Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Marvel Twins Idea

Here’s a question. What would you guys think of a series that placed Billy and Mary on even billing. After all, she’s had her own set of heroes, something no one else ever had, not even Freddy. However, even with that, she’s usually played as a sidekick. So, would you like to see a series where they’re more equals in power?
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-24-2018 at 03:27 PM.

From N52 Shazam^

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    she’s usually played as a sidekick.
    At Fawcett she headlined her own comic in WOW for years

And eventually had her own Mary Marvel book too.

And in The Marvel Family book, she had her own solo adventures.

So she's been more than a sidekick.

Yeah it would be nice if DC actually showcased her as much. With her own title and adventures.

As far as adventure specifically with her and Billy, would definitely love to see that!
    And hope the N52 and extended launch continues to focus on her and confirms they are still in fact brother and sister, there were definitely hints that they are, it just hasn't been completely revealed yet.
    Of all the kids powered up, although she embodies courage, they definitely showcase Billy and Mary on more equal footing. And were hints she was already connecting to the magic and power on her own.
    Did you read it?

With the narrative juggling all the kids and a team dynamic, she definitely was the one who got her solo moment to shine!

I also like her with the whole new SHAZAMILY though, and absolutely want to see that continue.
    Hopefully it's a success, and they can spin her off into stories and adventure that focus specifically on her.
    And eventually her own book again.

DC has floundered with this franchise, hopefully the new launch (and movie) takes off.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-24-2018 at 05:09 PM.

It would fast forward the story a bit, which I personally think is always good.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

From N52 Shazam^

Yeah it would be nice if DC actually showcased her as much. With her own title and adventures.

As far as adventure specifically with her and Billy, would definitely love to see that!
    And hope the N52 and extended launch continues to focus on her and confirms they are still in fact brother and sister, there were definitely hints that they are, it just hasn't been completely revealed yet.
    Of all the kids powered up, although she embodies courage, they definitely showcase Billy and Mary on more equal footing. And were hints she was already connecting to the magic and power on her own.
    Did you read it?

With the narrative juggling all the kids and a team dynamic, she definitely was the one who got her solo moment to shine!

I also like her with the whole new SHAZAMILY though, and absolutely want to see that continue.
    Hopefully it's a success, and they can spin her off into stories and adventure that focus specifically on her.

DC has floundered with this franchise, hopefully the new launch (and movie) takes off.
    I like the sketch a lot! Did you do that, Guicho?

Mary is definitely one of the most powerful female characters and should be shown as such! I like that last pic showing Mary's muscles!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I like the sketch a lot! Did you do that, Guicho?
    LOL no way, I wish! All the images i posted are from Geoff Johns & Gary Frank's N52 SHAZAM! launch.
    That sketch was Garry Franks concept for Mary for the series.
    It's telling that although it wasn't revealed in the story he definitely labeled her as Shazam's Twin sister.
    That, and other hints throughout the story were hints that it would inevitably be revealed they were in fact long lost twins.

Likely it's coming up in Geoff Johns & Dale Eaglesham's upcoming continuation of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Mary is definitely one of the most powerful female characters and should be shown as such! I like that last pic showing Mary's muscles!
    Absolutely, they just hinted at her potential so far, she of all the kids was the only one who with Billy could hear the voice in the mirror, particularly when it said the word "family". Hinting she's connecting to the magic.
    And yes she looks terrific!

I wish Gary Frank could have continued the run, yet Dale Eaglesham's look for the Twins is pretty great too, definitely beyond worthy successor.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-24-2018 at 06:54 PM.

From N52 Shazam^

Did you read it?

No, I haven’t read it. No library around me has it and I’m not confident enough I’ll like it to pay $25 for a digital copy.

Retired

In the Fawcett comics Mary and Freddy were supposed to have just as much power as Captain Marvel. I guess the thing that makes them seem junior to Cap is the fact they don't change into adults when they transform and they look exactly like themselves. But it's tricky with Mary if she transforms into a full grown woman. You don't want the comics to be too exploitive.

