Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This suggests one thing to me: Netflix has no where near the pull with Marvel editorial that Feige's office enjoys.
    The idea that either the TV or movie end of Marvel exerts any special control over publishing exists only in the minds of some fans.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well damn, that's dope.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I personally never found the dynamic between these characters interesting tbh. They were put together because of their power rather than chemistry together.
    The original three were actually The Hulk, The Silver Surfer, and The Submariner. Their unifying schtick was being powerful, misunderstood outsiders (as close as you got to anti-heroes back in those days), who nonetheless found a common reason to stand together.

When Marvel launched an ongoing feature was when they brought in Doctor Strange (I seem to remember hearing that The Silver Surfer having been declared off-limits for some reason).

Mighty Member

Right now I would love to see Cumberbatch and Ruffalo teaming up with 2 new artists playing Surfer and Namor. If it was me I'd use CG for both Namor and Surfer. Even though Namor could easily be a real actor I think the character could benefit from the layer of weirdness that CGI always casts visually over the character. Either that or get a bodybuilder/wrestler like Batista & the Rock, perhaps someone like John Cena.

Mighty Member

To me the main appeal of this cast is that it pairs two beloved successful properties from the MCU with two extremely popular and well known Marvel Comics characters that still haven't been brought into the MCU and that have an extremely rich history in the comics. Any way you look at it is a wealth of great possibilities for any creative team.

The original three were actually The Hulk, The Silver Surfer, and The Submariner. Their unifying schtick was being powerful, misunderstood outsiders (as close as you got to anti-heroes back in those days), who nonetheless found a common reason to stand together.

When Marvel launched an ongoing feature was when they brought in Doctor Strange (I seem to remember hearing that The Silver Surfer having been declared off-limits for some reason).
    This. And they where also the characters (at the time) who where well known but didn't really work for the popular teams they had. Like the FF, Avengers, and the X-Men.

The Defenders was a way to get those characters interacting with other Marvel characters while having an impact on the Marvel Universe as a whole.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    It makes perfect sense to me. Just like Ant-Man and the Wasp were there before Captain America but they don't get to be part of "the big three". It comes down to popularity. Its much bigger a deal to have a group made of Hulk, Namor, Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer than one that replaces Surfer with Valkyrie.
    Popularity as a character or popularity on the team? Cap counts as part of the big three because he was on the Avengers for a very long time and was effectively the de facto leader for most of it. Silver Surfer was in maybe seven issues out of the first twenty.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

To me the Defenders were always more Strange, Hulk, Hellcat, Valkrye, and Nighthawk more the the original 4 anyway. The Surfer and Namor are just not good fits for a team to me, and never really have been.

Astonishing Member

As a fan of he classic Defenders this is quite cool to me.
    And those covers are awesome.

Invincible Member

The way I heard it is that Stan Lee had dibbs on the Surfer so no one else could use him as an ongoing character. This policy continued until the mid-80's even though Stan had stopped writing comics regularly long before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Popularity as a character or popularity on the team? Cap counts as part of the big three because he was on the Avengers for a very long time and was effectively the de facto leader for most of it. Silver Surfer was in maybe seven issues out of the first twenty.
    I'm sorry....but this can't be taken seriously.

The Silver Surfer is continually associated with Defenders wether he has actually been a member or not. He was even on the recent formation of the team pre-Netflix Defenders. When the masses think Defenders Silver Surfer's name will always be there.

Valkrye is going to be on a new team, in space no less, and until recently has barley been heavily associated with anything. Even to extent Thor.

You could say why not use Hellcat then? Well Marvel seems to be content in keeping this watered down version of her:

That cuteise "OMG" vibe probably not going run well with Zombie Hulk and Hobo Strange Marvel is going with. Marvel could change her back around to a state when she was actually interesting but with the current trend of things.....lets just say I doubt it. But even if they did have plans of doing so it would be a stupid business/marketing decision to slap fans in the face with a serious Hellcat art out of no where. Which goes back to being patient.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-26-2018 at 05:53 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Hellcat joined much later than Valkyrie. I don't have a problem with her not being considered part of the classic team (I also have no problem with Kate Leth's Hellcat series. To me, it fits in with her romance comic roots). Silver Surfer has been a part of Defender teams, but is he a classic member? I don't think the number of issues he was in the book supports it. Certainly, it doesn't support it to the exclusion of Valkyrie.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Huh, I dunno about this. And do the Marvel heroes really wanna be around Namor anymore these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Hellcat joined much later than Valkyrie. I don't have a problem with her not being considered part of the classic team (I also have no problem with Kate Leth's Hellcat series. To me, it fits in with her romance comic roots). Silver Surfer has been a part of Defender teams, but is he a classic member? I don't think the number of issues he was in the book supports it. Certainly, it doesn't support it to the exclusion of Valkyrie.
    You may not see it that way but that doesn't mean that he isn't a "Classic" member.

And as many people have already stated, Valkyrie is in SPACE! On a team getting some love from Marvel at the very least.

Again, no offense meant but this is why your point can't be taken seriously.

Heck we don't even know if Valkyrie or any other female character is slated to show up yet or not. For all we know Jessica Jones could hop on this team. Give it some time be for jumping to conclusions.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 08-26-2018 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    You may not see that way but that doesn't mean that he isn't a "Classic" member.

And as many people have already stated, Valkyrie is in SPACE! On a team getting some love from Marvel at the very least.

Again, no offense meant but this is why your point can't be taken seriously.

Heck we don't even know if Valkyrie or any other female character is slated to show up yet or not. For all we know Jessica Jones could hop on this team. Give it some time be for jumping to conclusions.
    And Strange and Black Panther are in space yet they still appear in Avengers. Why can't Valkyrie appear in defenders while being in another team in space too? Your reasoning to exclude her can't be considered serious either.
    Last edited by Johnrevenge; 08-26-2018 at 06:21 AM.