Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improve

5 38.46%
  • Ignore

8 61.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Star Wars Rise of Skywalker: Improve or Ignore

I have not seen rise of skywalker yet, seeing it on Saturday. The criticism of this film so far seems to be about fan service, messy plot and most importantly, trying to correct on the wrongs of last Jedi.

If You were JJ Abrams and his writers what would you have done going into Rise of Skywalker? Would you try to improve on the plot points of last Jedi, or ignore and retcon everything in last Jedi and come up with a total different plot points.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Easily Ignore. Not even a contest in my books.

There wasn't one character from this new trilogy (which I still have no idea what the hell its about) that interested me in the slightest.

Definitely not worth sacrificing an OT Character to tell their stories.

Ahsoka Tano, Cal Kestis, and the Mandalorian are far better characters.

This new trilogy compares to Joel Schumacher's Batman Movies...I like to think they never happened
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-19-2019 at 08:15 AM.

I don't think JJ Abrams could have improved on the plot points and I don't think things would have been better off ignoring them. I think what would have been better is let Rian Johnson craft his own sequel trilogy. The Last Jedi was not great, but I have a hard time blaming Johnson who is one of my favorite directors working today as opposed to a director whose only tools in his toolbox are nostalgia and puzzleboxing.

I think one should always try to improve rather than ignore.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

I'd have scraped this entire ST concept and tried to come up with something more interesting that actually progressed things.

Its better to improve than ignore. when you improve, you have a chance of making a bad situation more tolerable. when you ignore, you make people go wtf? or create an elephant in the room.

Critics now want to be bring JJ Abrams down for ignore, ironic as he was hired by Disney to improve, this even led to the exit of Colin T. Trevorrow, the original director for episode 9.

I really hate The Last Jedi. Of the Star Wars movies I've seen I consider it the worst. I can understand the temptation of ignoring it. However trying to ignore the problems isn't really going to help anything. It'll just lead to more questions. I would at least try to improve things.

Once you release lightning in a bottle it's not going back in. Trying to put it back in is a fool's errand. You'll just make yourself look like you don't know what you're doing. I do however find it ironic that the same critics that are condemning J.J Abrhams sung Rian Johnson's praises for ignoring the previous movie. It seems very hypocritical IMO.

Option C) Embrace the changes and try to make the third a good film with what was set up.

I didn't like the last jedi or the choices made and it seemed like Johnson threw away a lot of what Abrams set up, but feel like Abrams should have looked at what they had and run with it and try to make it work then what he did do which was retcon and bring back palp's. It seems like he made a third film to a second film that didn't exist.

I think they could have made Kylo the main villain, and had him rule the empire or maybe bring back the knights to help him. Or maybe do something interesting like make the sith and empire two separate bad guys against the rebels. That would have been at least something different then the whole memberberries of Palpatine.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I really hate The Last Jedi. Of the Star Wars movies I've seen I consider it the worst. I can understand the temptation of ignoring it. However trying to ignore the problems isn't really going to help anything. It'll just lead to more questions. I would at least try to improve things.

Once you release lightning in a bottle it's not going back in. Trying to put it back in is a fool's errand. You'll just make yourself look like you don't know what you're doing. I do however find it ironic that the same critics that are condemning J.J Abrhams sung Rian Johnson's praises for ignoring the previous movie. It seems very hypocritical IMO.
    Critics have an axe to grind. they want to frustrate many fans to prove they were right to give last Jedi great reviews. anything anti Last Jedi, critics dislike.

Abrams fixed everything wrong with The Last Jedi and restored balance to the force. I wasn't one of the people who hated Rian Johnson's effort, but Rise of Skywalker felt like a true Star Wars film rather than a cynical deconstruction.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Critics have an axe to grind. they want to frustrate many fans to prove they were right to give last Jedi great reviews. anything anti Last Jedi, critics dislike.
    Why do you love conspiracies...isn't it much more plausible to believe they simply liked one film more than another?

Critics like more thoughtful movies and not big event popcorn blockbusters. The fact that critics don't like this films should come as no shock. Like what you like, see what you want. I'm hardly a SW fanboy but I enjoyed the new film for all it's flaws. Plenty of fun cameos and nods to older films and some cool action. Easily the best of the new three IMO.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I have not seen rise of skywalker yet, seeing it on Saturday. The criticism of this film so far seems to be about fan service, messy plot and most importantly, trying to correct on the wrongs of last Jedi.

If You were JJ Abrams and his writers what would you have done going into Rise of Skywalker? Would you try to improve on the plot points of last Jedi, or ignore and retcon everything in last Jedi and come up with a total different plot points.
    Realistically I would have looked at where I was at and just made the best film and story I could from that slate. Kyle is the leader of the First Order and he's trying to build a whole new type of galactic order, Rey is the last Jedi the resistance has and only real threat to Kylo. The resistance was just inspired by Luke's last stand.

Probably wouldn't have brought back a major development like Palpatine.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Critics like more thoughtful movies and not big event popcorn blockbusters. The fact that critics don't like this films should come as no shock. Like what you like, see what you want. I'm hardly a SW fanboy but I enjoyed the new film for all it's flaws. Plenty of fun cameos and nods to older films and some cool action. Easily the best of the new three IMO.
    Critics like Marvel movies which aren't that thoughtful and are more blockbuster. The thing to understand is, in that scenario, they'd rather you keep it simple, have a standard 3 act structure, a few good emotional beats with a little character development. They punish blockbusters more for getting complex and convoluted if they can't stick the landing than aiming low and hitting the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I think critics and I have a very different definition of thoughtful.