Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I've only read the first two TPBs, but so far, the dialogue is good, and the ideas don't fall apart any more they do in every other superhero comic ever.
    The double standards are hilarious. For some reason everything from King has to make real-world sense. This in a series that has time travel and alternate dimensions as part of its history. His stuff holds up to scrutiny as well as any other superhero comic that also includes magic and sci-fi. Why I would apply that scrutiny in the first place is a question I can't answer.

King is interesting in that his dialogue is so divisive. It is a lot of people's favorite thing about his work while others hate it with a passion. I can't think of many other traits of creators that causes such drastically different reactions.

I briefly stopped reading Spider-Man when they made it seem like the "real" Spidey was the clone. But I was a kid. Now in retrospect I'm embarrassed at my reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That really depends on who you ask. Plenty of others think that's when it started to come together.

I don't think it's crap at all. Batman tends to have the highest selling comic along with the highest number of detractors. It was the same for Morrison and Snyder.
    Then I don't know what book they were reading.

Sales are not an indicator of quality.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    The double standards are hilarious. For some reason everything from King has to make real-world sense. This in a series that has time travel and alternate dimensions as part of its history. His stuff holds up to scrutiny as well as any other superhero comic that also includes magic and sci-fi. Why I would apply that scrutiny in the first place is a question I can't answer.
    I never said I expected it to make real-world sense. But there still needs to be an internal logic to the universe. Bat-Burger is the perfect example of this. A fast food restaurant that serves food based off of serial killers would not make sense in or out of the DC Universe. If villains like Zsasz and the Riddler are supposed to be a credible threat in-universe, making a fast food restaurant based off the villain does a terrible job at conveying that and makes the credible threats look like a joke.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I never said I expected it to make real-world sense. But there still needs to be an internal logic to the universe. Bat-Burger is the perfect example of this. A fast food restaurant that serves food based off of serial killers would not make sense in or out of the DC Universe. If villains like Zsasz and the Riddler are supposed to be a credible threat in-universe, making a fast food restaurant based off the villain does a terrible job at conveying that and makes the credible threats look like a joke.
    It makes perfect sense, these heroes and villains are more ingrained in their pop culture than ours. Making things from businesses to clothing to music, etc. People would try to capitalize and make money using their likenesses. Stuff like that makes for more realism in comics than some shock death to prove a story is "serious".
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Emerald Twilight: Peeved was putting it lightly when I read Hal's Departure. Geoff Johns was the best thing to happen to Green Lantern since...ever

Robin #50: Another character assassination that didn't make jack crap sense. Unfortunately, Cassandra never dug herself out of that hole completely.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    It makes perfect sense, these heroes and villains are more ingrained in their pop culture than ours. Making things from businesses to clothing to music, etc. People would try to capitalize and make money using their likenesses. Stuff like that makes for more realism in comics than some shock death to prove a story is "serious".
    It would make sense if the products that are capitalizing on the psychopathic killers were actually appropriate to what they are. If it was an indie band singing about the villains of Gotham sticking it to the GCPD or T-Shirts designed to shock by including images of Zsasz, that would make sense and would not undercut the supposed seriousness of Gotham's villains. A family friendly Fast-Food restaurant does the opposite, it makes Gotham's villains look like a joke.

Mighty Member

It would make sense if the products that are capitalizing on the psychopathic killers were actually appropriate to what they are. If it was an indie band singing about the villains of Gotham sticking it to the GCPD or T-Shirts designed to shock by including images of Zsasz, that would make sense and would not undercut the supposed seriousness of Gotham's villains. A family friendly Fast-Food restaurant does the opposite, it makes Gotham's villains look like a joke.
    Mm I don't know, it makes sense to me... We (and especially Americans, it seems) have a fascination with the grisly and macabre. There's limitless examples. I think there would be entire cottage industries popping up around villains and their acts. Although I can sort of see where you're coming from with the fact that it's a family restaurant, I'd point out that families go to haunted houses with serial killers, things like that. I do see what you mean in that family restaurants aren't the same thing.

