Extraordinary Member

Default Superman Returns vs Man Of Steel

My buddy and I recorded a podcast comparing the two films (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=418688625), but we also noted that both are completely different animals regarding the franchise... But still have a few kind of weird similarities.

I mean, one was trying to refit and relaunch an old series, even to the extent of casting actors more for the way they could play Donner's versions than me ones, while the other film was very much trying to start over and reinterpret the characters. But both had excellent casts, and both featured Kryptonian terraforming as key plot points.

Both also have some interesting implications when viewed in hindsight. Jason White is basically a prototype of Chris Kent and Jon Kent, while there's actually some heartwarming implications about Smallville in MOS when you realize that a good chunk fit eh town probably knows about Clark, but didn't utter a peep under Zod's threat.

What dot out guys think? Is one better than the other? Are there things we missed?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Um, wrong forum.

Extraordinary Member

Hot damn, you're right.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

It's been years since I watched Returns, some 10 years or more, but I remember seeing it as a kid when it released and not being impress, same the second time I watched it. I was pretty confused, was this a continuation of some previous movie? If it was, everyone looked pretty young compared with the cast in the Reeves' ones. Years passed and I learned more about the movie true intentions, but I haven't got interested to watch it again, so I have to give this comparison to MOS by far. MOS, despite the complaints I have, was entertaining and an interesting, though flawed, take on Superman. The two first Reeves movies are still my favorites Superman movies, but I have still to watch III and the Donner's cut, and probably a live action movie that I'm not aware of and some animated ones that I know about but haven't checked out
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I had never even known that Superman Returns was a theatrical movie. I was at Best Buy and picked up the DVD of The Dark Knight Rises because I liked the movie and saw they had Superman Returns and picked it up too.
    Watching Superman Returns it didn't seem very good so it didn't come as a big surprise that it was a direct to video movie, or so I thought. I was shocked to learn later on that it had been an actual theatrical movie.
    While with Man of Steel it was pretty obvious this was a movie meant to be seen in a theater. So from a pure craftsmanship point of view, Man of Steel is the better movie, though I don't like either one.