Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I think they will be more upset if all the Skywalkers are dead and Rey turns out to be related to Palpatine. Which means that the movie was really about the rise of the Palpatine's.
    As a woman I loved the idea of the protagonist of the series being female.
    But unfortunately, with each film I found myself liking Rey less and Kylo more. He's the best character in Star Wars, even more so than Han Solo.

I'd happily see a dozen films with Kylo, but I've already seen enough of Rey.

There's been some leaked pages from the visual dictionary on the internet. Mainly some stuff about the Sith, Knights of Ren. etc should be noted that the visual dictionaries in general tiptoe around big spoilers. For instance, I'm pretty sure the TFA one didn't directly say that Kylo Ren was Han and Leia's son.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-16-2019 at 12:09 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's been some leaked pages from the visual dictionary on the internet. Mainly some stuff about the Sith, Knights of Ren. etc should be noted that the visual dictionaries in general tiptoe around big spoilers. For instance, I'm pretty sure the TFA one didn't directly say that Kylo Ren was Han and Leia's son.
    Those visual novels can also outright lie as well. I think The Last Jedi visual dictionary claimed Phasma was going to play a big role but that turned out to be wrong.

Just for the hell of it I thought of one more way I'd find it acceptable for Palpatine to survive Anakin. In any literal sense I'm completely against it. In my mind its not right if Anakin didn't physically destroy Sidious. I felt if he should return it should be purely in a spiritual form. However the trailers already seem to indicate that's not the case. So my alternative to that is if this new Palpatine body is a clone, and its attached to machinery because its supposed to be a clone "done right". No cut corners. And its not "fully baked" yet. How that detail would come into play is in my belief he was Snoke all along too. In that sense the Snoke body was quite primitive, rudiamentary in nature; grown more quickly. He had the force to power him but the body itself a rough draft and his spirit was inhabiting that vessel until the body that he wanted permanently as a truer physical representation of himself was ready, properly grown. Here, its not quite complete, but complete enough to inhabit and necessary since Kylo unpredictably destroyed the Snoke body.

In any case, in a cloned body situation, one it'd borrow from an old idea since clones have been part of the lore from the beginning (if not ever touched upon till EU, then the prequels). And it would mean Anakin did fulfill the prophecy from the standpoint of rule of nature.

But, all this may be moot as I'm more and more getting the feeling Anakin isn't going to be "present" in any way, like other past Jedi spirits might. An that's a second necessary part to this. If he has absolutely nothing to do with the final defeat spirit-wise, I'd still be dissatisfied.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-16-2019 at 09:28 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Early reactions are in, with plenty of spoilers too.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Early reactions are in, with plenty of spoilers too.
    I've just read them.
    Disappointing.

It honestly doesn't sound that bad outside that I still disagree with not trying at all to preserve the Chosen One aspect in some form. I mean, look, Lucas has done the same thing. The OT on its own, despite his insistence, was always about Luke. It wasn't a huge Anakin story. That's revisionist history that he had tried to publicly spin but it was never the true case. It changed as Lucas evolved the story, and the PT made it that. And that was perfectly fine. But it shows that the its not unprecedented for the larger theme to change. The ST is changing it again and making it more a larger Skywalker thing. I just think they could have done that while preserving all the larger aspects of the combined Lucas trilogies had they thought it through better.

In any case it sounds like the best journey in the saga is
    spoilers:
    Ben's. I'd known for some time he returns to the light but I'd also heard differing accounts of his end, like he's just uncerimoniously killed off by Sidious. The way it actually goes down is much better. I think people will have issue with the new Force power, but that's honestly always perplexed me. I don't get why with all the powers we saw created in Legends materials, showing new ones in these movies is treated like an ass-pull. They're all ass-pulls in the end, it was designed as a resource to let characters have super-powers when you get right down to it.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

As a fan of the Star Wars saga for over forty years all I can say is the hate directed at The Last Jedi should be directed at it's sequel.

What a Christmas present for Star Wars fans.
    Now I'm off to get drunk!��

My only real issue with TLJ was Luke's retconned motivation to hide (which was clearly supposed to be about more than just wanting to leave and die in TFA). This installment sounds like it tries to fix that retcon a bit while giving a touching send off. So I can't say I agree that this one will make anything worse on that particular front.

i have been told that hasbro wonīt even bother with the knights of ren as they seem to be in RoS as much as the PG has been in TLJ.
    not much into the toy biz, but a star wars movie that canīt sell toys?
    who would have thought?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    i have been told that hasbro wonīt even bother with the knights of ren as they seem to be in RoS as much as the PG has been in TLJ.
    not much into the toy biz, but a star wars movie that canīt sell toys?
    who would have thought?
    The sales of Star Wars merchandise have been in severe decline ever since TFA. Just last year Hasbro laid off 10% of their employees, a big reason for that was the collapse of Star Wars toys. So I totally understand if Hasbro is unwilling to fully commit to a RoS toy line, Star Wars is now a risky bet.

I think this might be the first SW I don't see in the theater. I didn't love the last jedi, but them bringing back palpateine and Kylo's turn is sooo anti-climatic. This feels like what they did with Blofeld in the last bond. It was Palpatine the whole time! The whole time! The whole time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    The sales of Star Wars merchandise have been in severe decline ever since TFA. Just last year Hasbro laid off 10% of their employees, a big reason for that was the collapse of Star Wars toys. So I totally understand if Hasbro is unwilling to fully commit to a RoS toy line, Star Wars is now a risky bet.
    I think part of that is that they kind of downgraded a lot of their smaller lines in quality, or came out with 'budget' figures. Same thing happened with Marvel too-trying to appeal more to the adult collector.

Astonishing Member

Just got out of the midnight showing here in Australia. Boy, oh boy. Still trying to digest it. It felt like the whole movie was a checklist and Abrams ticked them off one by one as he went along. Also, it was hilarious how much this film, while acknowledging TLJ, back tracks on many things.

Also spoilers:
    what the hell is with the Force powers now? The level they are amplified in this is whack
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 12-18-2019 at 09:04 AM.

So according to the comic the "ren" in the knights of Ren is another name for a lightsaber. So basically they're the knights of lightsaber. Kylo Lightsaber.

I'm kind of reminded of Bond Character, in which their abilities or some feature of them is kind of listed as part of their name. Jaws, Mr. Kill, Xenia Onatopp etc.