Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Default Opinions about Billy’s powers (that apparently only real fans know about)

Alright, so I saw this article on Shazam, the 20 powers Captain Marvel has that only a real fan knows about, and as soon as I started reading it, I knew I was going to comment on it, as some of these entries are complete garbage, while others are very interesting and underutilized.

For reference, I will be using all versions of Billy, as this article appears to be doing so.

20. Immortality

spoilers:
    This one’s just a load right off, as he is nowhere near immortal. I can accept that the lightning strikes heal him, but Kingdom Come killed him with a nuke, Injustice killed him with heat vision, and Flashpoint killed him with stabbing. He’s NOT immortal.
    end of spoilers

19. Atomic Punch

Meh. Seems a bit OP, but alright.

18. Omnilingual

That one’s actually cool. I kind of wish he was used as a translator for others more often.

17. Cannot Age

This is true for almost every version, except in the Dark Knight Returns universe, where the Captain has clearly aged, with wrinkles and white hair.

47D935A7-9A3C-4C5B-A53A-B8D4B92C4514.jpg

And no, it’s not Billy who aged as spoilers:
    Billy’s dead. As soon as the Captain transforms, he’s gone because Billy’s gone.
    end of spoilers

16. Star Juggling

What can I say? Comic books.

15. Lightning Bolt can be used offensively

One of the Captain’s classic attacks. No argument here.

14. Can Fly faster than the speed of light

I direct you back to item 16.

13. Doesn’t need to eat, drink, or sleep

A side effect of the Stamina of Atlas, and I would argue he’s dependent on the sleep and nourishment he gets in his Billy form, but that’s an argument for another post.

12. Clairvoyance

I’d argue that what they’re describing is actually hyper-fast analytical abilities, but otherwise, no argument.

11. Charisma

I’d argue that’s just Pre-New 52’s Billy’s sweet, outgoing personality. New 52 Billy lacks this entirely. Sorry, he just does. He does not leave good impressions from what I’ve seen.

10. Hypnosis

I’m…honestly not sure what to say about this one. Maybe it’s better left forgotten.

9. Mental Resistance

This is one of my favorite powers of his. It gives him an advantage when it comes to psychic villains. It helps when Mr. Mind is one of his reoccurring baddies.

8. Illusion Immunity

Exactly what I said above.

7. Teleportation

That one’s cool, and I’m glad New 52 enhanced it.

6. Marvel Breath

Same as items 14 and 16.

5. Fighting Prowess

That would be a power that it would stink not to have.

4. Lightning Powers

Another New 52 expansion I enjoy.

3. Spellcasting

I’m not really sure that one’s been used much, aside from a one-off joke involving a ping-pong table and apparently enchanting Tawny.

2. Source Manipulation

I’m just going to admit I have no idea what this entails and take a pass.

1. Fire Powers

I’m not sure he still has those.

So, what do you guys think? Was I completely off in some areas? Are there examples I missed? I’m interested in what anything you guys think.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-28-2018 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post

20. Immortality

spoilers:
    This one’s just a load right off, as he is nowhere near immortal. I can accept that the lightning strikes heal him, but Kingdom Come killed him with a nuke, Injustice killed him with heat vision, and Flashpoint killed him with stabbing. He’s NOT immortal.
    end of spoilers
    Yeah even his epithet was "The World's Mightiest Mortal"

17. Cannot Age

This is true for almost every version, except in the Dark Knight Returns universe, where the Captain has clearly aged, with wrinkles and white hair.
    Is it that he "can not" age, or that he just doesn't envision himself aging.
    My understanding is Captain Marvel/Shazam is somewhat a projection of Billy's idealized self, which he manifests at an ideal adult age.
    For Mary and Freddy it's a bit younger.
    How we've seen him is as - the adult Captain Marvel/Shazam, but does that actually mean he can not appear older, if he wants? Or younger for that mater? If Billy for an episode requires it, imagines himself older, or younger as the ideal, couldn't Captain Marvel/Shazam appear that way?
    I'm not writing this one off as "can not", but just hasn't been fully explored yet.

2. Source Manipulation

I’m just going to admit I have no idea what this entails and take a pass.

1. Fire Powers

I’m not sure he still has those.
    These two I wouldn't even list, as they were part of the “The Darkseid War" event, and was Billy instead channeling the powers of the New Gods. Which was fun for an event, but I wouldn't make it part of his regular power set.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-28-2018 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Is it that he "can not" age, or that he just doesn't envision himself aging.
    My understanding is Captain Marvel/Shazam is somewhat a projection of Billy's idealized self, which he manifests at an ideal adult age.
    For Mary and Freddy it's a bit younger.
    How we've seen him is as - the adult Captain Marvel/Shazam, but does that actually mean he can not appear older, if he wants? Or younger for that mater? If Billy for an episode requires it, imagines himself older, or younger as the ideal, couldn't Captain Marvel/Shazam appear that way?
    I'm not writing this one off as "can not", but just hasn't been explored fully yet.
    The article phrased it as cannot, and that’s what I’m addressing.

These two I wouldn't even list, as they were part of the “The Darkseid War" event, and was Billy instead channeling the powers of the New Gods. Which was fun for an event, but I wouldn't make it part of his regular power set.
    Ah, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    The article phrased it as cannot, and that’s what I’m addressing.
    Yeah no kidding, that's why I put it in quotes. And that's what I'm doing too, addressing it too, isn't that what you invited us to do? LOL.
    Whatever.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-28-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yeah no kidding, that's why I put it in quotes. And that's what I'm doing too, addressing it too, isn't that what you invited us to do? LOL.
    Whatever.
    I apologize. I thought you were directing the comment at me. That was my mistake.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 08-28-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'm curious about the enchantment power too. I only know the 2 instances you mentioned.