Boisterously Confused

Default Torn Between Two Lovers: DC and Marvel

Anybody else ping pong back and forth between preferring Marvel over DC and vice versa?

Non-issue.

I read what is interesting. Don't really get the "Versus" mindset, at all.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I don't read any DC, not because I have any strong opinion one way or the other, but because I have decided to read all of Earth-616 chronologically, except for the stuff like westerns and Conan that don't deal with heroes, so I can't really add DC to my stupid goal, although I did shotgun all of Injustice and Injustice 2 in two days.
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Anybody else ping pong back and forth between preferring Marvel over DC and vice versa?
    Not really. Marvel has pulled too many events / stealth cancellations / and constant relaunching of books within a year or two for me to even bother with them any more. There just seems no point to it for my preferences.

I've gone back and forth but it's generally as simple as I buy more Marvels than DCs, or more DCs than Marvels. With talent going from one publisher to the other, it's often a case of me falling into a case of creator and character combinations I like. Comics are far more like networks than they are Sports teams. Competitors do better when they have better competition.

Ultimate Member

I read anything good from the both of them.

Why ping pong back and forth ? Just read what you like and what is good.

Ghost of the Stratosphere Not BAMF's Avatar

When I was a kid through high school, I was pretty much strictly Marvel.

During college, I was almost exclusively DC.

In the last ten years, both companies have frustrated the hell out of me. I only buy cooks with characters I already know I love now unless my buddies make strong recommendations.

I'm mostly a fan of Horror so I have no love for either one.

I've been peeking at the batman marriage thing here & there.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Open relationship? Heck, it's like an orgy these days between them and Dynamite, IDW, Boom, etc.

Love the one you're with!
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I grew up strictly reading Marvel comics until DC's COIE came out and I grabbed #1 off the rack and was blown away by it. After that maxi-series ended, I really got into DC stuff like crazy. Mostly Bat family stuff at first, and then LOSH, JSA, GL, JLA, etc.

Ever since then I've been reading and collecting books from both companies. It ebbs and flows depending on the quality of the titles, but lately I have not been buying that many Marvel comics. They completely messed up the X-men, killed off some of my favorite characters (Jean, Cyclops, Madrox) or stuffed them in limbo (the FF, Captain Britain and Meggan).

My Marvel pull list is the fewest I've ever had. I used to buy 25-30 comics every month from Marvel, but right now I think I buy around 7. This will go up in a few months when some new titles come out, but still.

My DC pull list, on the other hand, is around 20. DC has been consistently good over the last 35 years, even with some of the stuff they did in New 52 that I didn't like.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not really. Marvel has pulled too many events / stealth cancellations / and constant relaunching of books within a year or two for me to even bother with them any more. There just seems no point to it for my preferences.
    Yep. This has affected my Marvel pull list as well. How many volumes of Captain America and Avengers are there, 7, 8? It's ridiculous
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor