Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why does everyone hate Aaron’s Wolverine and the X-men comic?

Like can somebody explain this to me I personally loved it like it showed the daily lives of the students and staff at the institute doing fun and unique things like when Beast took the students on a field trip through Toad’s body. Like what the hell I thought that was so awesome... (granted this was my first comic book series I’ve ever read so I guess I’m bias)

BANNED

It was fine until he wouldn’t let go of the new Hellfire kids.

Man, this is going to be a harsh thread.

It came from Schism, that already put it in a rough place, it's mostly a comedic book centered in the students than no one found particurlary interesting, it has tons of one-note or just very OCC characterizations with certain X-Men and just a lot of it doesn't make sense in continuity, oh it also has Wolverine in the title who after Schism wasn't exactly liked by most of the fanbase after his hypocrisy and how that continued over the title. Not mentioning the inherent ridiculousness of Logan opening a school, witch to be fair the book treated in a comedic way.

Speaking for me, personally i didn't mind the tone of the book or even Logan's hypocrisy, but the book lost steam after the first arc (thought issue #17 was amazing lol) and i didn't like how they tried to make Wolverine as the the morally superior in the argument all the time (plus his holier than thou attitude), that just strip him of any complexity and nuance, but that has more to do with how poorly he has been written generally after 2011 and how he has been neutered post-House of M.
    Last edited by TheCape; 09-02-2018 at 02:28 PM.

I liked it because it was lighthearted and fun to read! It was cool to see Wolverine as headmaster and I loved how it focused on the school and the students' lives...but most of the stories were kind of forgettable. Some issues were just bad (like when they had the weird circus), and the transition once Wolverine died just didn't work for me because the tone of the book just wasn't right for dealing with the death of a major character.

I think people disliked it because they might have thought they were getting a Wolverine book and got something about the students instead. And the lack of good stories might have been frustrating to some.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

TheCape does well explaining bigger issues. So a personal fan issue for me was this.
    Kiss with Mystique.jpg
    Something we didn't need. Now we can't get rid of it. Something else that's ruined Sabretooth's character in the last 15 years.

Never-mind the fact they hated each other in the 90's when they were first introduced together.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 09-01-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    It was fine until he wouldn’t let go of the new Hellfire kids.
    Man, those brats were annoying.

Just speaking for myself:

1. I absolutely hated the Hellfire Club kids. More than any villains in recent memory.
    2. I can't stand Quentin Quire.
    3. Aaron favoring his own students over the existing student body, excluding Idie. I realize that most writers put their own stamp on things with their own creations, and that's fine, but I just couldn't get behind most of them.
    4. Something about it felt a bit too juvenile overall, more than other comics with teen casts.
    5. The Toad and Husk subplot was strange.

BANNED

Oh I forgot the Toad/ Husk thing. Way to run a great character (Husk).

Although, Aaron wasnt the first in that regard.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Man, this is going to be a harsh thread.

It came from Schism, that already put it in a rougth place, it's mostly a comedic book centered in the students than no one found particurlary interesting, it has tons of one-note or just very OCC charactherizations with certain X-Men and just a lot of it doesn't make sense in continuity, oh it also has Wolverine in the title who after Schism wasn't exactly liked by most of the fanbase after his hipocresy and how that continued over the title. Not mentioning the inherent ridicoulness of Logan opening an school, wicht to be fair the book treated in a comedic way.

Speaking for me, personally i didn't mind the tone of the book or even Logan's hipocresy, but the book lost steam after the first arc (thougth issue #17 was amazing lol) and i didn't like how they tried to make Wolverine as the the morally superior in the argument all the time (plus his hollier than thou attitude), that just strip him of any complexity and nuance, but that has more to do with how poorly he has been written generally after 2011 and how he has been neutered post-House of M.
    Ohhhh I thought ppl liked schism (granted I like seeing my X-men as one unit) so I can see why ppl hated it but isn’t it growth for Logan’s character to quit the X-force gig and start a foundation for the “X-men of tomorrow”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Man, those brats were annoying.
    That is very true although I feel like Kade still has a lot of potential

Quote Originally Posted by angrt1 View Post
    Ohhhh I thought ppl liked schism (granted I like seeing my X-men as one unit) so I can see why ppl hated it but isn’t it growth for Logan’s character to quit the X-force gig and start a foundation for the “X-men of tomorrow”
    No Schism isn't very liked in general. As for being growth for Logan characther, to an extent it was after horrible stuff that he went througth Post-House of M (and most of that has to do with children dying or being turned into weapons) it made sense that he didn't want to work with then in the field anymore, but the way that it was executed was just bad and poorly explained.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

The only thing i didn't like were the hellfire kids.
    I actually really like Quire and enjoyed him in this, i suppose some of the hate comes from the schism between Cyclops and Wolverine in that era that could cause some division in the fanbase.

Astonishing Member

I loved it. One of my favorite X-Men runs around.

Of course, a lot of that had to do with my own personal tastes and journey through comics. You see, when I get particularly fed up with any concept in superhero comics, pretty much the only thing that can bring me back is the silliest damn take that can still be regarded as canon. And that's pretty much where I was regarding the "mutant school/teen X-Men" concept. I'd liked New X-Men: Academy X until M-Day when they killed off or depowered a bunch of the ones I liked and replaced them with ones I didn't like or didn't know. Then I read Young X-Men which was just average at best. And I was pretty much done until someone suggested I try Wolverine and the X-Men. And what do you know, I loved it. I loved that they embraced all the cross-genre weirdness in the X-Men's world. I loved the humor and how they tackled the notion that maybe the X-Men aren't completely cut out to run a school. I loved Broo, who was an adorable brainy little thing. I loved Kid Gladiator, who I thought was a terrific send-up of the '90s version of Superboy. I loved Quentin Quire who got changed from a one-note Morrison villain to, oddly enough, kind of the X-Men's version of Daffy Duck (anarchic, but also pathetic). I really loved that the creepy circus storyline brought back my favorite Marvel '70s horror character: Frankenstein's monster. I didn't love every little bit (the Husk/Toad plot, for example), but I loved enough that it seriously worked for me.

That's just me, though. There's a possibility that Wolverine and the X-Men was just uniquely suited to my own personal tastes.

I thought it started off strong, it was nice to have a more light hearted book after seeing the X-Men put through so much suffering. (I actually liked seeing Kitty and Logan try to get the school accredited among a bunch of crazy mutant shenanigans.) My only problem was that as it went on it just became TOO ridiculous at all times. They also should have used more mutants from Wolverine's side of the schism (Rogue for example) as opposed to the constant focus on the new students. (Eyeboy, ugh.) The Rachel-centric AvX opt-in issue for example was really good. (Much better than the Bendis take of the same series of events in Avengers.)

I also hate Quentin Quire.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Oh I forgot the Toad/ Husk thing. Way to run a great character (Husk).

Although, Aaron wasnt the first in that regard.
    Really, this is what ruined Husk, she who had sex with Warren right in front of her team and her parents.