Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If that one issue of Gold is #30, I forsake thee. Also Extraordinary was better than Gold considering Lemire got dealt bad hands (Inhumans and Apocalypse Wars) and was a last minute replacement. You can tell he has potential from Old Man Logan. Guggs had free reign and all we got were these roast sessions.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    If that one issue of Gold is #30, I forsake thee. Also Extraordinary was better than Gold considering Lemire got dealt bad hands (Inhumans and Apocalypse Wars) and was a last minute replacement. You can tell he has potential from Old Man Logan. Guggs had free reign and all we got were these roast sessions.
    As for comparison of Gold and Extraordinary, I feel you can't really compare the two. Lemire was given a book with mandated dialogues/ideas and an overarching menacing plot that he couldn't work around. So many of the hamfisted plotpoints and dialogue can be on the editors plates. But I still think he write some characters terribly, like Storm. I mean, Jeen Grey has to teach Storm about being on the astral plan after she's been doing it forever, STFU. Whereas Guggenheim was seemingly given the "write a fun teambook that has nostalgia nods" and that was it. So anything about the book that failed in readers eyes fall on his and the editors plates combined: Guggs because he was the writer, and the editors for failing to reign him in or do their jobs.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Besides one issue of Gold, what has Gold accomplished? What is Gold's legacy??? Both Soule's Astonishing X-Men and Rosenberg's Phoenix Resurrection made huge, status quo-altering shifts in the X-universe. When Gold ends, it'll just be a footnote in history as "jeez, that was bad. anyways,". Also........besides an issue, please point to me the "poor art" that Astonishing X-Men had?
    That doesn't really matter on its own.

Not every single 36 issue book needs to have 'huge, status-quo altering shifts in the X-universe'. I would argue that's the problem they've run into in the past several years when it comes to crossovers and look at this huge, universe-affecting event we're doing across a half dozen books that you have to buy all of to know entirely what's going on or else you'll miss out! Please buy all of our books! only to have to be something like AvX, and IvX, where it was just stupid at the end.

It's okay that gold wasn't some grand event. It's not okay to hype up a wedding of the century for a bait-and-switch from the couple you've been building up for 29 issues as getting back together just to marry off a couple who reunited in a miniseries that has absolutely nothing to do with Gold. Its "legacy" will be how it duped people, which is hardly anything good to be remembered for, but welcome to marvel editors.

But Gold really should be remembered for its interpersonal relationships (given that's what the series was meant to focus on over the big bads), but it never really managed to make me (or most readers I would imagine, though that's conjecture) really feel like the X-men cared about one another. Kurt and Rachel's relationship was always sort of odd and just.. there, and Kitty and Piotr have been written together in much better ways than in Gold.