie, MoonDragon, Ext)

Be patient.
    Once Valkyrie and/or Hellcat are confirmed, I'll think about giving the book a chance, meanwhile it's a total NOPE with capital letters.

Mighty Member

I will be happy if the first two years they concentrate on just these four characters. Have Valkyrie and Hellcat around but concentrate on the big four for awhile cause these four never had enough stories to really develop their team. You can have several arcs that go from Atlantis and war with Attuma and Krang to a cosmic threat involving Galactus, to several realms fighting the likes of Mephisto and Thanos and maybe end up with another Avengers vs Defenders showdown involving Dormammu. So many villains they could dust off, I just hope they don't do the wacky stuff with Xemmu, and fill the book of third stringers. I'd like to see a group that can be taken as seriously as the Avengers and the X-Men.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post

Be patient.
    Do you think the female characters will get one-shots or just be included? Regardless, I can criticize that the announcements were exclusively male or that the chance of female character inclusion is dependent on the success of the male characters.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Eh, I don't find this line-up very exciting at all.
    I wish we had a Midnight Sons book or the street-level team again, because they'd at least have distinct roles and purpose.
    The one way I could see a Defenders book like this working would be to do it like Fraction's run and focus on the truly weird side of the MU, make this as comic book-y as it gets and get someone like Doc Shaner on art.

iMan 42s

You all do realize this is very likely the preparation stages for the MCU right?

Doctor Strange and Hulk are existing properties.

However Namor and Silver Surfer are Fantastic Four which Marvel regains in full by 2019. Namor is complicated by Universal which while Marvel has control over, other parties are still involved which may involve some legal work. So who else does Marvel have access to? Valkyrie. And when that doesn't work they also have a certain other Ant themed superhero.

The corporate reason this is happening very likely is that post-Avengers 4, we will have a new team and Marvel is screening candidates for that. Whatever catches on here will likely be how Marvel is moving forward.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Why are people asking for more characters? Namor, Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange don't have their ongoings right now. I will be happy to read about those characters finally in a monthly. I wouldn't want to dilute the space to these characters which is already limited and shared within them with even more characters. I guess you can never please everyone.

Last edited by Thor-El; 08-25-2018 at 07:09 AM.

hopefully this will be an ongoing plus an animated feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Do you think the female characters will get one-shots or just be included? Regardless, I can criticize that the announcements were exclusively male or that the chance of female character inclusion is dependent on the success of the male characters.
    I honestly don't think that it is about that at all. I'm also fairly certain no one at a Marvel said "Let's not add any female characters because they don't sell" or anything close to that when creating these books. It's clearly a harkening to something that was familiar to give it a push.

Essh, why does everything on this forum have to be coated with evil intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Why are people asking for more characters? Namor, Silver Surfer and Dr. Strange don't have their ongoings right now. I will be happy to read about those characters finally in a monthly. I wouldn't want to dilute the space to these characters which is already limited and shared within them with even more characters. I guess you can never please everyone.

Doctor Strange has an ongoing. And honestly if I'm asking for more characters, is because I don't give a huge damn about this roster. Why should I buy a series that features characters I'm not interested at all? Is there any reason I should be excited or happy for these characters having an ongoing together?
    Also I'm not very fond of the art, it's not a style I like, if there were characters that I cared for, I could give it a chance (like with the last run of the Thunderbolts whose art was fugly because of Malin).
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 08-25-2018 at 07:34 AM.

I love Greg Smallwood's art, Doc Strange is getting all the great artists rn + Al Ewing might be dealing with the horrible misfire of Surfer's status quo with Galactus.

Wish Bunn was on Namor so we could get Loa, but I guess this will be yet another sausage fest with no POC.