Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Let Aaron do all of them. Hopefully the workload will get him to drop his Hercules title.
    lol - so Thor is like Herc, and the real Herc is in limbo?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The guy's in his late 70's by now, I believe. Understandable that his work load isn't what it once was!
    He's been more occupied with his magazine over at TwoMorrows "Alter Ego". I think he used to work on Back Issue too. He was always more of a comic book historian in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    lol - so Thor is like Herc, and the real Herc is in limbo?
    Lol yeah. I would really like to see Aaron write a story focusing on Thor and Hercules. I'm curious as to how Aaron would make their voices sound. Has he already done that story? As for movie limbo maybe Marvel is just going to use the MCU to fold the Olympians into the Eternals? I mean..it would make sense. They already have a Sersi. So we could end up with a Hercules in the MCU.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Sorry posted twice. Didn't think it worked.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-30-2018 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Double post, sorry
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

If anything is in Jason Aaron's wheelhouse Conan is.

He was Vertigo/DC's go to "Hard Boiled" guy for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Probert View Post
    By CROM Marvel has Jason Aaron writing the new Conan series?

Are you kidding me?

Marvel better get their act together and bring the REAL writer of Conan back, comics' legend Roy Thomas!

I heard there will be three Conan titles, hopefully they smarten up and get him to write one of them.

Who's with me??
    I'm guessing no Barry Windsor-Smith either.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Roy Thomas actually wrote a 12 issue run over at Dark Horse called "Conan: Road of Kings" as recently as 2010-2011.

It wasn't all that great to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Roy Thomas actually wrote a 12 issue run over at Dark Horse called "Conan: Road of Kings" as recently as 2010-2011.

We can never go back!

Seriously the earlier classics were heavily based on the original short stories anyway. From the flowery (highly dated) language to the overall plot structure and core incident. Much of this work was adaptation at best. These days when a work is adapted to that degree the headline writer on the front of the book is usually the original author.

It might be interesting to do a direct textual comparison of a couple of the scripts and see where the comics craft comes in. My hunch is that the artists carried the lions share of the adaptation. Certainly when I think of Conan comics I tend to remember the art. To be honest, the last time I revisited these books I found the language cringeworthy. It was another era based on an even earlier one.

I don’t mean to denigrate adaptation, but there is a reason the Oscars have a separate category for Original Screenplay.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-30-2018 at 11:55 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post

But if Marvel is going back to basics then Roy needs another shot at Conan under the Marvel banner. It looks like it's in the cards too. Good for you CB Cebulski!!

Three titles?! Like, three per month? That seems overkill to me. I actually kind of feel like they should abandon the idea of an ongoing monthly altogether, and instead do one-shots, minis and Graphic Novels, jumping all over the chronology, as REH used to do.

That said, if they actually do three per month, one should be a resurrection of the Savage Sword b&w magazine.

On the matter of Thomas, I'd say leave it up to him whether he wants to something. Don't demand anything of him, either, he's an old man and written hundreds of Conan stories, while also working on one movie, and two TV shows. He should only do it if he thinks he has something to say. Don't drag him out to write somthing just for the sake of selling the name recognition.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Three titles?! Like, three per month? That seems overkill to me. I actually kind of feel like they should abandon the idea of an ongoing monthly altogether, and instead do one-shots, minis and Graphic Novels, jumping all over the chronology, as REH used to do.

That said, if they actually do three per month, one should be a resurrection of the Savage Sword b&w magazine.

On the matter of Thomas, I'd say leave it up to him whether he wants to something. Don't demand anything of him, either, he's an old man and written hundreds of Conan stories, while also working on one movie, and two TV shows. He should only do it if he thinks he has something to say. Don't drag him out to write somthing just for the sake of selling the name recognition.
    I wonder how much name recognition he carries today. Obviously he is a hall of fame level legend, but the work that established him was decades ago. The long time fans know him, of course, but if you are under the age of thirty you likely haven't read anything from him besides his past works. I'm not sure how much his career accomplishments will contribute towards sales today. DC has tried to give creators like him work recently, and the results have been poor to middling. Chuck Dixon (who is even more contemporary than Thomas), Tony Isabella, Marv Wolfman and Neal Adams have all had titles with mediocre at best sales. Gerry Conway is probably the best recent example of older creators coming back into the spotlight, and he had moderate success with Carnage and a brief run on Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows that did ok. It is difficult to say how much of that success is due to the nature of Renew Your Vows and having an A list character and how much of the success is due to Conway.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Lol yeah. I would really like to see Aaron write a story focusing on Thor and Hercules. I'm curious as to how Aaron would make their voices sound. Has he already done that story? As for movie limbo maybe Marvel is just going to use the MCU to fold the Olympians into the Eternals? I mean..it would make sense. They already have a Sersi. So we could end up with a Hercules in the MCU.
    I kind of wish they’d do that in the comics.

To be honest I’d much rather see Coates get a crack at Conan.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I wonder how much name recognition he carries today. Obviously he is a hall of fame level legend, but the work that established him was decades ago. The long time fans know him, of course, but if you are under the age of thirty you likely haven't read anything from him besides his past works.
    As opposed to...

I'm not sure how much his career accomplishments will contribute towards sales today. DC has tried to give creators like him work recently, and the results have been poor to middling. Chuck Dixon (who is even more contemporary than Thomas), Tony Isabella, Marv Wolfman and Neal Adams have all had titles with mediocre at best sales. Gerry Conway is probably the best recent example of older creators coming back into the spotlight, and he had moderate success with Carnage and a brief run on Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows that did ok. It is difficult to say how much of that success is due to the nature of Renew Your Vows and having an A list character and how much of the success is due to Conway.
    I get what your saying. Yeah, saleswise it would be niche, but there is a niche (as evidenced by this very thread).

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Cape View Post
    To be honest I’d much rather see Coates get a crack at Conan.
    I suspect he'd get a crack if he wanted to.

Let's hold our horses, anyway. They just announced the first title, I'm sure they'll get more stuff, including other writers, given time.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    As opposed to...

I get what your saying. Yeah, saleswise it would be niche, but there is a niche (as evidenced by this very thread).

I suspect he'd get a crack if he wanted to.

Let's hold our horses, anyway. They just announced the first title, I'm sure they'll get more stuff, including other writers, given time.
    It wouldn't be fair for me to say Thomas couldn't do better than those authors I named. I will say I am pretty skeptical, though. I think DC has an older fan base that is more into older creators getting work today, and even with that, results were not good. Although Conway being the biggest success, while being at Marvel, kind of undermines that point, I guess.

Since there's multiple books, sure, I'm cool with Thomas getting a book. I would feel very differently if there was only one book, but there's going to be multiple... I hope it does well, if it happens.