All-New Member

Default Toy Comics, Who wants to play?

Did any of you guys out there read Toy Comics in your youth?

Although I mainly got into comics in adulthood, via the collected editions, some of my fondest childhood memories are of reading my old (as in 2nd hand) 'Transformers' and 'MASK' Annuals which were published by Marvel in the 1980s and were indeed my first ever 'grown up' (as in the drawing were realistic looking and people died) comics.

Later when the whole nostalgia boom got round to producing merchandise about 1980s media (eg 'Danger Mouse' DVD's and the like) I lapped up all the cartoons, toys and comics I missed the first time around.

Firstly I got into the G1 'Transformers' reprints from Titan Books (I now have the somewhat more complete IDW reprints as well) and I loved them as it was well worth the 15yr+ wait.

Somewhat later I got into the 'GI Joe' reprints, but I could only find the first two volumes in my local comic store although I have since found some torrents of the full series, along with the yearbooks and the Special Missions Issues and so I will get round to reading them when I get the chance.

I've also downloaded 'Shogun Warriors' and 'Micronauts' and will get round to reading them when I've read more of my ever swelling backlog of comics.

The reason why I made this post was because it was thanks to those underrated gems that I got into comics in the first place, and I was wondering of any of you out there had a memories to share or even recommendations for me.

Cheers

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Plenty of `em.
    Mainstays were G.I. Joe and Transformers. I followed the TF series up thru G2 Marvel series. G.I. Joe was harder to stay in touch with after the Saw Viper killings. I dropped it completely when it was pretty much "SNAKE-EYES starring G.I. Joe". In the mid 90's, I sadly traded in both collections to my LCS for literally $20. I've since been able to re-buy both in floppies and the IDW tpbs.
    Some of the others were the Star Comics He-Man series...but yeeeeeecchhh, was that hokey...until the final few issues where it got really serious (and expensive!). Thundercats had some promise, but it pretty much turned into an adaption of the TV show.
    I've been able to pick up Sectaurs, Starriors, MASK, and one other, it was like a Starriors wannabe, but I'm blanking on the name.

Micronauts was one of my all time favorite comics, and I have most of the Rom series, and all of Shogun Warriors. I only have a few GI Joes and Transformers. I guess they came around as I was losing interest in toy comics.

Quote Originally Posted by McFarlane's Green Hulk View Post
    Plenty of `em.
    Mainstays were G.I. Joe and Transformers. I followed the TF series up thru G2 Marvel series. G.I. Joe was harder to stay in touch with after the Saw Viper killings. I dropped it completely when it was pretty much "SNAKE-EYES starring G.I. Joe". In the mid 90's, I sadly traded in both collections to my LCS for literally $20. I've since been able to re-buy both in floppies and the IDW tpbs.
    Some of the others were the Star Comics He-Man series...but yeeeeeecchhh, was that hokey...until the final few issues where it got really serious (and expensive!). Thundercats had some promise, but it pretty much turned into an adaption of the TV show.
    I've been able to pick up Sectaurs, Starriors, MASK, and one other, it was like a Starriors wannabe, but I'm blanking on the name.
    Almost the same as me - followed TF and Joe except I ended earlier than you (I'm probably a few years older than you). I also got some He-Man and Thundercats, but nothing compared to TF and Joe, at least for me. i missed out on the bulk of the Micronauts and ROM, though.

I've gotten all the G.I.Joe IDW HCs that are reprinting all the Marvel and IDW comics. Kinda like their own version of Marvel Masterworks. They're high quality books, and the material (especially the Marvel reprinted stuff) is just as awesome as I remember it.

I'm tempted to get the IDW TF reprints that reprint the Marvel series, but they're in TPB, and I'd prefer HCs. I might just wait and see if they put them in the HC route someday, although by this time, probably unlikely.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Almost the same as me - followed TF and Joe except I ended earlier than you (I'm probably a few years older than you). I also got some He-Man and Thundercats, but nothing compared to TF and Joe, at least for me. i missed out on the bulk of the Micronauts and ROM, though.

I've gotten all the G.I.Joe IDW HCs that are reprinting all the Marvel and IDW comics. Kinda like their own version of Marvel Masterworks. They're high quality books, and the material (especially the Marvel reprinted stuff) is just as awesome as I remember it.

I'm tempted to get the IDW TF reprints that reprint the Marvel series, but they're in TPB, and I'd prefer HCs. I might just wait and see if they put them in the HC route someday, although by this time, probably unlikely.
    I'm 38, going to be 39 this fall. G.I. Joe and TF were my youth. I am loving the IDW Complete Collections on the classic Joe material, finally get "Hot Potato" reprinted! Little disappointed on the TF reprints...but hey -- Soundwave is blue this time!
    I didn't start getting Mirconauts or Rom until about 10 years ago. I was able to get all of the Marvel series for a $1 a piece -- even issue #1! Rom was a warehouse cleanout from an LCS that was changing owners. For $20, you could walk in with a long box and grab whatever you could get. Over the course of several weeks, I walked out with several long boxes worth of comics.

Fantastic Member

Loved Micronausts had a wack of the toys but sadly got miss placed in a move . But still have my battle star galactica toys and game . DSC00508.JPGDSC00514.jpg Here is a picture of them .

Quote Originally Posted by John Keyt View Post
    Loved Micronausts had a wack of the toys but sadly got miss placed in a move . But still have my battle star galactica toys and game . DSC00508.JPGDSC00514.jpg Here is a picture of them .
    That's awesome! A shame about the Micronauts, though. My dad threw all mine out a long time ago, and I recently bought a couple on ebay. I remember having Space: 1999 toys and that little robot from The Black Hole. Yup, my dad threw those out, also.

Incredible Member

Yep that's how I started taking comic collecting seriously, my first comic was Marve's Transformers #6 that had Megatron and Shockwave on the cover, that comic went throught the ringer so many times, (cover coming loose and stapling it back together) LOL!

And with that I got from Toys'R'Us one of those comic bags that had three G.I.Joe comics for 1 dollar, and tha followed with a really cool friend from grade school that gave me more G.I.Joe comics and that's how I started amassing my collection.

Currently now with my 29 years of collecting I've managed to complete both the G.I.Joe and Transformers comics from Marvel, those are my prized collections that I have stored in long boxes while I can still enjoy them via the new IDW reprint trades.

Of course along the way I managed to snag comics from other toy properties that were a requisite in the 80's like He-Man, M.A.S.K., Inhumanoids, Silverhawks, Defenders Of The Earth, Robotech.

I had just about every issue of ROM, great artwork and good stories, I bought the first few issues of Micronauts. My friend collected GIJOE so I would just read his, but it had a great run.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by day_walker View Post
    That's awesome! A shame about the Micronauts, though. My dad threw all mine out a long time ago, and I recently bought a couple on ebay. I remember having Space: 1999 toys and that little robot from The Black Hole. Yup, my dad threw those out, also.
    Nice day_walker , I recently picked up a couple of mattel plastic figure from the early 70's , one's that I had when I was a kid . Brought back a few memories . I often watch ebay and some of the micronauts toys are pricey . My son moved out a few years back and we keep alot of his toys and have bagged and boxed them up . So one day in the future he will have them .