Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    For the life of me I don't understand how this fairly obvious truth can upset people. He actually payed the film a great compliment, and I don't get the refusal to take it as such.
    Ever been to the X-Men board? Or tried to diss Storm?

There are always going to be be vocal fans, "DON'T DISS MY LUVOR!!!!11ONE!!"
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

His overall point about superhero movies having a huge market influence and being formulaic is true, but Logan is an odd choice. It is inspired by Westerns, and I’d happily contend it is at least comparable to a very good Western. Not an all time classic, no. But at the least a very good film - regardless of genre IMO, with interesting themes of aging, loss, and regret.

I’m not impressed by the argument which has been raised by some (not Hawke I think) that superhero movies are inevitably constrained by genre. There are many horror films that are routine films, which follow a formulaic path. There are also some from practically every decade of film, from the 20s on, which are all time classics. This is a point incidentally that Hawke recognises in his interview.

Therefore, superhero movies can be more interesting than they typically are. There’s no inevitable constraint in the fact that a protagonist extrudes metal claws from his hands, any more than an antagonist that feeds upon the blood of the living. To that degree, Logan offers a degree of hope that other more interesting movies may emerge from the formulaic fare. Not, I imagine, that the Disney acquisition of Fox will necessarily facilitate this.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 08-28-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Being a snob, doesn't mean you're wrong.

My main point is what Ethan said is snobbish. But not wrong. He could have stated it better without talking down to people. But I suspect he didn't care.

I know lots of hyper-intelligent people that don't talk down to people. It's not that hard to be nice.

Case in point: what you said was well thought out and didn't talk down to me.
    That's cause you know who Bresson and Bergmen are.

BTW I don't think Logan was a great movie. Not in terms of all time classic great. Doesn't diminsh how good it was.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

Eh I don't think Hawke is known for making high art. Many of his films are genre and formulaic but I see his point.

Retired

He was at the Locarno Film Festival talking to Rory O'Connor, a film critic. I expect that O'Connor knows who Robert Bresson and Ingmar Bergman are--so Hawke was talking up not down. He probably chose those directors exactly because O'Connor would get the point.

If you don't know who Bresson and Bergman are, here's your chance to look them up on IMDb and see what movies they made. Why are people so afraid to use the internet to find stuff out?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Hmm. Call me jaded, but this doesn't seem like a controversial statement to me. People are trying to make it be controversial.

Attachment 69921

How much money did Transformers make? No thought those were great but they made money because it shut some kid up who wanted to see it or someone who wanted to watch a film.

Films are made to try to make MONEY. Some do it better than others.

No one cares how great (or not) Black Panther is. Box Office is all that matters. It did its job. Sorry Justice League could not.

I don't have anything against Ethan Hawke and I don't take issues with what he thinks of superhero movies, from the sounds of things. I watched a video on Screen Junkies Universe talking about the comments and it sounded like Ethan Hawke made up his mind about Logan before he even watched it, because Logan did not wear tights. I honestly don't think of Logan as that great of a movie. I think it gets too much hype. Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are really good in the movies and it could be argued that one of them may have deserved an acting nomination, but the movie as a whole wasn't all that great.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

So I commented on this elsewhere...a Facebook group maybe. But...this comes off as someone being a stuffy a-hole, to me. I like Hawke. And I love movies (all kinds of movies).

Now...to say something about Logan like he did "Oh I heard it's this great film", etc etc, and "then I saw it and it's not a great movie it's FINE for a superhero movie"

I'm paraphrasing. But what a dick. I mean as an artist...why should he crap all over something other creative people/artists have put together and are proud of?? I mean...I saw Boyhood, and I thought it was "fine" for a really long dramatic film.

it just comes off as sour grapes to me...like "everyone wants to see Iron Man instead of my arty farty film". Sorry dude...

I mean it would be like Hugh Jackman coming out and saying yeah I saw movie X with Ethan Hawke and I was bored out of my mind and fell asleep in it...I guess it was "fine."

Leave the crapping all over someone's work to the critics, dude. When a blockbuster makes a crap-ton of money...it is good for studios who then don't mind putting up some money on smaller films...because they know they will recoup a loss on something when the blockbuster makes a billion dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh I don't think Hawke is known for making high art. Many of his films are genre and formulaic but I see his point.
    I think he's made some interesting artistic choices..but sure he has churned out some stuff that was intended to make bank, too...The Purge. Magnificent Seven. Training Day. there are others in his filmography. Magnificent Seven = Avengers in Cowboy attire.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I love Ethan Hawke. He's always interesting to watch in any role.

Gotta say I agree with him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bobellis75 View Post
    Now...to say something about Logan like he did "Oh I heard it's this great film", etc etc, and "then I saw it and it's not a great movie it's FINE for a superhero movie"

I'm paraphrasing. But what a dick.
    Worth remembering that Hawke was more complimentary of superhero films than many superhero fans (myself included on many occasions). Look at what's been said about Man of Steel, Justice League, any iteration of Spider-man, Iron Man 3, etc etc by people who you would expect to be the strongest defenders of the genre.

Extraordinary Member

I think he's made some interesting artistic choices..but sure he has churned out some stuff that was intended to make bank, too...The Purge. Magnificent Seven. Training Day. there are others in his filmography. Magnificent Seven = Avengers in Cowboy attire.
    Yeah Mag 7 is my **** lol. He's definitely done a lot of experimental stuff, he's a good actor. Maybe he should just do his own superhero movie Hawke Man **** would be cray haha.

BANNED

A cinephile who has probably seen thousands of films doesn’t think a blockbuster genre film is that great.

Oh me, oh my, what a scandal.

———————————————-

Superheroes are lowbrow pulpy American trash. That’s why I love them. I wish people would stop this crusade to make cape stuff respectable.

Never mind that it wasn't exactly The Thing in terms of "Remake's Artistic Value". It was largely the sort of "Big Business" film the guy is giving other films grief for being.

Astonishing Member

I get what he is saying. But honestly there are so many outlets for actors now. Netflix, Amazon, Hbo etc ect. Its a golden age for tv. Maybe not movies, but man these guys who want to do serious stuff how so many more ways to do it. Maybe the paychecks are not as big but I am sure they aint hurting. I think the superhero stuff can get a little overwhelming and sometimes overrated at times. I though Black Panther was overrated but really liked the latest avengers. I mean its not just superhero movies plowing over box office its big action movies in general. Jurassic movies, Transformers, or cartoons. There is other good stuff out there if people look. I think most people like to watch the big popcorn stuff in movie theaters, and reserve the other movies for the home.