Page 14 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Did the Raiders miss Khalil Mack last night? I would think they did after getting pasted 33-13 by the Rams.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

On the side of a building in South Philly:

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Did the Raiders miss Khalil Mack last night? I would think they did after getting pasted 33-13 by the Rams.
    Might have helped them make the game closer. Probably wouldn't have helped Carr's performance though.

I remember games where Todd Bowles was DC in Arizona and the defense said they knew the calls the opposing offenses were making by the end of the first quarter, and spent the rest of the game destroying them.

From what I'm hearing, that's how the Jets handled business against Detroit last night for Bowles.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I know it's just one game, and all sorts of crazy **** almost ALWAYS happens in week one (like perpetual journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick slinging four TD's and over 400 yards on Sunday), but is Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia in over his head? I mean, he's touted as being a defensive guru, but in his last two games, his units gave up 41 points to backup Nick Foles in the Super Bowl 52 loss to the Eagles and 48 to rookie QB Sam Darnold and the New York Jets last night. The optics weren't at all good as Patricia had the classic "deer in the headlights" look on his face for stretches, and, predictably, Twitter had fun with him:

Twitter reacts to Matt Patricia looking lost in NFL head coaching debut
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-11-2018 at 03:27 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Rodgers has the highest QB rating of anyone in history.

But look, I get those who put Brady higher. I have been watching both play their whole carreers.

If I had a team, I'd want Rodgers behind the Center.

That is fine , I'll take Tom Brady who at 41 put on a performance yesterday and really played with no WR that has ever had 700 yards receiving in a season , yet somehow wins games with that. Also the fact Brady takes his team to the AFC Championship consistently and Super Bowl. Nothing against Rodgers , he had a great comeback . But Brady does it constantly. Its became so common place , we forget Brady rallied his team in a Super Bowl 2-3 years ago and scored 28 points to win that.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    Might have helped them make the game closer. Probably wouldn't have helped Carr's performance though.
    I would say those INTs were more of a hindrance than the defense.

The defense did fine the first half, they did have a couple of bone head "didn't turn the head so its PI" penalties that gave the rams a boat load of yars but they were solid despite the lack of a pass rush.

But then something got in Derek's head (Im leaning toward himself) in the second half and he was utter crap. Only attempting 5 yard outs to RBs, which were dropped a lot, and just throwing them away. It was a pathetic second half for him.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Several more tidbits about Week #1

- Adrian Peterson who is making a big comeback again , scored his 100th rushing TD of his career this past week.

- All 7 new coaches lost in week #1. The 1st time its happened since 2001 when the 6 new coaches all lost in week #1.

- According to what was detailed , the Rams saw that Carr and the Raiders were not challenging the CB's on the team and just throwing towards the TE/RB. The Rams came back from the half and took away the TE and the Raiders could not adjust from it.

- Detroit having its signals called out offensively actually happened 3 years ago in 2015. The players claim that when that happened opposing players told them that they knew what was being called. 3 years later this happened again.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Goff had practically no pressure the entire night, he could have started a campfire and cooked up s'mores back there. Hell yes they missed Khalil Mack. Poor, poor start for Gruden. They made absolutely no adjustments at halftime, but the Rams did and that was the difference.

Carr did blow it, which was perplexing. I mean, it was a simple zone defense. Was it the pass rush of the Rams rattling him? Raiders just deflated sadly throughout that second half, no one had an answer. It is the Rams, and they are a legit team for certain, but still a very bad look there

Meanwhile, welcome to exile Matt Patricia! At least you will always have the beard
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-11-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Goff had practically no pressure the entire night, he could have started a campfire and cooked up s'mores back there. Hell yes they missed Khalil Mack. Poor, poor start for Gruden. They made absolutely no adjustments at halftime, but the Rams did and that was the difference.

Carr did blow it, which was perplexing. I mean, it was a simple zone defense. Was it the pass rush of the Rams rattling him?

Meanwhile, welcome to exile Matt Patricia! At least you will always have the beard

To me it was all 3.

- Gruden's game plan : Chucky is an offensive coach but he clearly did not want Carr to challenge Peters or the other CB. So he decided to concentrate on Cook (TE) and the RB's. Which worked awhile in the 1st half. Its just Gruden once Wade Phillips diagnosed this decided to not change things.

- Carr's nerves perhaps are getting to him. Gruden has a history of falling in love with QB's and falling outta love just as fast. Carr likely was nervous to make a great impression on Gruden and tried too hard. Which happens.

- The Rams defense is very damn good. Its loaded folks. They have Peters and others there. Teams are gonna struggle against them.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    - Detroit having its signals called out offensively actually happened 3 years ago in 2015. The players claim that when that happened opposing players told them that they knew what was being called. 3 years later this happened again.
    Stafford needs to learn more signal calls, he keeps using the same ones. This is the 5th game that's happened to him.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

Carr did blow it, which was perplexing. I mean, it was a simple zone defense. Was it the pass rush of the Rams rattling him? Raiders just deflated sadly throughout that second half, no one had an answer. It is the Rams, and they are a legit team for certain, but still a very bad look there
    The first INT which was bad, was only slightly under thrown and the DB made a nice play on it. Derek normally makes that pass.

The second INT was the game changer, I have no idea what he was thinking other than he was like Ricky Bobby afraid of the invisible fire. The Pick Six was in garbage time so in ways it didn't matter that much, but by then Derek was in his own head

To me it was all 3.

- Gruden's game plan : Chucky is an offensive coach but he clearly did not want Carr to challenge Peters or the other CB. So he decided to concentrate on Cook (TE) and the RB's. Which worked awhile in the 1st half. Its just Gruden once Wade Phillips diagnosed this decided to not change things.

- Carr's nerves perhaps are getting to him. Gruden has a history of falling in love with QB's and falling outta love just as fast. Carr likely was nervous to make a great impression on Gruden and tried too hard. Which happens. .
    Gruden's game plan worked the first half but when they moved Talib to the TE it should have opened up Nelson or Cooper...but Carr was never passing vertically it was check downs the RB who dropped it several time.

To me it was more Carr than Gruden. And the poor D is going to get the blame because while sure they didn't have much of a pass rush, they made a fair amount of plays though they did have a couple of bonehead PIs. (ITS NOT HARD TO TURN YOUR HEAD!)
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Stafford needs to learn more signal calls, he keeps using the same ones. This is the 5th game that's happened to him.
    Its said the offensive coordinator and Stafford are close but he's coming under fire due to lack of good playcalling at times. Like the Lions literally have no ground game in the last few years and the redzone offense is terrible. There was talk he'd be removed but Patricia kept him due to the friendship he has with Stafford.

Its said the offensive coordinator and Stafford are close but he's coming under fire due to lack of good playcalling at times. Like the Lions literally have no ground game in the last few years and the redzone offense is terrible. There was talk he'd be removed but Patricia kept him due to the friendship he has with Stafford.
    Really? I'm surprised. You'd think that after all those years spent in the tutelage of Darth Hoodie, Patricia would've learned that friendship is meaningless and winning is everything. As for the Lions' offensive coordinator, somebody named Jim Bob Cooter should be driving stock cars on a dirt tracks down in Alabama on Saturday nights, not coaching in the NFL. If the offense continues to spin it's wheels like it did last night, Patricia might have no choice but to can ol' Jim Bob.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-11-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Lions made 39 yards rushing - as a team. Thats pathetic. Their ground game does suck. But also 5 interceptions. Thats on Stafford and the Beard. I can see two INTs happening and then you change things up, but 5? You have to make adjustments well before that happens to prevent it from happening again.

That game gave me more respect for Belichick, darn it
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.