BANNED

Default Steve Lieber To Contribute To ASM#6

Spencer getting the Superior Foes brotherhood back together

https://www.newsarama.com/41641-supe...pider-man.html

Astonishing Member

You. Superior Foes was such a well done funny book.

Looking forward to this.

I don't recall another major run following up on an obscure title, but all that matters is the quality of the results.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't recall another major run following up on an obscure title, but all that matters is the quality of the results.
    What about when Slott devoted some pages of ASM to following up on Mayday's life when the time came to tie in to Spiderverse?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    What about when Slott devoted some pages of ASM to following up on Mayday's life when the time came to tie in to Spiderverse?
    Would Bendis using several issues of New Avengers to follow up Alias/The Pulse also count?

Superior Foes was one of the most suprisingly awesome titles in recent memory for me. Its up there my personal "top 10" of the past 5 years easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Superior Foes was one of the most suprisingly awesome titles in recent memory for me. Its up there my personal "top 10" of the past 5 years easily.
    My top five. Right up there with Spencer's Ant-Man and Hopeless' Spider-Woman. Always been a fan of B villains. Looking forward to the interaction between Spidey and Janice Lincoln the Beetle. Spencer must have a soft spot for B villains as well.

Spencer's list of B villains he has utilized. SFOS- Boomerang, Beetle, Shocker, Speed Demon, Overdrive. Ant-Man- Grizzly, Machinesmith, Beetle, Porcupine, Whirlwind, Voice, Hijacker, Magician. Plus all the characters that were in villains anonymous. That's quite a few obscure and underused characters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    My top five. Right up there with Spencer's Ant-Man and Hopeless' Spider-Woman. Always been a fan of B villains. Looking forward to the interaction between Spidey and Janice Lincoln the Beetle. Spencer must have a soft spot for B villains as well.

Spencer's list of B villains he has utilized. SFOS- Boomerang, Beetle, Shocker, Speed Demon, Overdrive. Ant-Man- Grizzly, Machinesmith, Beetle, Porcupine, Whirlwind, Voice, Hijacker, Magician. Plus all the characters that were in villains anonymous. That's quite a few obscure and underused characters.
    We have very similar tastes! I loved all of those books. I'm hoping Hopeless gets announced for a new Marvel book soon, I have liked every single thing he has done. Maybe Miles? Although I think they will go for someone more high profile. Do you like "The Fix" by Spencer? It's very similar in tone to "Superior Foes" (you probably already know that, but I never miss a chance to recommend "The Fix").

I am beyond happy for this announcement. I would love if this whole volume of Amazing was just a stealth relaunch of Superior Foes. That's how much I miss that book. There has never been a Marvel book like it imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    We have very similar tastes! I loved all of those books. I'm hoping Hopeless gets announced for a new Marvel book soon, I have liked every single thing he has done. Maybe Miles? Although I think they will go for someone more high profile. Do you like "The Fix" by Spencer? It's very similar in tone to "Superior Foes" (you probably already know that, but I never miss a chance to recommend "The Fix").

I am beyond happy for this announcement. I would love if this whole volume of Amazing was just a stealth relaunch of Superior Foes. That's how much I miss that book. There has never been a Marvel book like it imo.
    I am not aware of The Fix. I will have to check it out. As for high profile? Screw that. Hopeless did a fantastic job with Spider-Woman. He made her pregnancy and subsequent birth of Gerry work marvelously. Because of that he was able to build on Roger Gocking the Porcupines character. He took a D List hardly used villain and turned him into a bona fide superhero. Great characterization. He could have spun Roger into a mini-series. I would buy anything that Hopeless writes. I would like to see him write another Spider-Woman ongoing. At least a limited one. I think he would be great for Miles as well. That could launch him into high profile status.

As for another SFOS? Just maybe this next arc could launch them into another ongoing. I kind of hope they stick around awhile in ASM and then get a relaunch. That would really be cool.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    Mine too and in my top 10 Spider-Man comic book stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I was thinking more in the context of a writer building on their own earlier work. It's happened before on Spidey (Stern referencing Cobra and Hyde's appearances in his Captain America run) although typically with bigger titles (in termsof sales) than Superior Foes.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Would Bendis using several issues of New Avengers to follow up Alias/The Pulse also count?
    That's fair. There was a cliffhhanger in an early New Avengers built on Luke Cage's familiarity with Purple Man from Alias.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    I am not aware of The Fix. I will have to check it out. As for high profile? Screw that. Hopeless did a fantastic job with Spider-Woman. He made her pregnancy and subsequent birth of Gerry work marvelously. Because of that he was able to build on Roger Gocking the Porcupines character. He took a D List hardly used villain and turned him into a bona fide superhero. Great characterization. He could have spun Roger into a mini-series. I would buy anything that Hopeless writes. I would like to see him write another Spider-Woman ongoing. At least a limited one. I think he would be great for Miles as well. That could launch him into high profile status.

As for another SFOS? Just maybe this next arc could launch them into another ongoing. I kind of hope they stick around awhile in ASM and then get a relaunch. That would really be cool.
    Check it out! It is very much a sort of spiritual successor to SFOS, without the powers.

I think Hopeless would do a GREAT job on Miles, I was just speculating that Marvel is likely to go with a bigger name or someone outside of comics for the relaunch. It wouldn't be my choice but that's what I see happening. I agree that one of his and Spencer's greatest strengths is making D list characters interesting and engaging. Hopeless did it fantastically with "Avengers Arena". He took a concept that isn't very original, and a group of original and second string characters (except Laura) and made that book so immersive and suspenseful. I agree with all of your Spider-Woman thoughts, too.

Fingers crossed for the Superior Foes new volume. I'm trying to not get too excited but it's hard not to connect the dots we've gotten so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's fair. There was a cliffhhanger in an early New Avengers built on Luke Cage's familiarity with Purple Man from Alias.
    And that's one of the more minor examples. The biggest one I would use is how they had their wedding in the first Annual, and then their relationship and dealing with the baby became a B-plot for pretty much the rest of the series, even getting some Michael Gaydos issues thrown in the mix.