Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default X-23 #3 Recap and Review

The issue, per usual, begins with the preview. Laura pursues the Cuckoos, vaulting across cars to catch up with their van. However it's not until she gets it to stop that she realizes she's been had; the Cuckoos planted Gabby's goggles on a random vehicle to throw off her ability to track by scent, and used their telepathy for the rest.

Laura returns to the church and locates Dr. Marks, who is mildly confused to find herself there, rather than her lab. Marks tells Laura that she's moved on from cloning since the X-23 project, and is now working on grafting cloned memories onto an existing host. The material that she was given to work with was too badly degraded, however, and the cloned host bodies were unable to tolerate the parasitic relationship of the new pysche. Marks' research has led her to conclude that X-23 — and, by extension, her sisters — would make for ideal hosts.

Hearing this sets Laura off, and she lays into Marks over why she took back up the name X-23: So when she came after people like her, they would know WHY. Meanwhile, Gabby manages to get loose enough to activate her tracker, setting off an alarm on Laura's buckle. Laura departs with Marks still among the living, but makes it very clear that if she returns to her work, or if Gabby dies, she won't be for long.

Laura places a call to someone she hasn't spoken with in a while, while the Cuckoos strap a drugged and even more talkative than normal Gabby into a chair. She pesters them about their birthday, before noticing the increasingly decrepit Esme next to her. One of the Cuckoos (probably Mindee) is apologetic.

Meanwhile, Laura has regrouped with Warren for a ride and followed Gabby's tracker to the warehouse where the Cuckoos are working. She doesn't clue him in on what's happening, and makes clear she has no intention to. She also doesn't want anyone that the Cuckoos can manipulate and turn against her. Once over the warehouse Laura has Warren release her. She crashes through the skylight, but too late.

The Cuckoos activate Dr. Marks' machine.

Another brilliant issue. After the much more character-driven issue 2, #3 drives the plot forward with action, beginning with the opening car chase, and ending with Laura's dramatic crash into the warehouse.

As with the previous issues, the Cabal/Woodward team is the glue that holds the book together. Cabal's spectacular use of panels and layouts keeps every page interesting and dynamic, greatly supported by Woodward's colors. And of course there's more gags to be found (Laura's phone, once again).

We also get a hint as to Laura's reasoning for returning to the X-23 moniker. While not everyone will be satisfied, at the very least the book acknowledges that Laura hates the name. However she's resumed using it for a purpose: With her new self-appointed mission of putting down people like those who experimented on her and her sisters, she wants her targets to know WHY she's coming for them. Hopefully we get more expansion on this in the future, but at the very least it's an explanation that makes a degree of sense.

Warren's cameo was a mild disappointment. As flying taxis go he WAS the most practical choice for Laura needing to get somewhere in a hurry, but the structure of this story would have made an awesome setup for a Mercury Falling nod and a Hellion reunion. At the very least, the appearance seems to confirm (while STILL not outright stating it) that Laura and Warren are no longer together. It also helps to place the series; Clearly it's set sometime before Extermination since Warren still has his energy wings (and, frankly, is still HERE).

But that's a minor quibble, as it keeps the issue moving quickly, especially after the criticism that #2 slowed things down a little too much. Overall it's a spectacular issue, and X-23 continues to be probably the best book in the X-line.

BANNED

This series is so stupidly good. I hope the Cuckoos stick around after this arc, I like the idea of clone solidarity.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    This series is so stupidly good. I hope the Cuckoos stick around after this arc, I like the idea of clone solidarity.
    This will depend on how this story ends.

I'm sure Gabby would forgive them without problems but Laura it's another story and would not blame her for it.

Eh, the Cuckoos are better when they are the same to each other, and different to others. Celeste being a lot like her mom, Mindee being a bit more emotional, Phoebe being more introverted.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think it would be beyond awesome if Esme permanently took over Gabby's mind. And a piece of Gabby is always in there sort of like the Rogue-Ms Marvel dynamic they had for a very long time.

Doubt very much they'd do it... but that would be amazing.

They're clearly setting up Esme to be manipulating the other Cuckoos so my guess is the other Cuckoos will be forgiven/redeemed and hopefully it lets them bond with their fellow clones.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

So this issue establishes that Laura and Warren haven’t been regularly talking, but she still feels comfortable enough to use him as an on call transportation service, and he’ll still drop whatever he’s doing to help her.

Pretty weird relationship status between them that they go from whatever the hell was going on in ANXM and awkward head pats in ANW to this. Wish we’d get a clear explanation on panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    So this issue establishes that Laura and Warren haven’t been regularly talking, but she still feels comfortable enough to use him as an on call transportation service, and he’ll still drop whatever he’s doing to help her.

Pretty weird relationship status between them that they go from whatever the hell was going on in ANXM and awkward head pats in ANW to this. Wish we’d get a clear explanation on panel.
    That is a good point. Maybe they just still have a decent comradeship going and they're both used to working together

OBEY

Astonishing Member

What did gabby mean when she said she was in a washing machine again ? How did she get locked in it the first time ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    That is a good point. Maybe they just still have a decent comradeship going and they're both used to working together
    I mean considering an X-Man can't throw a rock at the Mansion without hitting at least ONE ex, they kinda all have to be able to maintain working relationships afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    What did gabby mean when she said she was in a washing machine again ? How did she get locked in it the first time ?
    Heh, I caught that, too. I doubt it will ever be explained, and was just there for the gag.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I mean considering an X-Man can't throw a rock at the Mansion without hitting at least ONE ex, they kinda all have to be able to maintain working relationships afterwards.

Heh, I caught that, too. I doubt it will ever be explained, and was just there for the gag.
    I get that but at the same time I can see gabby locking herself in a washing machine

I'm having a hard time seeing the Cuckoos being redeemed after this story (unless they're being mind-controlled as well).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I think it would be beyond awesome if Esme permanently took over Gabby's mind. And a piece of Gabby is always in there sort of like the Rogue-Ms Marvel dynamic they had for a very long time.

Doubt very much they'd do it... but that would be amazing.

They're clearly setting up Esme to be manipulating the other Cuckoos so my guess is the other Cuckoos will be forgiven/redeemed and hopefully it lets them bond with their fellow clones.
    I wouldnt mind it considering how annoying Gabby can be

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I wouldnt mind it considering how annoying Gabby can be
    Probably not the right thread to voice that sentiment but... yes.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    It could just be that the Cuckoos are psychically altering her mind the same way that certain drugs do when they put you under for surgery. People say all sorts of weird things after they wake up. But then again, Gabby says weird things all the time anyway.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Probably not the right thread to voice that sentiment but... yes.
    yeah, definitely not the right thread.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"