Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Just got out of the midnight showing here in Australia. Boy, oh boy. Still trying to digest it. It felt like the whole movie was a checklist and Abrams ticked them off one by one as he went along. Also, it was hilarious how much this film, while acknowledging TLJ, back tracks on many things.

Also spoilers:
    what the hell is with the Force powers now? The level they are amplified in this is whack
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The Force has a balance to maintain. 50% light, 50% dark. If you have 20 Light Side users active, they are using 2.5%. If you have 2 Dark Sider users, they are using 25%. There are lest Force users in the universe now.
    end of spoilers
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    spoilers:
    The Force has a balance to maintain. 50% light, 50% dark. If you have 20 Light Side users active, they are using 2.5%. If you have 2 Dark Sider users, they are using 25%. There are lest Force users in the universe now.
    end of spoilers
    I get that. But its just the scale of it. Here is what I mean spoilers:
    Kylo links with Rey to find her location. He then snatches away a necklace given to her by the locals and actually has it in the flesh? They are literally teleporting things now. Then you have Palpatine who restores himself by draining the lifeforce from Rey and Kylo. He becomes so powerful he unleashes force lightning that engulfs the unknown regions and powers the fleet of Star Destroyers? Characters using the force to heal themselves from mortal wounds?
    end of spoilers

BANNED

I get that. But its just the scale of it. Here is what I mean Kylo links with Rey to find her location. He then snatches away a necklace given to her by the locals and actually has it in the flesh? They are literally teleporting things now. Then you have Palpatine who restores himself by draining the lifeforce from Rey and Kylo. He becomes so powerful he unleashes force lightning that engulfs the unknown regions and powers the fleet of Star Destroyers? Characters using the force to heal themselves from mortal wounds?
    Johnson had his own set of problems telling a Star Wars story, but this is ridiculous and helps nothing at all.

Sounds similar to Palpatine's abilities in Dark Empire, the original Emperor ressurection story. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

The force being used to heal I think has long been established (and also showed up in this week's Mandalorian), although we haven't seen too much of it in the films. It's possible it's what Obi-Wan used to revive Luke in ANH.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

force healing is just fine if you perform it more like aragorn/merry/faramir and not like a video game power.
    force drain is another video game power, but i canīt remember it empowering you to a level that you could devastate entire fleets.

it is all so meeh. so the manufacturers of protocol droids programmed a safety protocol that prevents these droids to translate ancient, secret cult language?

really?
    Last edited by abulafia; 12-18-2019 at 03:33 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I get that. But its just the scale of it. Here is what I mean spoilers:
    Kylo links with Rey to find her location. He then snatches away a necklace given to her by the locals and actually has it in the flesh? They are literally teleporting things now. Then you have Palpatine who restores himself by draining the lifeforce from Rey and Kylo. He becomes so powerful he unleashes force lightning that engulfs the unknown regions and powers the fleet of Star Destroyers? Characters using the force to heal themselves from mortal wounds?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    When Leia is filling the role of Master to Rey, she has been busy training, reading the Jedi texts, and honing her burgeoning Force powers. Who knows what's in there? It clear since the OT Palps knew stuff nobody else did. It's clear in the PT the Jedi hid things from each other and that Palps was finding more and more out.

Add in the Force balance thing, and you got Force users going from super space humans to space wizards.

In the OT, Force users are limited and treated as being burdened or heavy. Abilities take time to use and even their swings with sabers looked heavy. They are meant to be hidden and limited to keep Palps super powered.

In the PT, we saw Force users getting reigned in and lighter. We see new powers and fancier fighting. Palps uses that to manipulate them into getting in total control and strengthening his powers.

In the ST, we see the Force unbridled. Bigger and intuitive powers. Raw fights. Palps is trying to sheath the this new balance and use it for himself to be in total control.

It's a great theme, IMHO.

end of spoilers

Also, please spoiler tag people!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Spoilers is in the thread title. Please stop using them here. It's annoying. Most particularly when you post contained no spoilers!
    Last edited by AJBopp; 12-18-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Spoilers is in the thread title. Please stop using them here. It's annoying.
    so, what is your opinion about these click bait leaks now ajbopp?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Sounds similar to Palpatine's abilities in Dark Empire, the original Emperor ressurection story. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Force_storm_(wormhole)

The force being used to heal I think has long been established (and also showed up in this week's Mandalorian), although we haven't seen too much of it in the films. It's possible it's what Obi-Wan used to revive Luke in ANH.
    The force healing is actually kind of cool. But, in retrospect, it can essentially bring people back from the dead? Because Rey dies after killing a fully powered Palpatine (she channels all of the Jedi's who have ever lived to deflect his force lightning back at him using Anakin's and Leia's lightsabers) and Kylo brings her back at the cost of his own life.

