Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Snoke is hand waved away as just being another puppet of Palpatine. When he is tracked down by Kylo at the start of the film, Kylo asks him "Who are you?" And Palpatine says in Snokes and Vaders voice "I am Snoke, Vader, every single thought in your head." Was he Palpatine all along or somebody else? We don't know....
    Sounds like an example of the infamous "Hijacked by Gannon" game trope lol -

"An inverted form of The Man Behind the Man. Rather than a new evil being behind an old villain, an old villain is behind a new one.

This is common for iconic villains (such as many of the ones from Nintendo games) with Joker Immunity — no matter how many times the hero beats them, they keep coming back in the next game. Frequently, they even retry the same evil plot."

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ijackedByGanon
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Sounds like an example of the infamous "Hijacked by Gannon" game trope lol -

"An inverted form of The Man Behind the Man. Rather than a new evil being behind an old villain, an old villain is behind a new one.

This is common for iconic villains (such as many of the ones from Nintendo games) with Joker Immunity — no matter how many times the hero beats them, they keep coming back in the next game. Frequently, they even retry the same evil plot."

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ijackedByGanon
    They don't really clarify it. I mean, Palpatine being the big bad across all the films was George's original intention. But we really should have had hints that he survived before now. Instead he just pops up in this and it really comes out of nowhere. They allude to the fact he was "influencing" Kylo all along when he says "I am every voice inside your head."

They really should have made a point to explain just how much he tried to screw with Kylo. He seduced Anakin in the PT. He tried with Luke in the OT and failed. The sequel trilogy really should have been him setting his sights on Kylo and Rey both. The ship already sailed, but storywise it would have been better if the events at the New Jedi Temple in TLJ were "manufactured" by Palpatine. So Ben only imagined Luke trying to strike him down and lashed out. Setting him on the road to joining the First Order.

Then, in this, it would be revealed that he was just another pawn to get to Rey. Thereby revealing that everything Kylo did was all due to lies and manipulation. In this Leia has to willingly die in order for Kylo to pause. He grieves for her and the vision of Han is what tips him back to the light. It should have been a steady build across all three films. Each one peeling back the layers with him slowly turning back to the light.

Astonishing Member

On the plus side, Lando survives. So does Chewie. We also get Wedge back!

Going on the force ressurection thing, looks like they pretty much canonized this: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dark_transfer

I'm curious if Marvel or Del Rey is going to fill in the blanks/questions regarding Palpatine's family. For all we know he could've been married during the movies,we just never really saw his wife/family.

Also the First Order wasn't formed by Snoke, he and Ren seem to be a relatively late addition it seems. Perhaps Palpatine replaced the old leaders (Hux's father, Sloane etc) with his own puppet, aligning things closer to his plans.

BTW the Jedi voices seem to confirm that Ashoka is probably dead. Kind of explains also why she didn't have anything to do with Luke's jedi.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-19-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

I wonder if Dave Filoni was peeved at JJ for doing that so causally? Sheev felt shoehorned in here. Seeing this, I'm absolutely convinced that they realized that killing off Snoke was a mistake, and this was damage control.

There's rumors of a followup series to Rebels which might deal with that. It's also quite possible she isn't dead-telepathy has long been established as a force power with living people too.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-19-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Just came back from the movie and it actually...wasn't horrible. It did feel really rushed since it tried to unf--- as much of TLJ as it possibly could. I think literally everything from TLJ that could be thrown out was thrown out. Which makes TLJ an even bigger waste than it already was.

spoilers:

-Sidious and Luke were easily the most entertaining part of the movie. But you probably already expected as much going in.
    -They seemed to hint at Finn being Force sensitive in TFA and all but confirmed in here. Too bad he was completely wasted in episode 8. Maybe something cool could have come from it
    -Anakin should have been the one to bring Ben back to the light side
    -Better fight scenes than the past two movies, but nothing on the level of the prequel, or even the OT duels
    -Finn and Poe actually have **** to do in this movie
    -Rose got demoted to barely being a cameo
    -Rey and Ben's bond feels completely forced
    -C-3P0 was actually pretty funny
    -The Knights of Ren did jack ****. The Praetorian Guards in TLJ put up more of a fight. Ben single-handedly wrecks all of them in 30 seconds smh
    -Sith Troopers might have had a grand total of 10 seconds of screentime
    -Sidious blasting an entire fleet out of the sky was some straight up EU-level ****. I'm not mad at it but...with all that power, I was expecting him to go out with an epic fight.
    -Hearing their voices was cool, but I would have liked seeing the past Jedi actually show up during the fight with Sidious. At least Luke and Anakin.
    -Ben Solo would have made a much more interesting protagonist
    -Ben should have defeated Sidious
    -Finn should have been the Jedi. Change my mind.
    end of spoilers

