Default Batman Morrison Omni - thoughts?

Just ordered this. I’ve never read any of it. What are your thoughts/opinions? Is Final Crisis a must read before or during or after the Omni, or is it included?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"Now collecting the entirety of this epic saga, this first of three omnibus collections introduces Batman to his son, Damian Wayne, and takes the Caped Crusader from the brink of death to the edge of madness. These blockbuster stories, including the now-classic Batman & Son, Batman: The Black Glove and Batman R.I.P., feature a deconstruction of superhero comics like no other, with a challenging, thought-provoking take on the man behind the cowl.

Collects Batman #655-658, #663-683 and stories from DC Universe #0 and #30 and #47, from artists Andy Kubert, J.H. Williams III, Tony S. Daniel and more, along with two brand-new pages from superstar artist Chris Burnham (Batman Incorporated), recapping events from The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul."

Final Crisis is after RIP. If Omnibus Vol. 2 comes out you can check if Final Crisis is included.

I loved Morrison's run. My experience was enhanced by reading some online annotations which allowed me to appreciate things that had gone over my head.

If you are going to read Final Crisis it's after Batman RIP, so after this first omnibus. I have to warn you that my knowledge of the DC Universe in general is not great, so your experience may be different, but I was thoroughly confused and bored by Final Crisis, and as a complement to Morrison's Batman run it did not work very well, because Batman's role was very limited. FC is not naturally connected to what was happening in Morrison's Batman run. In fact, I felt kind of cheated by it, because I felt the great, loving buildup towards Batman's death in RIP deserved the payoff, instead of Final Crisis taking it after a couple of pages of Batman. So Final Crisis interfering with Morrison's Batman run was a low for me, but it's just a moment. Instead of the RIP death, Batman "dies" again, or more to the point, is sent back in time in FC, and you can go from there with the rest of Morrison's Batman run.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd line g View Post
    Just ordered this. I’ve never read any of it. What are your thoughts/opinions? Is Final Crisis a must read before or during or after the Omni, or is it included?
    Final Crisis isn't included in the omnibus. It's a separate story, but runs alongside Morrison's Batman run and enhances it, I think. Batman's involvement with Final Crisis is summarized in Batman 701-702, and I'm guessing those will be in the second omnibus.

Reading Morrison's Batman run as it was coming out was probably the most fun I ever had reading monthly comic books, especially when Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne, and Morrison writing Batman 700-702 were all coming out at the same time. It's a challenging read, especially the Batman RIP/Final Crisis parts, but I found it equally enjoyable.

Astonishing Member

Love Grant Morrison's Batman run. My favourite comic run ever. Reread it a number of times.

I remember when I first started reading it I was surprised it was just a Denny O'Neil style story rather than his usual stuff but that was before it started getting to things like Batmite is actually a self defence mechanism against mental attacks.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Empty is thy hand!

I don't trust DC to include the entire story or in read order, so I've been planning to pay a service and bind my own three volume set of this epic. I'll wait to see how DC handles their collection before I commit to making my own.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    I don't trust DC to include the entire story or in read order, so I've been planning to pay a service and bind my own three volume set of this epic. I'll wait to see how DC handles their collection before I commit to making my own.
    Why wouldn’t they include the whole story and put it in the right order? I’m being serious. Has this been an issue before?

It’s a damn great run. ALL of Batman continuity is brought into play. The psychotic dark avenger and the cheerful sci-fi detective are both present. A ton of stuff that defines the modern Batman gets debuted here.