Did King start Bat Burger? I feel like that's been around for decades. I might be wrong.

Either way, I don't think including it undercuts the story. To me it felt more like a sight gag or inside joke. I didn't feel any connection between that particular setting and the larger story. I can see why you felt differently. Humor isn't one of King's strong suits imo.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Then I don't know what book they were reading.
    Same one you did, they just came away with different opinions.

Sales are not an indicator of quality.
    No, but its the closest way to measure objectively that a book is doing well. Comments on the internet don't mean anything to DC as a business.

I have zero problems buying that a city as bizarre as Gotham with its equally strange citizens has a restaurant like that.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 09-10-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Same one you did, they just came away with different opinions.

No, but its the closest way to measure objectively that a book is doing well. Comments on the internet don't mean anything to DC as a business.

I have zero problems buying that a city as bizarre as Gotham with its equally strange citizens has a restaurant like that.
    Since how well the book is doing is not an indicator of the quality of the book, how well the book is doing is not a factor in this.

These villains regularly kill people in Gotham. I don't see any way that a family-friendly fast food restaurant would include references to the villains of the city. It undercuts some of the seriousness that the villains of Gotham need.

Astonishing Member

Since how well the book is doing is not an indicator of the quality of the book, how well the book is doing is not a factor in this.

These villains regularly kill people in Gotham. I don't see any way that a family-friendly fast food restaurant would include references to the villains of the city. It undercuts some of the seriousness that the villains of Gotham need.
    If how well a book is doing is not an indicator of quality, I wonder what you would say is an indicator of quality then

I am genuinely curious

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    If how well a book is doing is not an indicator of quality, I wonder what you would say is an indicator of quality then

I am genuinely curious
    There isn't a hard and fast rule but I know for sure that Sales have nothing to do with it.

Mm I don't know, it makes sense to me... We (and especially Americans, it seems) have a fascination with the grisly and macabre. There's limitless examples. I think there would be entire cottage industries popping up around villains and their acts. Although I can sort of see where you're coming from with the fact that it's a family restaurant, I'd point out that families go to haunted houses with serial killers, things like that. I do see what you mean in that family restaurants aren't the same thing.

Did King start Bat Burger? I feel like that's been around for decades. I might be wrong.

Either way, I don't think including it undercuts the story. To me it felt more like a sight gag or inside joke. I didn't feel any connection between that particular setting and the larger story. I can see why you felt differently. Humor isn't one of King's strong suits imo.
    Yeah we have tours/recreations of horrible murders and events. (Manson killings, JFK Assassination, etc)

A world with villains would get the same treatment. Hell one of Joker's famous stories is trying to trademark fish. Shows that even they want to get in on it.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Mighty Member

Yeah we have tours/recreations of horrible murders and events. (Manson killings, JFK Assassination, etc)

A world with villains would get the same treatment. Hell one of Joker's famous stories is trying to trademark fish. Shows that even they want to get in on it.
    There's a newish Netflix show centered around going to places like that, ground zero in Japan, etc. There are plenty of people monetizing horrible events, people and places. I agree with you, villains would get all that plus plenty. Groupies, cults, movements dedicated to them... And whenever things like that happen there is often an instinct to counteract the horror, to bring it down in scope and de-fang it. I mean there is a Count Dracula on Sesame Street. I could see Bat Burger fitting nicely in that niche.

There's a newish Netflix show centered around going to places like that, ground zero in Japan, etc. There are plenty of people monetizing horrible events, people and places. I agree with you, villains would get all that plus plenty. Groupies, cults, movements dedicated to them... And whenever things like that happen there is often an instinct to counteract the horror, to bring it down in scope and de-fang it. I mean there is a Count Dracula on Sesame Street. I could see Bat Burger fitting nicely in that niche.
    Yeah I watched Dark Tourist when it first dropped.

Mighty Member

Yeah I watched Dark Tourist when it first dropped.
    How was it? Would you recommend it?