But overall, it was better than I thought it would be. Not great or anything, but probably as good as it was ever going to be after TLJ screwed everything up.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 12-19-2019 at 09:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Just came back from the movie and it actually...wasn't horrible. It did feel really rushed since it tried to unf--- as much of TLJ as it possibly could. I think literally everything from TLJ that could be thrown out was thrown out. Which makes TLJ an even bigger waste than it already was.

spoilers:

-Sidious and Luke were easily the most entertaining part of the movie. But you probably already expected as much going in.
    -They seemed to hint at Finn being Force sensitive in TFA and all but confirmed in here. Too bad he was completely wasted in episode 8. Maybe something cool could have come from it
    -Anakin should have been the one to bring Ben back to the light side
    -Better fight scenes than the past two movies, but nothing on the level of the prequel, or even the OT duels
    -Finn and Poe actually have **** to do in this movie
    -Rose got demoted to barely being a cameo
    -Rey and Ben's bond feels completely forced
    -C-3P0 was actually pretty funny
    -The Knights of Ren did jack ****. The Praetorian Guards in TLJ put up more of a fight. Ben single-handedly wrecks all of them in 30 seconds smh
    -Sith Troopers might have had a grand total of 10 seconds of screentime
    -Sidious blasting an entire fleet out of the sky was some straight up EU-level ****. I'm not mad at it but...with all that power, I was expecting him to go out with an epic fight.
    -Hearing their voices was cool, but I would have liked seeing the past Jedi actually show up during the fight with Sidious. At least Luke and Anakin.
    -Ben Solo would have made a much more interesting protagonist
    -Ben should have defeated Sidious
    -Finn should have been the Jedi. Change my mind.
    end of spoilers

But overall, it was better than I thought it would be. Not great or anything, but probably as good as it was ever going to be after TLJ screwed everything up.
    I also wonder which came first: Luke creating the New Jedi Academy or his search for Exogol.

Anakin being the one to turn Kylo back to the light would have worked. But he was still conflicted over Han's death. Plus it meant more Harrison. So I can understand why they settled on him.

Why didn't we see Ben with Luke and Leia at the end? He becomes one with the Force and that's it.

Well, I broke down and saw the movie (I witnessed an early critics/VIP screening yesterday). It was pretty mediocre and the setup to the ending was terrible, IMO, due to a massive exposition dump by you can guess who. Oh, and the Knights of Ren were a huge disappointment once they finally showed up. That's all I'll say.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-19-2019 at 11:45 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Saw it last night. Still digesting but I overall I liked it. Felt a bit like box-ticking indeed.

There was one moment where old Jedi voices were telling somebody to get up from the ground. Was waiting for Samuel L. Jackson's voice to say "get up ************"

I LOVED IT! It was everything great about Star Wars in one movie and fixed what came before. Did JJ Abrams go down the line throwing away what Rian Johnson came up with? Sure, but it had to be done in order to make this trilogy satisfying and I for one was beyond satisfied.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Still processing, but it felt a bit like overcompensation for TLJ? I don't know, I have mixed feelings about everything post-TLJ. I struggle with loving some of the concepts and hating others. I guess I wish they had found some kind of middle ground between Johnson's scorched earth approach and Abrams' fan service. Can't say with any certainty but it appears as though Disney may have let things get out of hand behind the scenes? Like they were all in on Johnson pretty much ignoring everything Abrams set up, and then they went all in the other direction. So I get the sense that maybe both directors felt like they weren't served well by that, given their vague interview comments about challenging audiences vs. not going meta.

Maybe they should have just admitted the trilogy format wasn't going to work at this point and made ten episodes? The film moved at such a rapid pace there were hardly time to digest any of it. The idea of spoilers:
    other First Order stormtroopers rebelling and looking up to Finn was cool
    end of spoilers but probably should have been introduced in one film and brought to a conclusion in another.

Wish the climatic battle scene had involved spoilers:
    Anakin and Luke
    end of spoilers in a more meaningful way.
    Last edited by David Walton; 12-20-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Looks like most fan reactions I've seen are mostly positive while critical reactions are mixed.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Looks like most fan reactions I've seen are mostly positive while critical reactions are mixed.
    At the showing I went to, the response was really positive. Most of the jokes landed and there was a lot of clapping.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    At the showing I went to, the response was really positive. Most of the jokes landed and there was a lot of clapping.
    I haven't really enjoyed the last two so I probably won't see it until it hits my local cinema pub(it's Star Wars, even bad I gotta watch it) but I'm glad it's enjoyable for others. I mean, if it really did poorly as some dissatisfied fans seem to hope that could mean no more Star Wars which would mean no more hope of future films like Rogue One, or Shows like the Mandalorian, Rebels or the Clone Wars.