Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

The prequels also included some really stupid events and a timeline that doesn't line up with the OT. Though 2 and 3 were much better than 1.

"I have the higher ground" "She lost the will to live" ....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, he is correct. The Prequels have a much better, more original, deeper, far, far more nuanced story than the original trilogy.

It's just buried very deep under really terrible scripts, terrible pacing, terrible editing, and a terrible direction that succeeded in the unthinkable: drawing a wooden performance from Samuel L. Jackson.

But the actual story? It's far beyond anything Star Wars has ever done.
    Definitely. The prequels had much deeper and more complex scripts buried under the fact that they also had to be "Star Wars".

In fact, I know some younger people who saw 1, 2 and 3 first and then saw 4 and their first comment was that 4 seemed incredibly simplistic compared to the first three. Although I liked 4, 5 and 6 better, I could see that 1, 2 and 3 had vastly more complex and deeper plots. I can understand why Lucas did them in the order he did. Had 1, 2 and 3 come out first, I don't think people would have accepted 4, 5 and 6 and would have considered them dumbing down the story. So, ironically, I think the same reaction people tend to have to 1, 2 and 3 would be the same reaction they would have to 4, 5 and 6 if the trilogies were reversed.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I dislike Batman Begins because its ending (microwave weapon) "feels too big", taking down Scarecrow and Ra's would have been fine imho.
    The Dark Knight has too little Bruce and too much Joker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I dislike Batman Begins because its ending (microwave weapon) "feels too big", taking down Scarecrow and Ra's would have been fine imho.
    The Dark Knight has too little Bruce and too much Joker for me.
    I kind of agree about Batman Begins. It wasn't enough to ruin the movie for me, but I didn't care for the plot choice. Just releasing the gas some other way would have worked, even.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I disagree. In fact the only reason the prequels even have relevance nowadays is because they're attached to the Star Wars brand
    The clone wars cartoon has made a good keeping this era of Star Wars popular. That and with all the weaknesses of the sequels lot of people tend to have a nicer look towards what was done before. Like after the Last Jedi for example lot of people were all "well, attack of the clones wasn't all that bad after all".

Plus the very simple fact that, yes, tons of people do love the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Definitely. The prequels had much deeper and more complex scripts buried under the fact that they also had to be "Star Wars".

In fact, I know some younger people who saw 1, 2 and 3 first and then saw 4 and their first comment was that 4 seemed incredibly simplistic compared to the first three. Although I liked 4, 5 and 6 better, I could see that 1, 2 and 3 had vastly more complex and deeper plots. I can understand why Lucas did them in the order he did. Had 1, 2 and 3 come out first, I don't think people would have accepted 4, 5 and 6 and would have considered them dumbing down the story. So, ironically, I think the same reaction people tend to have to 1, 2 and 3 would be the same reaction they would have to 4, 5 and 6 if the trilogies were reversed.
    He did 4 first because when he did A New Hope, there was no trilogy, there was no giant mythology, Luke and Leia weren't even siblings and Vader not Luke's Father. It was meant to look like the middle of a old fashion Serial. Hence Episode #4. In fact the original script didn't look anything like Star Wars. The mythology was worked out later.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    The clone wars cartoon has made a good keeping this era of Star Wars popular. That and with all the weaknesses of the sequels lot of people tend to have a nicer look towards what was done before. Like after the Last Jedi for example lot of people were all "well, attack of the clones wasn't all that bad after all".

Plus the very simple fact that, yes, tons of people do love the prequels.
    I've never met anyone in person who was willing to admit they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It was meant to look like the middle of a old fashion Serial. Hence Episode #4.
    Even then, I believe the episode number wasn't in the original theatrical release. I recall reading it was added for the re-release in (I want to say) 1980. I think the studio was concerned it would confuse audiences.

BANNED

He did 4 first because when he did A New Hope, there was no trilogy, there was no giant mythology, Luke and Leia weren't even siblings and Vader not Luke's Father. It was meant to look like the middle of a old fashion Serial. Hence Episode #4. In fact the original script didn't look anything like Star Wars. The mythology was worked out later.
    Back in 1977, it was also just called simply Star Wars. This whole "Episode IV: A New Hope" business was added later.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The Star Wars prequels have incredible depth and nuance, jvery complex storytelling, and are the best told, even though the least enjoyable, of all the films.
    G. Lucas tried his hand at relevant political allegory while the Original Trilogy had no ambition beyond homaging movie serials, I will give him that

Thing was the only way he could have failed harder was if the film had actually exploded.

Which is a great argument for watching movies or reading books in the order they were made/ written rather than in some sort of chronological order of events.

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    I've never met anyone in person who was willing to admit they did.
    I've met people like that too when I'm giving off really negative vibes about 1,2,3 and they maybe mumble that they liked them or state it but clearly don't want to argue about it. Especially younger people seem to like them. But when you "read the room" and realize you are about to express the most unpopular opinion ever to the vets, it's easier to just pretend you don't like something or just say "I liked them" and walk away which people have done.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I disagree. In fact the only reason the prequels even have relevance nowadays is because they're attached to the Star Wars brand. If not for that they'd have been done and forgotten about alongside equally bland, basic, pointless cinema like the Lost in Space film and the live-action Dr Seuss movies.
    You could probably say that about Return of the Jedi. Or Force Awakens, or Last Jedi. Hell if Empire wasn't attached to Star Wars it would just be a pretty good sci fi flick as opposed to the amazing follow up that surpassed all expectations and took the series in a new direction. That's just how franchises work.

The original Star Wars was an achievement, the rest were just playing off the set up of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Which is a great argument for watching movies or reading books in the order they were made/ written rather than in some sort of chronological order of events.
    You almost have to do it chronologically. You aren't supposed to watch the original thinking that Vader is Luke's father. It's supposed to be a surprise in the 2nd film. Even elements of the prequel trilogy are meant to thematically play off of certain pieces of the original trilogy. It's meant to be watched 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3. Hell even now with the sequel trilogy bringing up the fact that the Jedi order fell at it's height by being deceived by Sidious means you should probably go 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8,

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Back in 1977, it was also just called simply Star Wars. This whole "Episode IV: A New Hope" business was added later.
    Didn't Lucas himself say he though Star Wars would be a flop and that would be the end of it. It was only because Star Wars was a huge hit that the
    two sequels were made. Perhaps he had ideas for a sequel, but there would have been no reason to call the first Star Wars movie episode four at the time.