Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Finn and Rey do have fantastic chemistry...but I'd just put that down to the actors just having chemistry rather than Abrams as Poe fell completely flat in the Force Awakens which in turn made the focus on him in the second film a head scratcher. It's another case of telling rather than showing that these new films really struggle with, we're told again and again how big Poe is...but the scenes he has are terribly important or memorable so you're not given any real emotional tie to him that makes you care if he succeeds or not.
    Reportedly, Finn and Rey's bond was decent but paled in comparison to Ridley and Boyega's natural interactions... So when Harrison Ford got hurt, Abrams used the oppurtunity to heavily retool and reshoot their scenes to specifically incorporate that natural chemistry. He also at some post brought Poe back into the film after he was originally killed off in the first few minutes because he saw how good Boyega and Isaac were clicking; that explains both why Poe was awkwardly placed as a supporting character in TFA... And why yet again, cast chemistry is a trump card for TFA that TLJ doesn't even come close to touching. Poe may only continue on in TFA because of the actors charisma and his chemistry with Boyega, but that's a lot better than the out-of-left-field obsession Rian Johnson had with promoting him just so he could try to deconstruct an Ace Pilot archetype that I'd argue Poe didn't fit, even as simple as he was in TFA.

...And I got to say, even if they first told us Poe was a great pilot, Abrams sure as hell showed us that, too. TFA may be a cover band version of ANH, but everything about Abrams filmography says that the cast chemistry and strong ensemble work is the result of his skills and awareness as a director and storyteller. And in comparing TFA and TLJ, there's no question: TFA contains far more showing than TLJ does, and far more competently. Rian Johnson usually brings a strong writing game, but in TLJ his craft suffered from an apathy towards the actual leads and a laziness in narrative convenience that was probably the result of being overworked.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's rumors that Matt Smith might be playing a younger Palpatine (Perhaps revealing any possible relationship with Snoke?)

I'm not sure about that. Funny thing is, I think Sylvestor McCoy actually used to look a lot like Mcdiarmid (if you look at 80's photos of both, Ian without the Palpatine makeup of course).
    Smith's facial construction could maybe mimic Palpatine Makeup, but doesn't really fit the Palaptine in the Prequels.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

iMan 42s

If true that it's Palpatine, we could be looking at a much younger Palpatine.

Sheev was already middle aged by the Prequels, so he could look vastly different than how we originally saw him. That being said, the actual young Ian Mcdiarmid looks pretty close to his adult self and he pretty much always had that hair style. That's not totally a problem for Star Wars recasting, but it may be something that requires a bit of movie magic to make convincing.

However Matt Smith does have the right kind of facial structure for the disfigured Emperor so maybe it's a hologram of the Emperor, or potentially a flashback?

We also don't know the specifics of how Plauguies saved people in Disney continuity so it may be full resurrections and maybe that's how Palpatine returns? We also know that in Disney continuity that Sith spirits can be summoned or bound to objects or places (in some cases leaving behind dark essence potentially as a byproduct) and we do have things like Palpatine's store houses and an unaccounted for lightsaber. Maybe Kylo Ren finds Palpatine's Kyber crystal and the left over darkness causes him to commune with Palpatine but on a level Kylo Ren is comfortable with?
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member

If they were to do a Smith-as-Young-Palpatine move, that'd be the kind of thing best suited to keeping it quiet for much of the film, where the fact that it's Palpatine is a reveal that impacts the story. If you want Kylo interacting with someone he knows is Palpatine, then honestly McDiarmid could just do the role with some CGI help to make him younger or scarred without needing to sit for so much make-up. ButSmith playing someone like an ghostly advisor to Kylo from a Sith Holocron, only to transform into his elder form when Kylo is looking for some kind of reinforcement and go full McDiarmid crazy could work wonders.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

iMan 42s

If Luke returns (and eventually will) I can imagine it be a retooling of one of the endings to Return of the Jedi where the ghosts also confront the Emperor along with Luke. Except maybe in this case it's Yoda, Luke, and Rey who are confronting Kylo Ren with Palpatine by his side. They keep pushing for the sith ghost so I wouldn't be surprised if they do it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    If Luke returns (and eventually will) I can imagine it be a retooling of one of the endings to Return of the Jedi where the ghosts also confront the Emperor along with Luke. Except maybe in this case it's Yoda, Luke, and Rey who are confronting Kylo Ren with Palpatine by his side. They keep pushing for the sith ghost so I wouldn't be surprised if they do it.
    Mark Hamill is confirmed to return.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Mark Hamill is confirmed to return.
    They've been pushing for Hayden, too. I could see Vader/Anakin being the ghost that backs Kylo but gets turned (again). Why would they waste Matt Smith on somebody that would gladly come back to cameo?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-06-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Some of the older ROTJ scripts actually had the ghosts physically return to life(!)

