Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Maybe not the best moment of the movie (there are many such), but definitely the most Wonder Woman moment of the movie:

Attachment 70331

"No Charlie, who will sing for us?"
    That scene really bugs me. He's clearly got PTS and shouldn't be on the frontline but she's convinces him to change his mind and stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Pretty sure both involve the Joker? Essentially, she was created to be his female partner/counterpart in the cartoons, so they added her to the comics (if I remember correctly)

I admit to not being a huge fan, but didn't he manipulate her into becoming Harley *and* wasn't he the one to toss her in the vat? Or am I confusing the SS movie origin?
    That's close to the origin but she was created for a one off gag where the other that the henchmen found her funnier than The Joker rather than an intentional female Joker. Paul Dini and the other writers really liked her so they kept using her until she become a more fleshed out character. Both in the comics and cartoon she has spent a lot of time trying to break away from The Joker, it's the constant fan shipping that seems to make people think they are always a couple/sidekick.

I was curious if you were referring to the new 52 origin from Death of The Family so that she was just a long line of attempts of Joker making a Harley Quinn and she was the only one that survived.
    Last edited by jump; 09-04-2018 at 08:24 AM.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    That scene really bugs me. He's clearly got PTS and shouldn't be on the frontline but she's convinces him to change his mind and stay.
    I see this from both sides - Charlie clearly wants to help but doesn't know how. He has PTSD from his work as a sniper. It's assassination without knowing the target or, more importantly, the cause.

Diana gives him that cause - she gives him something to believe in and never once asks him to shoot anyone to help out.

By telling him she wants him to come and sing for them, she's giving him value to helping save lives without murdering anyone. I always saw this as a step towards Charlie's healing and making up for his past.

Back when I received some training on combat stress and fatigue (though it was a long time ago), one thing that was stressed was that friendship and community was one of the best ways to both preempt and treat combat fatigue, especially in the early stages.

Another big factor here is also that Charlie is a victim of a narrow view of masculinity and value. He only can see his value in this group, and as a human being, in his role as a soldier. If he can't be a solder, he is worthless. Diana directly contradicts that, and says that he is still valued by her, and that his value to her is completely independent of him being a soldier, also emphasised by that she considered him more murderer than soldier earlier. She helps Charlie find himself again through her friendship and giving him a new and different view of masculinity.

Sure, it's a movie treatment of PTSD, but it felt true. Just as the the No Man's Land scene was a movie treatment of the First World War, but it felt true.

That's close to the origin but she was created for a one off gag where the other that the henchmen found her funnier than The Joker rather than an intentional female Joker. Paul Dini and the other writers really liked her so they kept using her until she become a more fleshed out character. Both in the comics and cartoon she has spent a lot of time trying to break away from The Joker, it's the constant fan shipping that seems to make people think they are always a couple/sidekick.
    No matter if it's true or not, Harley Quinn being intended as a one-off gag character is a joke that should be true.

Anyway, my impression from the Harley Quinn stories I've read is that she spends much of her time with the Joker to try to break away from him, and much of the time apart from the Joker in trying to get back to him.

No matter if it's true or not, Harley Quinn being intended as a one-off gag character is a joke that should be true.

Anyway, my impression from the Harley Quinn stories I've read is that she spends much of her time with the Joker to try to break away from him, and much of the time apart from the Joker in trying to get back to him.
    Not from any of her solo runs from the pre-52, new 52 or Rebirth, Secret Six and Gotham City Sirens. There was a very brief spell in Suicide Squad where she was like that for an odd issue but she quickly moved on. It's one of the go-tos for a new writer of Harley to go back to Joker. At this point she's more linked to Poison Ivy than Joker in the comics.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Not from any of her solo runs from the pre-52, new 52 or Rebirth, Secret Six and Gotham City Sirens. There was a very brief spell in Suicide Squad where she was like that for an odd issue but she quickly moved on. It's one of the go-tos for a new writer of Harley to go back to Joker. At this point she's more linked to Poison Ivy than Joker in the comics.
    I'd say that Harley Quinn's relationship with the Joker was one of the main drivers in Gotham City Sirens, both for external plot and in Harley Quinn's relationship with both Poison Ivy and Catwoman. She might have spent more frames together with Poison Ivy, but when it comes to plot, the Joker–Harley relationship is far more important.

It might be different in the Harley Quinn solo, where she is more about happy, fun violence and breaking the fourth wall, but there she is primarily a gag character.

(And imagine spending the Wonder Woman appreciation thread arguing about Harley Quinn )

I'd say that Harley Quinn's relationship with the Joker was one of the main drivers in Gotham City Sirens, both for external plot and in Harley Quinn's relationship with both Poison Ivy and Catwoman. She might have spent more frames together with Poison Ivy, but when it comes to plot, the Joker–Harley relationship is far more important.

It might be different in the Harley Quinn solo, where she is more about happy, fun violence and breaking the fourth wall, but there she is primarily a gag character.

(And imagine spending the Wonder Woman appreciation thread arguing about Harley Quinn )
    Yeah, we need to bring this thread back to Diana, please
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Maybe a bit too much jewelry standing in for the bracelets, but otherwise I approve of Deepica Mutyala's Wonder Woman cosplay

deepica-ww-cosplay.jpg

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Maybe a bit too much jewelry standing in for the bracelets, but otherwise I approve of Deepica Mutyala's Wonder Woman cosplay

deepica-ww-cosplay.jpg
    That's fantastic and original.

What has been your favorite Wonder Woman modern. Honestly when she got her movie . Has Diana made impact on comic market?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What has been your favorite Wonder Woman modern. Honestly when she got her movie . Has Diana made impact on comic market?
    Hardly. DC didn't really do much for her in the comics beyond the Nightwing writer doing a surprisingly excellent Steve Trevor one shot that really made me wish he did a full on series with the goof.

As for modern favorites, I really liked the recent Orlando issue with Mayfly. The Legend of Wonder Woman was a delight. Simones 'making a wonder woman movie' was nice. I enjoyed 'JLA league of one' Jiminez did some interesting stuff.

Also I liked this design for the island
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T...a-floating.jpg

Preview for the upcoming issue
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...onder-woman-54
    If this world building for the Bana sticks, it sets up some interesting possibilities for the Bana.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Preview for the upcoming issue
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...onder-woman-54
    If this world building for the Bana sticks, it sets up some interesting possibilities for the Bana.
    God, I'd like this creative team to stay longer.

Cosplaying Wonder Woman from Bombshells:

wonder_woman__by_xenia1369-d8axbb5.jpg

I want to pick up ww again, what was the last issue that Ruckas made? I want to skip his stuff.

Nom I found it, I missed so much