Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default It's A Monster Mash - Marvel Horror Appreciation

Sorry if something like this already exists, I was unable to see one! I thought it would be fun to have an appreciation thread for the spooky side of the Marvel Universe. Werewolf By Night, Dracula, Man-Thing, Frankenstein etc.

I feel like this corner of the MU deserves some love! So here are three of my favourite Marvel horror covers!

If it's Marvel and spooky then feel free to share it, talk about it and appreciate it!
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

It would be great if they did a Halloween special with all these characters in it. Man-Thing, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster and Living Mummy. Add in the Night Shift and make it a giant issue. That would be awesome! Instead we get an Avengers Halloween. Much rather see characters suited to Halloween.

I really want to see more of the R.L stine run on man thing. That was heaps of fun but I didn’t even know it was out til it appeared as a tradd

Marvel Zomnibus

Collecting
    Marvel Zombies: Dead Days,
    Marvel Apes: Prime Eight,
    Marvel Zombies: Evil Evolution,
    Ultimate Fantastic Four #21-23 + #30-32,
    Marvel Zombies #1-5,
    Black Panther #28-30,
    Marvel Zombies 2 #1-5,
    Marvel Zombies Return #1-5,
    Marvel Zombies 3 #1-5,
    Marvel Zombies 4 #1-4,
    Marvel Zombies 5 #1-5,
    Marvel Zombies Supreme #1-5

Essential Marvel Horror 1

Collects
    GHOST RIDER #1-2,
    MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #12-24,
    SON OF SATAN #1-8,
    MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #14,
    MARVEL TEAM-UP #32 + #80-81,
    VAMPIRE TALES #2-3,
    HAUNT OF HORROR #24-25,
    MARVEL PREMIERE #27

Essential Marvel Horror 2

Collects
    SUPERNATURAL THRILLERS #5 + #7-15 (Living Mummy)
    STRANGE TALES #169-173, TALES OF THE ZOMBIE #6 + #10 MARVEL TEAM-UP #24 (Brother Voodoo)
    HAUNT OF HORROR #2-5, MONSTERS UNLEASHED #11 (Gabriel the Devil Hunter)
    STRANGE TALES #174 and #176-177, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #11 (Golem)
    MARVEL CHILLERS #1-2, MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #33 (Modred the Mystic)
    DEAD OF NIGHT #11,
    MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #26,
    MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE #18

Astonishing Member

I only touched upon the zombies story

Was it ever revealed where it came from..?

I'd like it if they used the actual characters.

The last few revivals have just been fakes wearing monster costumes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    I'd like it if they used the actual characters.

The last few revivals have just been fakes wearing monster costumes.
    Yeah. I remember getting that Howling Commandos comic years ago (the first one with monsters. It had a revival). And I was disappointed that almost none of the characters were actually characters from the '70s horror comics. It was all stuff like "Clone of Frankenstein" and "Warwolf" and whoever that Living Mummy was, it certainly wasn't N'Kantu.

My personal favorite Marvel horror monster? This guy:
    MarvelFrankenstein.jpg
    He so rarely gets any use. I mean, he's definitely more well-known than someone like Gabriel the Devil Slayer, but the monster characters writers usually go for are Dracula the Werewolf and Man-Thing.

Huge Fan of Dracula and Werewolf by Night.

This may be a better thread to ask than the Blade one... Does anyone know when, where, and why Dracula went from looking like THIS...

Dracula-Marvel-Comics-d.jpg

To looking like THIS?!?

First time I saw it was in the Avengers Assemble cartoon. I was kind of giddy that an actual blood sucking DRACULA was actually in the show... but MAN I didn't understand the style change. Now I see it's been adopted in the comics too. There's just something about this character... that doesn't look, act or feel like classic Dracula. If you told me he was some kind of Hydra Dracula Clone like Bloodstorm one from Nightstalkers, I'd totally believe it.

But yeah, was there ever a change over... or did it just happen and people act like he was always this way now?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

This may be a better thread to ask than the Blade one... Does anyone know when, where, and why Dracula went from looking like THIS...

To looking like THIS?!?

First time I saw it was in the Avengers Assemble cartoon. I was kind of giddy that an actual blood sucking DRACULA was actually in the show... but MAN I didn't understand the style change. Now I see it's been adopted in the comics too. There's just something about this character... that doesn't look, act or feel like classic Dracula. If you told me he was some kind of Hydra Dracula Clone like Bloodstorm one from Nightstalkers, I'd totally believe it.

But yeah, was there ever a change over... or did it just happen and people act like he was always this way now?
    I agree. Classic Dracula is by far and away the best.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

To looking like THIS?!?

The design first premiered in a one-shot that led up to Victor Gischler's "Curse of the Mutants" story in the X-Men comics. You know, the same story in which they changed Jubilee into a vampire (thank goodness that's been undone. I love monsters. And I love Jubilee. But not in the same package). There was no explanation given for the change.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I agree. Classic Dracula is by far and away the best.
    Marvel probably thinks this "kewl" look appeals more to readers (sigh).

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    Marvel probably thinks this "kewl" look appeals more to readers (sigh).
    Out with the old seems to be their goal.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    The design first premiered in a one-shot that led up to Victor Gischler's "Curse of the Mutants" story in the X-Men comics. You know, the same story in which they changed Jubilee into a vampire (thank goodness that's been undone. I love monsters. And I love Jubilee. But not in the same package). There was no explanation given for the change.

interview about the one shot

Marvel Discusses Death of Dracula Storyline
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/artic...e/1100-141306/
    The J-man

I don't understand why marvel doesn't put out a series of Halloween one-shots every October. It doesn't have to be an event or anything, just give us some cool stuff.

Does anybody remember the 90s Supernatural miniseries? Marvel let the Chaos Comics guys do some reinventions of their characters. While it weasn't really a well written series, I loved it just for all the Halloweeny goodness it packed into it.

I also really liked Brother Voodoo's redesign although I can understand why people would think it's "too 90s."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Yeah. I remember getting that Howling Commandos comic years ago (the first one with monsters. It had a revival). And I was disappointed that almost none of the characters were actually characters from the '70s horror comics. It was all stuff like "Clone of Frankenstein" and "Warwolf" and whoever that Living Mummy was, it certainly wasn't N'Kantu.

My personal favorite Marvel horror monster? This guy:
    MarvelFrankenstein.jpg
    He so rarely gets any use. I mean, he's definitely more well-known than someone like Gabriel the Devil Slayer, but the monster characters writers usually go for are Dracula the Werewolf and Man-Thing.
    This. Exactly. I was really excited for this book until I realized who was in it. I really don't get it. The classic horror characters weren't even being used. Perfect opportunity to revive them, and we got this instead. Bought the first issue and dropped it. I would love to see these characters brought back to prominence.