Default Is Darth Vader TOO powerful in the current comic series?

I can see him winning lightsaber battles vs. former Jedi, that makes sense. But some of the things he's doing with the force in the current series are pretty incredible. So incredible it doesn't seem that he's on the same power level as his version in the movies.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Vader series is the best Star Wars comic series currently, but Vader's crazy force powers can be distracting.

iMan 42s

We know from the OT he was crazy powerful, and it's stated by Vader himself that even the Death Star is nothing compared to the Force.

The thing is however is that the OT had a lot of context.
    -Kenobi was an old man merely buying time for Luke. Vader is right there and Stormtroopers are surrounding him, he isn't leaving that hallway.
    -He thought he could just shoot down Luke as he wasn't really expecting Luke to actually make the shot even with the Force, and then unexpected Millennium Falcon.
    -He wasn't trying to kill Luke on Bespin.
    -His heart just wasn't in it during Return of the Jedi.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

What we are seeing Vader pull off now iswhat he was always supposed to be able to do, but couldn't because of limitations in the OT's budget and technical means.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    We know from the OT he was crazy powerful, and it's stated by Vader himself that even the Death Star is nothing compared to the Force.

The thing is however is that the OT had a lot of context.
    -Kenobi was an old man merely buying time for Luke. Vader is right there and Stormtroopers are surrounding him, he isn't leaving that hallway.
    -He thought he could just shoot down Luke as he wasn't really expecting Luke to actually make the shot even with the Force, and then unexpected Millennium Falcon.
    -He wasn't trying to kill Luke on Bespin.
    -His heart just wasn't in it during Return of the Jedi.
    All excellent points

Maybe age too? This is sort of a younger Vader, remember, only a few years after ROTS. I don't think he's even 30 yet.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I can see him winning lightsaber battles vs. former Jedi, that makes sense. But some of the things he's doing with the force in the current series are pretty incredible. So incredible it doesn't seem that he's on the same power level as his version in the movies.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Vader series is the best Star Wars comic series currently, but Vader's crazy force powers can be distracting.

Two of his wins were by distraction, and he was getting his ass handed to him by Kirak until beating him by force choke. I actually thought that ending to the fight was kind of cheap. In fact, I thought it would've been better-written if Vader had more convincing wins against Kirak & Eeth Koth.....I'm not saying Kirak shouldn't have dominated Vader for most of the fight. It made sense, as Kirak was a badass and that was Vader's first fight against a jedi after acquiring his injuries from his defeat against Obi-Wan.

Astonishing Member

Revan'd still kick his ass.

Mighty Member

Check out the Lord's of the Sith novel. It's part of the current cannon and takes place earlier in Vader's existence (like the new comics). It was really impressive (and eye-opening) to see what both Vader and the Emperor were capable of when really pushed to their limits.

And I agree with the earlier poster about the OT representation. He was older, and at that point was more than comfortable with who he was/what he could do, so in turn was more calculated, only acting as necessary. He wasn't the young flashy, angry Anakin/Vader with a chip on his shoulder ready to light the world on fire, as is life imo.
    Last edited by awayne83; 09-15-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Mighty Member

Check out the Lord's of the Sith novel. It's part of the current cannon and takes place earlier in Vader's existence (like the new comics). It was really impressive (and eye-opening) to see what both Vader and the Emperor were capable of when really pushed to their limits.

And I agree with the earlier poster about the OT representation. He was older, and at that point was more than comfortable with who he was/what he could do, so in turn was more calculated, only acting as necessary. His reputation also preceded him at this point. He wasn't the young flashy, angry Anakin/Vader with a chip on his shoulder ready to light the world on fire, as is life imo.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I loved the previous series by Gillen but after several tries, I really don't like this current series (mostly the ideas behind it)

Why is Vader considered too powerful? What types of feats has he shown?