And it was a good thing that Freddy didn't transform. He was introduced in the comics before Mary. It gave them a chance to show a kid super-hero in contrast to the adult-looking Captain Marvel. And there always seemed to be a little mutual attraction between Mary and Freddy (what she couldn't have with her twin brother, Billy). So if Mary became an adult and Freddy stayed a kid, that would be problematic, too.

I much prefer that Mary stays a teen when she transforms. And my favourite version of Mary was by Bob Oksner who gave her a sweet, innocent look that suited her character. Comics too often over-sexualize and mature female characters, even the ones that are supposed to be teens. It's nice to have one girl who stays a girl.

I think she'd already been established as she was more aging up in the World's Finest back ups (Don Newton art) It might even go further back?

As well as the 90's power of SHAZAM had her recognizably aging up, while Freddy stayed a bit younger and it was never awkward.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-25-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Retired

Another thing is that, to me, Cap didn't look like Billy all grown up. He looked like a different person. Whereas, when artists age up Mary, they just draw her as looking like Mary but with bigger boobs and taller. So that does seem like a sexualized Mary. Like, I wonder if you applied the same C.C. Beck aesthetic to an adult female hero, what would she look like? She'd have to have squinty eyes, smoothed back hair and a bulky body. Big Barda fits that description better than the usual aged up Mary Marvels, now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Another thing is that, to me, Cap didn't look like Billy all grown up. He looked like a different person. Whereas, when artists age up Mary, they just draw her as looking like Mary but with bigger boobs and taller. So that does seem like a sexualized Mary. Like, I wonder if you applied the same C.C. Beck aesthetic to an adult female hero, what would she look like? She'd have to have squinty eyes, smoothed back hair and a bulky body. Big Barda fits that description better than the usual aged up Mary Marvels, now that I think about it.
    Not really. It was the 40’s; I’d look at the other heroines of the time to get an idea of what she’d look like. After all, Captain Marvel didn’t look all too different from the heroes of his time.

As for sexualization, then make her costume essentially the same as her brother’s and don’t over exaggerate her designs. They’re already pretty much wearing a uniform, as Black Adam’s is already, in Billy’s own observation, the same outfit, but Black. A grown woman can be drawn nonsexualized.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-25-2018 at 05:53 AM.

LOL no way, I wish! All the images i posted are from Geoff Johns & Gary Frank's N52 SHAZAM! launch.
    That sketch was Garry Franks concept for Mary for the series.
    It's telling that although it wasn't revealed in the story he definitely labeled her as Shazam's Twin sister.
    That, and other hints throughout the story were hints that it would inevitably be revealed they were in fact long lost twins.

Likely it's coming up in Geoff Johns & Dale Eaglesham's upcoming continuation of the story.
    Yeah, Mary was adopted but her adoptive parents died and she ended up back in the fostering system. It's not impossible for her real parents to have had her taken away, then Billy is born and also ends up in care. Later, they coincidentally end up in the same foster home - nobody realises they're related because Mary isn't called Batson, and they only find out the truth later. It's definitely something Johns could reveal in the new run. With that reveal, the only real change would be that Mary is now older than Billy, which she wasn't in the past.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Mary was adopted but her adoptive parents died and she ended up back in the fostering system. It's not impossible for her real parents to have had her taken away, then Billy is born and also ends up in care. Later, they coincidentally end up in the same foster home - nobody realises they're related because Mary isn't called Batson, and they only find out the truth later. It's definitely something Johns could reveal in the new run. With that reveal, the only real change would be that Mary is now older than Billy, which she wasn't in the past.
    Which wouldn’t be lacking in precedence, since the Johnny DC stories made Billy slightly older.

Retired

Billy and Mary are the Luke and Leia of Fawcett comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Following up in the main Captain Marvel / SHAZAM appreciation since there is a lot of overlap discussion. - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...93#post3866393

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Billy and Mary are the Luke and Leia of Fawcett comics.
    And - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post3866419
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-25-2018 at 09:31 AM.