Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    I've always seen a guilty pleasure as something you honestly like (and not ironically) even though it's objectively dumb, cheesy, or straight up bad. It's sort of like your favorite fast food: you know it's not at all good for you and if you consumed it in large quantities you'd have serious health issues, but it pushes your bliss button so hard that you just have to have a little here and there as a treat.
    Yeah, that's how I feel about my guilty pleasures. As in, they are definitely not good movies, but I honestly don't like them. For instance, I watched "The Disaster Artist" and I have absolutely no desire to watch The Room. I get it...that it's a bad movie that is enjoyable to people (maybe honestly or ironically), but I have no interest in watching it. The subject matter does not interest me.

I actually am interested in a lot of the properties and/or subject matters of the guilty pleasure movies I've picked. For example:

Fantastic Four - I like the subject matter (people with super powers), but did not like the movie.
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - I like the subject matter and I'm a big Silver Surfer fan. I don't think it's a well done movie, but I enjoy it.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    If I think a woman in a movie is hot, I'll watch it regardless of the quality. If there's a scene in a movie that turns me on, I'll watch it regardless of the quality.

If there is an actor I have a big crush on, I'll watch the movie or show regardless of quality, and probably buy it too.

As popular as Star Wars is, I see them as heavily flawed films, so I somewhat view them as a guilty pleasure.

I love Glee, but that's not a guilty pleasure as I'll openly proclaim my love for Glee to anyone, even when they laugh or give me an odd look.

One movie which definitely counts as a guilty pleasure, though, is Double Team.....A laughably bad film with Jean-Claude Van Damme & Dennis Rodman. There are some hilariously creative aspects to the storyline which makes me like the film, despite knowing it's a horrible, horrible movie. Plus, Mickey Rourke was pretty fun in this one (It was before his big comeback).

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The Batman & Robin movie. It is just so terribly bad and campy and such a wrong headed approach to Batman that I revel in how awful it is. And George Clooney is sooooo handsome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Same. I always loved it for its cheesiness.

I'll third that motion! I honestly can't watch that movie now, but I used to love it, despite the hate everyone else (rightfully) gave it. What I particularly liked was Arnold's portrayal of Mr. Freeze ......A slight bit off the mark from how the character actually is supposed to be, but I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    If I think a woman in a movie is hot, I'll watch it regardless of the quality. If there's a scene in a movie that turns me on, I'll watch it regardless of the quality.

I knew a guy who bought the Entrapment DVD and would watch it on a regular basis. He told me he actually doesn't care for the movie, itself, but found Catherine Zeta-Jones so hot in that scene where she's slinking between the motion detecting lasers that he bought the DVD simply to watch the trailer (Which heavily focused on that scene) repeatedly. This was before YouTube got big, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    If there is heavy or semi-heavy focus on romance in any type of movie/tv show, I'll probably watch it.
    You must love Bollywood films!
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 09-03-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I knew a guy who bought the Entrapment DVD and would watch it on a regular basis. He told me he actually doesn't care for the movie, itself, but found Catherine Zeta-Jones so hot in that scene where she's slinking between the motion detecting lasers that he bought the DVD simply to watch the trailer (Which heavily focused on that scene) repeatedly. This was before YouTube got big, of course.
    Knew a guy in college who had the same habit with Jennifer Lopez films. He even owned The Cell.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Movies:
    [BoldJumper[/bold]
    Clash & Wrath of the Titans
    The Day After Tomorrow
    Legion
    Event Horizon
    GI Joe and GI Joe Retaliation
    F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

TV:
    Las Vegas
    I'm not embarrassed to say I like Jumper too. I think it's a good movie that most people dismiss outright.

Have you seen the show Impulse on YouTube? It has the same premise as Jumper but much grittier. I really dug season 1.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

My guilty pleasure tv show is Dead Like Me. It doesn't blow me away like some of my favorite shows, but I really enjoy watching it.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Knew a guy in college who had the same habit with Jennifer Lopez films. He even owned The Cell.
    I remember Jennifer Lopez looking pretty hot in some of her films back in the day.

I liked The Cell. Vince Vaughn was laughably bad in that movie (Whereas he was actually pretty good in True Detective), but certain elements of that film appealed to me. The visual effects by the director, and Vincent D'Onofrio's performance. It would've been a better film if they cast more talented actors in the roles Vaughn & Lopez played. Lopez looked super-hot in that huntswoman imagery toward the end, though.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Wolverine: X-Men Origins

There are some absolutely awful moments in it, but I'd be lying if I said there aren't parts that I love as well

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post

There are some absolutely awful moments in it, but I'd be lying if I said there aren't parts that I love as well

I've always said one of the positive aspects of that film is we saw what type of potential Ryan Reynolds had as Deadpool.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Television Show = The Golden Girls.

Movie = Coneheads and Sorority Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Television Show = The Golden Girls.

Movie = Coneheads and Sorority Boys.
    I think The Golden Girls is widely considered a really well written show. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I don't watch their Christmas moves, but I do like the mystery movie series they have on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries Channel. It's never tough to figure out whodunnit, but they're fun, light, and non-violent. Not quite in the Murder, She Wrote or Columbo standard, but definitely watchable.
    Like which one do you like the most?

I've been wanting to check those out but still haven't. I liked to watch Perry Mason.

Ultimate Member

I watched the American Idol last to just watch Jennifer Lopez.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post

Bad CGI claws aside until they went to 3 Mile Island I thought it was an ok film.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    While Chuck Norris was already ascending in Hollywood, it could be argued that Cannon turned him into an international superstar after a slew of films under their banner like The Delta Force, Invasion USA and Missing In Action just to name a few.
    You named 3 films I loved I loved all his early films Missing In Action films, Silent Rage, Hitman, Code of Silence, Hero and the Terror, Lone Wolf McQuade, Octagon, An Eye for an Eye are all great. Going to Cannon's other Chuck I think the original Death Wish is a good film and picture of the mentality of society in the 70's with rising violence in major cities but I'd be lying if I didn't say Death Wish 3 from Cannon Films isn't my favorite in the series it was gloriously over the top and I loved it. When I call something Schlock I do it with love.