Astonishing Member

Default Alec Baldwin cast as SPOILER in Joker movie - Thoughts?

Here's the link:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...father-1137843

So basically Baldwin has been cast as Thomas Wayne, who will apparently be portrayed as "a cheesy and tanned businessman who is more in the mold of a 1980s Donald Trump."

Now there have been rumors about Thomas Wayne being in this movie before, but this announcement is surprising to me for a couple of reasons:

1. Alec Baldwin's age. He seems a lot more suited to playing an much older Thomas Wayne...older at least than the man who was gunned down in Crime Alley when Bruce was a child.

2. The characterisation, while unconfirmed, doesn't at all seem like any 'mainstream' interpretation of Thomas Wayne.

Which really makes me wonder if this 'Joker' film is an Elseworlds tale...not just in terms of not fitting into DCEU continuity, but in terms of being a reality very different from the conventional Batman mythos.

Also, could Baldwin possibly be playing some version of Batman ala Flashpoint or Earth 2?

Bold casting choice for Steph. Not who I would have gone with, for sure.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I don't think there is anything mainstream about this movie besides being associated with the bat brand. This movie feels like a fever dream and I am very interested in how this thing turns out.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

On the other hand, Casting the Actor who played "the Shadow" to play Batmans father seems kind of fitting.

I saw this in newsarama..

That man is old for Thomas Wayne.. He died young... Except if he is Flashpoint Batman for example..

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Maybe Joaquin Phoenix will play as Joker Martha after she turned.

Allegedly Viggo Mortensen was the first choice to play Thomas Wayne but turned it down.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Bold casting choice for Steph. Not who I would have gone with, for sure.
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read the thread title.
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Allegedly Viggo Mortensen was the first choice to play Thomas Wayne but turned it down.
    Hmm...so it seems like they're actively aiming for an older Thomas Wayne.

I'm curious to see where this is going.

Is it an alternate reality where Thomas and Martha weren't killed and his life took a very different path?

OR...could it possibly not be THE Thomas Wayne, but the father or elder brother of the Thomas Wayne we know. Or some other close relative. Though that seems unlikely given how they're making this a high-profile casting and indicating that this is supposed to be THE Thomas Wayne.

We could be looking at a reality where Bruce Wayne doesn't become Batman, or possibly doesn't exist at all.

A Gotham (assuming its actually set in some version of Gotham) without Batman but with a Joker. Hmm...that actually sounds like an interesting proposition!

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Hmm...so it seems like they're actively aiming for an older Thomas Wayne.

I'm curious to see where this is going.

Is it an alternate reality where Thomas and Martha weren't killed and his life took a very different path?

OR...could it possibly not be THE Thomas Wayne, but the father or elder brother of the Thomas Wayne we know. Or some other close relative. Though that seems unlikely given how they're making this a high-profile casting and indicating that this is supposed to be THE Thomas Wayne.

We could be looking at a reality where Bruce Wayne doesn't become Batman, or possibly doesn't exist at all.

A Gotham (assuming its actually set in some version of Gotham) without Batman but with a Joker. Hmm...that actually sounds like an interesting proposition!
    I was thinking perhaps this takes place before Bruce Wayne was even born. It would deviate from the usual comic book canon of Bruce and the guy who becomes Joker being contemporaries , but it would solve the Batman problem.

Not the first Baldwin to be involved with the Batman franchise. His younger brother William voiced Batman in Crisis on Two Earths .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Viggo is SMART.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Let me state, for the record, that I have NOT been hired to play a role in Todd Phillips’ JOKER as some Donald Trump manque. That is not happening. Not. Happening.
    https://twitter.com/ABFalecbaldwin/s...97764868284416

Baldwin's official twitter has put out a statement denying that he has been cast.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I don't think there is anything mainstream about this movie besides being associated with the bat brand. This movie feels like a fever dream and I am very interested in how this thing turns out.
    Just think of it as an elseworlds story. Then they can throw out continuity and everything you know about Batman, Joker, and Thomas Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://twitter.com/ABFalecbaldwin/s...97764868284416

Baldwin's official twitter has put out a statement denying that he has been cast.
    Do you have a link to that Twitter? Because the link you posted is somewhat ambiguous. Is Baldwin not going to be in the move at all? Or is Baldwin in the movie, but not playing an ersatz Trump?

Edit: Never mind. Question answered.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 08-30-2018 at 02:53 PM.

Baldwin is out due to scheduling issues:

https://talkiesnetwork.com/2018/08/2...s-joker-movie/
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)