Default The Wonder Woman villains post-Flashpoint

The discussion over on the thread about Giganta led me to do some statistics with the help of the DC wikia for Wonder Woman post-Flashpoint.

Villain Occurences Mainline Notes
    Ares 29 26
    Cheetah 63 23 Includes appearances as Barbara Ann Minerva
    Circe 16 2
    Blue Snowman 2 1
    Eviless 1 0 As Saturna
    Giganta 32 3 Only as support or in visions in mainline
    Zara 1 1
    Doctor Psycho 18 0
    Angelo Bend 6 0
    Phobos & Deimos 10 10
    Eris 28 23
    Doctor Cyber 13 13
    Egg Fu 52 0 Now associated with Harley Quinn
    Nikos Aegeus 8 6
    Tezcatlipoca 2 2
    Hades 14 11
    Medusa 5 0 Now associated with Batwoman
    Queen of Fables 5 0
    Silver Swan 3 3
    Veronica Cale 17 16
    Doctor Poison (1) 1 1 Mad scientist
    Doctor Poison (2) 8 7 Reduced to mundane mercenary
    Apollo 24 19
    First Born 27 25
    Derinoe 5 5 Old insane Amazon
    Hecate 5 4
    Grail 26 12
    Mayfly 3 3

Mainline is here defined as the Wonder Woman title and annual. Occurences include every other DC title, including Sensation Comics, team-ups and one-shots.

Sure looks like a lot of villains. But several of them have only appeared outside of the main Wonder Woman titles or storylines, and among the non-mythic villains (i.e. not connected with Greek mythology or Themyscira), only Cheetah, Veronica Cale, and Doctor Cyber has had significant presence in the mainline (all by Rucka).

Orlando has been working on developing classic villains in his run, but his run has been very brief. But neither Azzarello, Robinson, nor Finch have done much to explore or develop Wonder Woman's rogue's gallery outside of the Greek mythology. And villains like Giganta and Doctor Psycho are obviously appealing, given the way that other writers pick them up. (Egg Fu is no great loss, given his deeply racist origin.)

Im pretty sure Adjudicator appeared in Orlandos Justice League run

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Im pretty sure Adjudicator appeared in Orlandos Justice League run

That's correct. He appeared in the story where Batman and Black Canary traveled to The Extremists' earth to stop Lord Havoc.

There's also Anglette who appeared briefly in Robinson's run but who knows if she'll ever appear again and Mouse Man who was revamped as Mauschen in the Steve Trevor/A.R.G.U.S. mini-series that occurred during Forever Evil.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yeah, there obviously are holes and omissions in my statistics. My method was to hit the list of Wonder Woman villains DC Wikia, and some were not listed there, like Doctor Poison as used by Finch, Hecate, or Derinoe.

But to me it's pretty clear that the only writers who have attempted to connect Wonder Woman to her old villains from Man's World and develop them are Rucka and Orlando. I really hope that Wilson takes her cue from Orlando and just buries all the Greek mythology villains for a year or two. Doctor Psycho and Giganta are both popular villains, and should be firmly under Diana's thumb. And Doctor Poison (the mad scientist one) got a good boost from being in the movie, and could be used so much more.

Going that way also means you can bury the Daddy-Zeus thing, before finally putting a stake in it.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, there obviously are holes and omissions in my statistics. My method was to hit the list of Wonder Woman villains DC Wikia, and some were not listed there, like Doctor Poison as used by Finch, Hecate, or Derinoe.
    Oh certainly, I was just mentioning it for the sake of helping you to make a more concise list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Oh certainly, I was just mentioning it for the sake of helping you to make a more concise list.
    For what it's worth, for me the list was a means to and end, not an end to itself.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

But to me it's pretty clear that the only writers who have attempted to connect Wonder Woman to her old villains from Man's World and develop them are Rucka and Orlando. I really hope that Wilson takes her cue from Orlando and just buries all the Greek mythology villains for a year or two. Doctor Psycho and Giganta are both popular villains, and should be firmly under Diana's thumb. And Doctor Poison (the mad scientist one) got a good boost from being in the movie, and could be used so much more.

Going that way also means you can bury the Daddy-Zeus thing, before finally putting a stake in it.

I totally agree. I would also like to see the public domain/mythological villains retired for a few years so characters like Giganta, Queen Clea, and Dr. Psycho can get some major development. These 3 have been left on the back burner for too long.

I *think* Robinson wanted to do more with Diana's villains(as evidenced by his revival of Anglette(Angle Man), Blue Snowman, Silver Swan, and Zara but something tells me DC mandated him to do the Jason and Dark Gods(for the Metal boost) stories and then he ran out of time and moved onto something else. I wonder what James' run would have been like with more time or with being allowed to write whatever stories he wanted instead of tying up the Jason story and doing the Metal tie-in.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I totally agree. I would also like to see the public domain/mythological villains retired for a few years so characters like Giganta, Queen Clea, and Dr. Psycho can get some major development. These 3 have been left on the back burner for too long.

I *think* Robinson wanted to do more with Diana's villains(as evidenced by his revival of Anglette(Angle Man), Blue Snowman, Silver Swan, and Zara but something tells me DC mandated him to do the Jason and Dark Gods(for the Metal boost) stories and then he ran out of time and moved onto something else. I wonder what James' run would have been like with more time or with being allowed to write whatever stories he wanted instead of tying up the Jason story and doing the Metal tie-in.
    Im skeptical that Robinson had any such plans. Keep in mind that in his single use of Blue Snowman he established that Wonder Woman turned her into a human vegetable and that Zara was in a coma after Wonder Woman bashed her head in. The entire point of it seemed to be an effort to establish that Veronica Cale was evil. As for Silver Swan, if that was an attempt to make use of one of Wonder Womans rogues he failed spectacularly.

On the other hand, Robinson had 20 issues and the annual to work with. Even if he was editorially mandated to include Jason and Daddy-Zeus and the Metal buildup, few here seems to have liked his more traditional arcs that much either, or thought he developed the legacy villains in any meaningful way.

While I didn't love Robinson's run, I liked that he was getting the members of Villainy, Inc. back into continuity and was hoping that was leading to a Villainy, Inc. arc.

A future writer could still pick up on that, since several of the more obscure characters like Blue Snowman have at least been introduced.