Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The only time I remember him getting beaten w/o being destroyed was the 1st appearance of Jocasta.
    Secret Wars. Twice.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Huh? He didn't get destroyed but he got his ass kicked. In the first Jocasta appearance, they chased him away by threatening to destroy Jocasta's shell.

Extraordinary Member

Ultron's problem in the movie is that he's kind of a comedy character. Joss Whedon's way of writing is to alternate funny and scary moments very quickly, so you never know which you'll get at any time. I think with Ultron the moments that were supposed to make him scary were cut out or didn't play, so it made him seem weak.

The trailer, with Ultron reciting the lyrics of "I've Got No Strings" in a creepy way, sounded like more the scary/funny character we thought Ultron would turn out to be.

Plus there's the plot problem: he never wins a fight against the Avengers. The Avengers get demoralized but only because Wanda gave them bad visions. It's hard to take him seriously as a threat. I don't like the device of having a villain beat up your strongest hero to show how tough he is, but it was probably necessary to do that, the way they had Thanos beat up the Hulk to establish him as a badass.

The "Ultron Unlimited" storyline that re-established him as a major comics threat after years of villain decay (though I loved seeing Daredevil beat him with a stick) did a good job of making it seem like it was really hard and exhausting for most of the Avengers to fight him, and the movie had trouble doing that.
    Last edited by gurkle; 08-27-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Ultron's problem in the movie is that he's kind of a comedy character. Joss Whedon's way of writing is to alternate funny and scary moments very quickly, so you never know which you'll get at any time. I think with Ultron the moments that were supposed to make him scary were cut out or didn't play, so it made him seem weak.

The trailer, with Ultron reciting the lyrics of "I've Got No Strings" in a creepy way, sounded like more the scary/funny character we thought Ultron would turn out to be.

Plus there's the plot problem: he never wins a fight against the Avengers. The Avengers get demoralized but only because Wanda gave them bad visions. It's hard to take him seriously as a threat. I don't like the device of having a villain beat up your strongest hero to show how tough he is, but it was probably necessary to do that, the way they had Thanos beat up the Hulk to establish him as a badass.

The "Ultron Unlimited" storyline that re-established him as a major comics threat after years of villain decay (though I loved seeing Daredevil beat him with a stick) did a good job of making it seem like it was really hard and exhausting for most of the Avengers to fight him, and the movie had trouble doing that.
    I loved the drunk Ultron from Vision's miniseries.

iMan 42s

He can't be as badass because the comics work on a significantly longer timeline. The MCU had to introduce him and get rid of him the same film.

The thing is though, he's scarier. And that's because finding him funny is why he's so scary. He's a genocidal maniac who can convince you he's the good guy and this is good for you. And if not he can convince you it's no big deal he's about to NUKE THE PLANET. This is why Ultron of the film is infinitely scarier than the one of the comics because he is Ultron's natural end-game or what he strives to be. We first meet him in a church and what is his modus operandi? Religion. Ultron is a cult leader of single minded individual much like himself (and himself) whom want to speed along the ascension of humanity by killing them. He is about to Darwin the planet and convince you he did the right thing. But you wanna know the best part? Ultron and Thanos did the same thing. Just that Thanos did on a far grander scale.

Both are great but never forget that Ultron of the comics has a far worse track record because Ultron at least succeeded in one goal, he destroyed the Avengers. Zemo may have turned Tony on Steve, but Ultron was what tore the team apart. If not for Sokovia, Tony wouldn't be as guilt-ridden to join the accords let alone there likely being an accords. An exploding building is a lot less than an entire city let that pissed off Zemo.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Both are great but never forget that Ultron of the comics has a far worse track record because Ultron at least succeeded in one goal, he destroyed the Avengers. Zemo may have turned Tony on Steve, but Ultron was what tore the team apart. If not for Sokovia, Tony wouldn't be as guilt-ridden to join the accords let alone there likely being an accords. An exploding building is a lot less than an entire city let that pissed off Zemo.
    It's a bit of a cheat between films though (but an acceptable cheat), because Whedon made all this to-do about the Avengers making sure no civilians would be killed in the Battle of Sokovia. And then the Civil War team simply ignored that and acted as if it was just a conventional superhero battle, where a lot of innocent bystanders got killed and the Avengers didn't notice.

