View Poll Results: Chris Claremont's next X-project should be...

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • A core X-Men book as solo writer

26 26.00%
  • Weekly Uncanny X-Men together with another 2/3 writers

11 11.00%
  • A satellite X-book

27 27.00%
  • A solo character X-book

19 19.00%
  • An out of continuity or disconnected book

30 30.00%
  • Other

21 21.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I hadn’t really considered it before, but a Claremont book focusing on New Mutants generation adventures might be a ton of fun. There’s a mess of characters to play with, a million concepts to explore, and there’s a huge divide between the X-Men proper and NM that’s really only ever overlapped in books like X-Factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I'm totally up for it. A solo series for Maddie, fekt yeah!
    Madelyne vs the Goblin Queen vs Anodyne, all struggling for control.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Extraordinary Member

Every time this comes up I say that I want to see Claremont write a team book featuring all the non-mutant Marvel women he liked to write.

People are aware, I think, that Carol Danvers is in many ways his character even though he didn't create her, but he also did fine work with Jessica Drew, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, the Black Widow. Even with the Wasp, a character he didn't write very often, it was a Claremont Marvel Team-Up story that made her a strong, tough heroine instead of the ditz every other writer had written her as. He also did that story with Alan Davis where the She-Hulk argues in front of the Supreme Court, which probably inspired a lot of the "law comedy" approach every other She-Hulk writer took.

He's probably said everything he has to say about the X-women, so why not put him back on these other women and celebrate the depth of his legacy with Marvel's female characters?

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Uncanny. With whatever cast he wants. Carte blanche.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

I had medium level hopes for some of the recent writers (especially Gillen. Whatever happened to him? That Wicked And Divine is navelgazing sloggery) but it's time. The Maestro needs to come back and resuscitate his franchise. Our franchise.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I'd like to see Claremont on either a main book or satellite book, preferably with Nightcrawler, Professor X and/or Storm because few writers seem to understand those characters lately.

It seems some commenters really don't understand CC's style. He's one of the only writers that knows how to write clever characters that think their way through problems instead constantly relying on brute force. He takes time to develop characters and relationships, which I don't mind. How often do we really see the X-men during down time, or acting like a family? But it's hard to develop in-depth stories when editorial is always yanking authors off of books or dictating story lines by imposing big cross-over events. It would be nice if editorial would just give CC a book and not constantly interfere with the man.

What ever the **** he wants is my answer.

Like with all things, it will be what it will be. That said, this guy sold me on the x-men. I believe he can again.

I think a big part of the problem with later year Claremont (apart from him maybe struggling a bit to update his style from constantly describing what is literally happening in the panel), is that he always wants to introduce new villains (with probably approximately the same miss rate as back in the 70s - they can't all be winners) and meaningful plot beats, but the sales figures consistently show that the readership don't want that - they want stasis. We ask for popular characters to be returned from the dead. We want nostalgia for classic Claremont storylines. We get excited when Uncanny X-Men comes back, because it's familiar.

I've seen there's a lot of hunger on here for Generation X and the New X-Men to grow more into core team members, but that can't happen if we don't also allow the old favourites to age, die, have families and leave the team.

My vote was for a core X-Men book. I can't believe so many people don't want him returning to the X-Men at all. For me, he gets most of the X-Men characterizationwise better than anyone and some of the them only really feel like themselves when he's writing them. I also don't get the complaints about his writing being dated at all.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Every time this comes up I say that I want to see Claremont write a team book featuring all the non-mutant Marvel women he liked to write.

People are aware, I think, that Carol Danvers is in many ways his character even though he didn't create her, but he also did fine work with Jessica Drew, Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, the Black Widow. Even with the Wasp, a character he didn't write very often, it was a Claremont Marvel Team-Up story that made her a strong, tough heroine instead of the ditz every other writer had written her as. He also did that story with Alan Davis where the She-Hulk argues in front of the Supreme Court, which probably inspired a lot of the "law comedy" approach every other She-Hulk writer took.

He's probably said everything he has to say about the X-women, so why not put him back on these other women and celebrate the depth of his legacy with Marvel's female characters?
    I'm up for this, too. Also they're all adult women, which is much more interesting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I love the guy but he needs to work on staying retired or something non-X related. Go save She-Hulk.
    I quite liked how he wrote Spidey in X-Men Forever, even if he had Roguecrawler hit on him

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    I think a big part of the problem with later year Claremont (apart from him maybe struggling a bit to update his style from constantly describing what is literally happening in the panel), is that he always wants to introduce new villains (with probably approximately the same miss rate as back in the 70s - they can't all be winners) and meaningful plot beats, but the sales figures consistently show that the readership don't want that - they want stasis. We ask for popular characters to be returned from the dead. We want nostalgia for classic Claremont storylines. We get excited when Uncanny X-Men comes back, because it's familiar.

I've seen there's a lot of hunger on here for Generation X and the New X-Men to grow more into core team members, but that can't happen if we don't also allow the old favourites to age, die, have families and leave the team.
    You're making two completely contradictory statements, here.

On the one hand you're saying everyone wants nostalgia (which FYI is demonstrably NOT true). On the other, you're saying people want younger characters to be able to grow into core team members.

BANNED

Nothing. He's repeatedly shown the past few times he's "come back" that the quality just isn't there. We already have bad writing...we don't need bad writing and hype

Yeah as lot of ppl are telling, nothing, I don't want him near my favs characters even if he is the person who made me love a lot of X-Men in the first place. He wrote a lot of shitty stuffs and keep bitching about his hatred about the old editors choice back in the 80's. So yeah, nothing.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.