The Last Jedi did have Yoda's ghost able to manipulate the weather and bonk Luke on the head, too....although it could be argued somewhat that ROTJ already had Obi-Wan interact with the physical world by being able to sit on a Dagobah log (and Yoda himself on the Ewok village), whereas he was pretty much stuck in place in ESB . Luke's projection did seem a bit inconsistent, it was able to interact with Leia but Kylo's saber phased right through it.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

throw DS clone at the already crippled "resistance"? kill my suspense of disbelieve right here...
    ep VIII basically places the underdogs in the same position liberal forces were left after ROTS
    unless the triology formula is broken, i can´t see this working
    ah screw it, anything goes with this pile of crap
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

The World Devestators aren't really as destructive as the Death Stars or Starkiller; they're more kind of strip-mining machines that the First Order could use on planets that it's conquered, perhaps.

Starkiller was effective enough in that it eliminated the center of the New Republic, and possibly much of it's fleet too (It's stated in some of the other materials that the NR doesn't have much of a fleet since they wanted to sort of return to the pre-Clone Wars republic, which didn't seem to have much of a military apart from the Jedi and planetary forces like Naboo).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The World Devestators aren't really as destructive as the Death Stars or Starkiller; they're more kind of strip-mining machines that the First Order could use on planets that it's conquered, perhaps.

Starkiller was effective enough in that it eliminated the center of the New Republic, and possibly much of it's fleet too (It's stated in some of the other materials that the NR doesn't have much of a fleet since they wanted to sort of return to the pre-Clone Wars republic, which didn't seem to have much of a military apart from the Jedi and planetary forces like Naboo).
    Basically this, except that they are also self-contained factories as well, strip mining worlds while building droid tie fighters and soldiers to defend the thing from attackers, as well as what other atrocities for the populace Palpatine has in mind. They are kind of a slow motion superweapon, allowing the people to watch as their planet is slowly made uninhabitable while knowing anything near the surface will get made into more Imperial forces. Much more of a terror weapon than a superweapon, but still a very scary one when you consider the implications.

Extraordinary Member

Some of the older ROTJ scripts actually had the ghosts physically return to life(!)

The Last Jedi did have Yoda's ghost able to manipulate the weather and bonk Luke on the head, too....although it could be argued somewhat that ROTJ already had Obi-Wan interact with the physical world by being able to sit on a Dagobah log (and Yoda himself on the Ewok village), whereas he was pretty much stuck in place in ESB . Luke's projection did seem a bit inconsistent, it was able to interact with Leia but Kylo's saber phased right through it.
    I've been thinking that, if they want to gracefully incorporate some explanations about Snoke's influence on Kylo and maybe better equip Kylo for getting redeemed, you could have Snoke revealed as haunting Kylo and trying to possess him, and that he was trying to do that to Kylo for a long time by brainwashing him when he was younger. Then have Rey and Luke struggle to excorcise Snoke form Kylo, while maintaining Kylo as a greater physical threat.

I think that if Abrams re-embraces the suggestion that something's wrong with Kylo, as suggested by his Vader worship in TFA, you can make him more pitiable right off the bat, maintain his dangerous edge, and maybe better excuse why he should survive the film after all the horrible things he's done. And Snoke haunting him, like how some Sith spirits could haunt items and places in Legends, can facilitate that and arguably increase his threat level.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Basically this, except that they are also self-contained factories as well, strip mining worlds while building droid tie fighters and soldiers to defend the thing from attackers, as well as what other atrocities for the populace Palpatine has in mind. They are kind of a slow motion superweapon, allowing the people to watch as their planet is slowly made uninhabitable while knowing anything near the surface will get made into more Imperial forces. Much more of a terror weapon than a superweapon, but still a very scary one when you consider the implications.
    The part where World Devastators are also factories might be my favorite reason for why they're not your average Star Wars super-weapon; building evil things out of your dead enemy makes them a more practical weapon, and honestly the FO could use something like that to explain why they've got so many resources, and they'd imply some horrifying things about what happened to the Chiss when the FO appeared in the Unknown Regions.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The part where World Devastators are also factories might be my favorite reason for why they're not your average Star Wars super-weapon; building evil things out of your dead enemy makes them a more practical weapon, and honestly the FO could use something like that to explain why they've got so many resources, and they'd imply some horrifying things about what happened to the Chiss when the FO appeared in the Unknown Regions.
    Which would be good, because the Resistance basically needs Grand Admiral Thrawn after what happened in The Last Jedi. A resistance movement made up of a couple dozen people whose best people made everything worse with every action have less than zero credibility as a threat to even a weakened First Order. They need something drastic to restore some credibility after spending the last film going out of the way to make everybody incompetent.

At the 1:10;45 mark. Where's my salt?

I mean to me it makes sense , I think if they do that leia's role would be more of a back drop of sorts on that matter .

I do Like the idea of the Hutts and also that the first order is gonna have like a Legion of Doom Super Friends style Underwater Death Star !!! , idk man to me that sounds pretty bad ass and I'd love to see how its handled .

Are they ever going to give a name to that thing?

Episode 9, to the bottom we go? Or Episode 9, the darker part of the darkest side? Episode 9, the Ewoks strike back?