View Poll Results: Chris Claremont's next X-project should be...

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • A core X-Men book as solo writer

26 26.00%
  • Weekly Uncanny X-Men together with another 2/3 writers

11 11.00%
  • A satellite X-book

27 27.00%
  • A solo character X-book

19 19.00%
  • An out of continuity or disconnected book

30 30.00%
  • Other

21 21.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dethi View Post
    Yeah as lot of ppl are telling, nothing, I don't want him near my favs characters even if he is the person who made me love a lot of X-Men in the first place. He wrote a lot of shitty stuffs and keep bitching about his hatred about the old editors choice back in the 80's. So yeah, nothing.
    This is something I find so funny because fans are like "I LOVE this story arc" and he will say "yea I hated how that turned out I should've done it this way" and then say they want him back..lol

Claremont's original run is the gold standard of X-Men and quite likely all of Marvel, maybe even all of comicdom. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he did for the franchise for and uninterrupted 16 years. That said, subsequent runs, for the most part, were less and less cohesive and interesting - the exception being that his third Uncanny run (2004 to 2006 I think? )was somewhat better than his second run in the books right at the turn of the century. I think that would continue to be true if he came back. I enjoyed X-men Forever for what it was, a huge What If? storyline. I think his writing, as good as it used to be, has become somewhat stale and misses the mark. He continues to go back to his old tropes when the events no longer call for it, or even make sense. He goes by his continuity more than actual continuity, ignoring recent past history for characters and events, at least to a degree, so that he can rely on his style of writing and his take on the characters. In short, he is stuck in his ways, and when he was for the most part the sole writing input in the books, his ways were great, and they were fresh. 30-40 years later, not so much. So no, I think he would be best used as an out of continuity book. Though I could see him being given a solo book and doing decently.

I really do like the idea of him being an editor of the books though.

BANNED

Just let him and Alan Davis do Excalibur Forever like they want to.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I voted 'Other" by which I mean 'Nothing'.
    The X-books have been plagued with Nostalgic Mediocrity for far too long. If they are rebooting the line then do so by going forward not re-living and re-hashing the past.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Claremont's original run is the gold standard of X-Men and quite likely all of Marvel, maybe even all of comicdom. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what he did for the franchise for and uninterrupted 16 years. That said, subsequent runs, for the most part, were less and less cohesive and interesting - the exception being that his third Uncanny run (2004 to 2006 I think? )was somewhat better than his second run in the books right at the turn of the century. I think that would continue to be true if he came back. I enjoyed X-men Forever for what it was, a huge What If? storyline. I think his writing, as good as it used to be, has become somewhat stale and misses the mark. He continues to go back to his old tropes when the events no longer call for it, or even make sense. He goes by his continuity more than actual continuity, ignoring recent past history for characters and events, at least to a degree, so that he can rely on his style of writing and his take on the characters. In short, he is stuck in his ways, and when he was for the most part the sole writing input in the books, his ways were great, and they were fresh. 30-40 years later, not so much. So no, I think he would be best used as an out of continuity book. Though I could see him being given a solo book and doing decently.

I really do like the idea of him being an editor of the books though.

that's the rumor, his work is the editor of the X-books

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Nothing. He made the X-men the juggernaut they are today but i feel he already gave everything he could to the x-men.
    Second to that. Claremont deserves a nice happy carefree workfree RETIREMENT.

Incredible Member

He should be the editor. He can watch continuity and fix mistakes and help drive intricate plot points.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    He should be the editor. He can watch continuity and fix mistakes and help drive intricate plot points.
    Claremont as editor, with his knowledge of many of the characters? I'd be very okay with that.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Much of what editors do is mundane production tasks. What Claremont needs to be is a story consultant. I think the group of writers working on Uncanny would enjoy having his imput and having someone to mentor them. Some past writers maybe not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ClanAskani View Post
    Much of what editors do is mundane production tasks. What Claremont needs to be is a story consultant. I think the group of writers working on Uncanny would enjoy having his imput and having someone to mentor them. Some past writers maybe not so much.
    Yeah, these days editors don't do much. I think he needs more of a co-writer position where he is more hands on with the stories/scripts.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I want him to have total control over the whole x-men line including satelite books.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

BANNED

I would like Claremont do a Solo Book for Storm.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Yeah, these days editors don't do much. I think he needs more of a co-writer position where he is more hands on with the stories/scripts.
    I wonder if his ego would allow him to work well with other writers, especially if they don't see eye to eye on a particular plot direction...as have been reported.
    Perhaps "In house Consultant" might be a better role?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I wonder if his ego would allow him to work well with other writers, especially if they don't see eye to eye on a particular plot direction...as have been reported.
    Perhaps "In house Consultant" might be a better role?
    It worked for Roddenberry.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    I would like Claremont do a Solo Book for Storm.
    This was my first inclination, also. Seems like it would be a win-win.