Now, minor healing and certain wounds I can accept, but this blows the lid off the force. After this film, essentially nothing is off limits.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    When Leia is filling the role of Master to Rey, she has been busy training, reading the Jedi texts, and honing her burgeoning Force powers. Who knows what's in there? It clear since the OT Palps knew stuff nobody else did. It's clear in the PT the Jedi hid things from each other and that Palps was finding more and more out.

Add in the Force balance thing, and you got Force users going from super space humans to space wizards.

In the OT, Force users are limited and treated as being burdened or heavy. Abilities take time to use and even their swings with sabers looked heavy. They are meant to be hidden and limited to keep Palps super powered.

In the PT, we saw Force users getting reigned in and lighter. We see new powers and fancier fighting. Palps uses that to manipulate them into getting in total control and strengthening his powers.

In the ST, we see the Force unbridled. Bigger and intuitive powers. Raw fights. Palps is trying to sheath the this new balance and use it for himself to be in total control.

It's a great theme, IMHO.

end of spoilers

Not really because now they are essentially "gods" going at it. Want to take out an armada of enemy ships while powering hundreds of Star Destroyers? Force lightning! Need to find opposing enemies? Don't worry, just force link and strike them down from anywhere! I mean, why did Kylo even bother sending out people to look for Rey? All he needed to do was link to her and teleports a necklace across space (which he does).

There was something poetic and personal about two combatants going at it with lightsabers. After this, there is really no need to return to that because it is all about effects. Why the hell would I engage a Jedi/Sith in a duel if I can take them out anytime and anywhere?
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 12-18-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    so, what is your opinion about these click bait leaks now ajbopp?
    The only thing that was "leaked" and didn't happen was Kylo/Ben surviving. But everything else was on the money. For a film that supposedly had tight security, I was surprised just how much was true. About 90% of them are there.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Speaking of crazy force powers, in Rebels (which is canon), a sub-group within the Jedi discovered that the Force even made Time Travel possible, and they buried it from anyone finding out because they knew time travel was stupid and dangerous. And then the main characters destroyed it for the same reason, since Palpatine wanted it.

Honestly it does whatever the **** they want now. Force Storms that are fleet killers is something I'm used to seeing from the old EU though.

Matter passing through Kylo and Rey's connection was introduced in TLJ (the water from the planet splashing Kylo), and I thought that was a cool mystical detail, but only within the context that someone very powerful like Snoke engineered that connection. Its definitely too convenient for any force user to be capable of doing what their connection (which I assume is still unique to them) lets them do.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    i have been told that hasbro wonīt even bother with the knights of ren as they seem to be in RoS as much as the PG has been in TLJ.
    not much into the toy biz, but a star wars movie that canīt sell toys?
    who would have thought?
    They have gone after adults with the black line. It is interesting that a certain twosome was left out of that line. Finn & Rose. That is WAY more telling than the Knights of Ren. What is that saying when the one who got the most hate at first but was in the first waves of other lines from previous films is MIA. Then wonder why folks don't trust you.

For a film that supposedly had tight security, I was surprised just how much was true. About 90% of them are there.
    If a movie is being shown worldwide-there is no way to keep spoilers out. SOMEONE is going to talk.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Speaking of crazy force powers, in Rebels (which is canon), a sub-group within the Jedi discovered that the Force even made Time Travel possible, and they buried it from anyone finding out because they knew time travel was stupid and dangerous. And then the main characters destroyed it for the same reason, since Palpatine wanted it.

Honestly it does whatever the **** they want now. Force Storms that are fleet killers is something I'm used to seeing from the old EU though.

Matter passing through Kylo and Rey's connection was introduced in TLJ (the water from the planet splashing Kylo), and I thought that was a cool mystical detail, but only within the context that someone very powerful like Snoke engineered that connection. Its definitely too convenient for any force user to be capable of doing what their connection (which I assume is still unique to them) lets them do.

Snoke is hand waved away as just being another puppet of Palpatine. When he is tracked down by Kylo at the start of the film, Kylo asks him "Who are you?" And Palpatine says in Snokes and Vaders voice "I am Snoke, Vader, every single thought in your head." Was he Palpatine all along or somebody else? We don't know.

This isn't a clone. This is 100% the real deal (they don't explain how he ended up surviving ROTJ or ended up on Exogol). He wants Rey to strike him down because, as his granddaughter, his spirit will be able to possess her. Allowing him to live again (he is hooked up to an elaborate life-support system). "Take your rightful place, Empress Rey." Her father was Palpatine's son and Palpatine had him and Rey's mother killed by his elite Jedi hunter when they refused to reveal her location.

Rey and Kylo share a rare, and particularly strong, force "connection". Something only seen every few thousand generations. Because of it, Palpatine absorbs the lifeforce from them in order to restore himself to full power.

Lots of things aren't really explained. So I expect either the official novel adaptation or the comics to expand on them further.