This is not really a criticism, just noting that like 616 comic book writers, MCU filmmakers share the same continuity but in very broad strokes. You could place Civil War after the Battle of New York and the scene with Tony and the bereaved mother would be exactly the same.

Ultron’s problem in the movie is that he’s an AI, conceived out of a global defence system, that gains sentience and decides to destroy humans to save the earth.

“AI trying to destroy humanity when it realises its destructive nature” is an idea that wasn’t new in 1984. It’s extremely stale now.

That’s not to say he didn’t have some good moments - at least, in his creation scene, and in his final scene with Vision. But I honestly can’t find him that compelling, and I know I wasn’t the only viewer thhat was underwhelmed.

So far as comics Ultron is concerned, he had a nicely designed appearance and a reasonably good introduction back in the late 60s. He’s been around for a long time, and he hasn’t always had exceptional stories. He’s had fun and fairly strange appearances - I remember his weird and memorable appearance in Ann Nocenti’s Daredevil. But it’s difficult to compare an antagonist with sometimes inconsistent appearances over a long period of time with a more distilled version created for one movie.

Which of them is the more scary?

Neither
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 08-27-2018 at 03:13 PM.

Mighty Member

It's a bit of a cheat between films though (but an acceptable cheat), because Whedon made all this to-do about the Avengers making sure no civilians would be killed in the Battle of Sokovia. And then the Civil War team simply ignored that and acted as if it was just a conventional superhero battle, where a lot of innocent bystanders got killed and the Avengers didn't notice.

This is not really a criticism, just noting that like 616 comic book writers, MCU filmmakers share the same continuity but in very broad strokes. You could place Civil War after the Battle of New York and the scene with Tony and the bereaved mother would be exactly the same.
    The whole scene in Civil War where Ross shows Avengers public battles where there are presumed civilian casualties, I'm thinking to myself, if not the Avengers in those fights, you wouldn't be alive there to complain, and oh by the way, how many people got hurt in Harlem because you f-ed around making Abomination and sent him after Banner?

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    The whole scene in Civil War where Ross shows Avengers public battles where there are presumed civilian casualties, I'm thinking to myself, if not the Avengers in those fights, you wouldn't be alive there to complain, and oh by the way, how many people got hurt in Harlem because you f-ed around making Abomination and sent him after Banner?
    Ross didn't make the Abomination.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

Not as such, but he unknowingly set Blonsky on that path. After he gave Blonsky that SSS derivative, he was clearly deranged.

I hated MCU Ultron, he almost quipped me death
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Not as such, but he unknowingly set Blonsky on that path. After he gave Blonsky that SSS derivative, he was clearly deranged.
    And then he tried to have as much of the destruction caused by Blonsky as the Abomination blamed on Banner/Hulk as he could, which was probably the only reason he could've ended up as Secretary of State spearheading the Accords in Civil War. Yeah, he didn't directly create the Abomination, but he had no problem exploiting the Abomination's wanton destruction for his own political, if not personal, gain.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

what would make Ultron scarier is thanos whispering in Tony's ear after iw that Ultron was right making Tony alcoholic and unable to ever wear a iron man armour again.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes' Ultron was way more intimidating and scary to me then MCU Ultron was.

I think James Spader did a terrific job with what he had to work with but I personally prefer Tom Kane's cold and emotionless killing machine.

And the relationship/dynamic with Hank Pym was handled much better then the connection between Tony and Ultron in my opinion.
    Seriously, most of his fights against the other Avengers in the movie were either evenly-matched or Ultron was defeated without much noticeable effort.

Compare that to the interpretations of Ultron that can single-handedly take on an entire Avengers team.

generic evil artificial intelligence with generic motivations.

The interesting part about Ultron is how he was Frankenstein'd
    The J-man