Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I can't fathom how movies as bad as the Transformers movies keep making money. The first one had the novelty factor, but aside from that was crap, and the rest of the trilogy had no redeeming qualities. At least Armageddon had Bruce Willis and a cool climax.

Didn't see Avatar in theaters, but when I did see it I was unimpressed. The world of Pandora is gorgeous and mesmerizing. But everything else is bland and cliche at best. I think it's easily Cameron's worst movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The world of Pandora is gorgeous and mesmerizing
    I think that's the whole point of the movie, that was a technical demonstration.

But while i'm not a huge fan of Avatar now, i'm not going to pretend that i didn't enjoy it very much when i first watched it.

Cause i did. That was a blast.

Like Titanic, now lot of people are looking back and enjoy making some good fun about it. Back then? Man, that was borderline a cult.

Just that close to become a religion with Leo as its prophet.

I am constantly surprised by the success of Melissa McCarthy's movies, those where she is the lead.
    I have watched one or two, those comedy films are best described as "funny not found".

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by origami View Post
    Alice Through The Looking Glass was a box office bomb, I have a strong feeling Maleficent 2 will suffer the same fate
    Both Depp and Jolie have been inspiring bad headlines since their personal issues were exposed so yeah Maleficent might bomb hard.

I am constantly surprised by the success of Melissa McCarthy's movies, those where she is the lead.
    I have watched one or two, those comedy films are best described as "funny not found".
    supply and demand. i have thought the same with Tyler Perry movies - his content makes me cringe but ppl still flock to the cinemas to watch them
    Last edited by Tofali; 08-27-2018 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Well, the transformers movies are an obvious answer. (even if the "why" is quite easy to answer really)

I would add Signs (2002), Pearl Harbor (2001) and Armageddon (1998).

Yeah, i know. Micheal Bay....what can i say? Not my fault if so many people are enjoying his movies.
    Signs isn't a Michael Bay movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Signs isn't a Michael Bay movie.
    Yeah, i know.

Never said it was.

Ultimate Member

I can understand the Avatar hate but I freaking watched that movie about 4 times in the theater then.

I loved the movie. I simply marveled at Pandora and the movie basically being a visual effects display.

Watching it on TV now and it doesn't hold up very well, especially without the 3-D effects.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Those awful Friedberg, Friedberg & Seltzer "comedies." Some of the very worst movies ever made, yet all of them make money.
    Agreed. They were a poor man's Zucker, Abrahams, & Zucker. Now ZAZ knew how to make absurd parody movies filled with pop cultural references, in large part also by featuring actors with excellent comedic delivery. The 2000s spoof movies were uninspired and by-the-numbers.

And this is coming from someone who prefers the Mel Brooks and Monty Python brand of satire to ZAZ's.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    What do you mean the CGI wasn't all that great?

Avatar was using groundbreaking CGI at the time. Of course if your comparing it to today's CGI, yeah you have a point.

But the CGI they were using at the time was amazing.
    I still think the CGI in Avatar holds up to today's movies, to an extent. But really, the story to me is just so bland that it almost invalidates the technology.

I think back to the Abyss, which is arguably a straighter, more direct, and harder sci-fi story than Avatar, but at the time 30 years ago was lauded for its effects. The story is still pretty captivating to me, and so chances are that if I'm channel surfing and the choice (somehow) comes down to the Abyss vs. Avatar, I'll still choose the Abyss.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Agreed. They were a poor man's Zucker, Abrahams, & Zucker. Now ZAZ knew how to make absurd parody movies filled with pop cultural references, in large part also by featuring actors with excellent comedic delivery. The 2000s spoof movies were uninspired and by-the-numbers.
    For me, part of the failure of the 2000s spoofs was that they would hire actors and pop musicians who were more flavor of the month, rather than actors with that comedic delivery. It makes sense to an extent that they would thus feature trendier celebrities to appeal to younger markets, but on the other hand it's also pretty cynical in that therefore studios believe younger markets would be dumber and want more superficial movies. They're straight up cash-grabs, uninspired and not very subtle about it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Crash. The movie approached it's subject matter with seriousness and nuance of a Saturday morning cartoon. Not only was a box office success but it also won three academy awards including best picture.
    so it would've been better if an animated version of G.I. Joe's Roadblock showed up (voiced by Kene Holiday, of course!) and had a little chat with the audience at the end?

"and knowing is half the battle!"

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Yeah, i know.

Never said it was.
    You implied you thought it was by lumping it in with two Michael Bay movies and not mentioning Shyamalan.

Newest Jumanji: Halfway through it I just wanted it to end so I can do something else. I was really confused it was so well praised

Bridesmaids: I guess that type of humor just doesn't work for me. I don't think I laughed the whole movie

Maleficient: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

The Third Hunger Games: after I saw this one I never actually saw the last one. Thta is how bad it was, I didnt even care what happens anymore.

All the Twilights: How did this happen
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Newest Jumanji: Halfway through it I just wanted it to end so I can do something else. I was really confused it was so well praised

Bridesmaids: I guess that type of humor just doesn't work for me. I don't think I laughed the whole movie

Maleficient: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz

The Third Hunger Games: after I saw this one I never actually saw the last one. Thta is how bad it was, I didnt even care what happens anymore.

All the Twilights: How did this happen
    Humor is subjective, I laughed at Bridesmaids, on the other hand I don't get Adam Sandler, including "Waterboy"

Liked Maleficent, thought it was an interesting retelling of the Disney movie.

The problem with Hunger games 3 is the third novel was also the weakest of the 3.

I don't get Twilight either, the books are horrible. Maybe teen girl fantasy?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

She's a mixed bag. I thought Spy and The Heat were pretty funny, The Boss, Tammy and Identity Thief, not so much.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    She's a mixed bag. I thought Spy and The Heat were pretty funny, The Boss, Tammy and Identity Thief, not so much.
    I hated Identity Thief. And I hated her character so much I wanted to see her die in a horrible way, or for Jason Bateman to kill her himself.