Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Unpopular opinion: The first Thor movie is the best of the trilogy.
    I agree with this. I know people love Ragnarok but to me it is a very flawed movie with a tone that is all over the place. Here there are killing people right and left in the beginning and then they switch to this weird jokey jokey stuff half way through, and then try to switch back to serious at the end? And I'm sorry but when was the last time Jeff Goldblum was in a movie and playing someone besides himself? His Grandmaster was just him in some funny clothes. To me it was like they filmed two completely different movies and then tried cramming them together in the editing room. That is why whenever people start saying they want Waitti to do Guardians 3 is makes me shudder with dread.

Dark World was not good, but at least it kept a consistant tone throughout the movie. The main problem with DW was just a bad script and focusing too much on Thor and Loki and having a paper thin main villain. When the henchman villain is 10 times more interesting than the main baddie your script went off the rails somewhere.

Astonishing Member

-The Russo brothers are very mediocre directors. Zack Snyder may be so much more incompetent than the Russo’s when it comes to character & storytelling but at least he knows how to make even the most minor of shots look dynamic and interesting. Prior to joining Marvel the Russo’s were primarily television directors and boy does it show.

Captain America: Winter Soldier is nothing more than a above-average wannabe Spy-thriller that’s poorly shot in a lot of places. It’s a political thriller in name only as it’s messaging is really simplistic & sanitizes the complex topics its tackling. I actually think the action/fight choreography in the film is only mildly passable since it doesn’t hold a candle to the Raid films at all. In fact, inn my honest opinion, the hand-to-hand combat shown lacks the grit and punch that the Raid movies have.

Civil War is a legit bad film with that airport sequence being super-cringeworthy. And it’s shot horribly. I think it’s a really ugly looking film. It looks so cheap and uncinematic.

Batman v Superman is more interesting in its ambitions than either WS and Civil War and has some really nice visual imagery. I think it’s tone is just fine and the least of its problems. It’s a good film in a lot ways even if its one of least praised superhero movies in recent memory.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-11-2018 at 12:09 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Civil War is a legit bad film with that airport sequence being super-cringeworthy.
    I sure can agree with that. The basic idea of the whole thing is so freaking dumb. The Avengers messes up, the world asks (in a very reasonable way) for them to just OBEY THE LAW lol but no, no sir, Cap follows no rules and prefers to trow a giant tantrum, potentially ruining most of his friends lifes. (they can thanks Thanos in a way, they still would be pretty f*cked without him genociding half of existence, the ones who survived at least)

And all of that over nothing but over-inflated ego and a very bizarre sens of friendship. The story in that movie makes absolutely no sense, everyone acts crazy.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-10-2018 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    -The Russo brothers are very mediocre directors. Zack Snyder may be a much more incompetent than than the Russo’s when it comes to character & storytelling but at least he knows how to make even the most minor of shots look dynamic and interesting. Prior joining Marvel the Russo’s were primarily television directors and boy does it show.

Captain America: Winter Soldier is nothing more than above-average wannabe Spy-thriller that’s poorly shot in a lot of places. It’s a political thriller in name only as it’s messaging is really simplistic & sanitizes the complex topics its tackling. I actually think the action/fight choreography in the film is only mildly passable since it doesn’t hold a candle to the Raid films at all. In fact in my honest opinion the hand-to-hand fight lacks the grit and punch that the Raid movies have.

Civil War is a legit bad film with that airport sequence being super-cringeworthy. And it’s shot horribly. I think it’s a really ugly looking film.

Batman v Superman is more interesting in its ambitions than either WS and Civil War and has some really nice visual imagery. I think it’s tone is just fine and the least of its problems. It’s a good film in a lot ways even if its one of least praised superhero movies in recent memory.
    The problem with Snyder movies is they are all hat and no cowboy. They look good but they don't have much of a story or character development. They are mostly a lot of action scenes with the bare minimum of story to tie them together.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The problem with Snyder movies is they are all hat and no cowboy. They look good but they don't have much of a story or character development. They are mostly a lot of action scenes with the bare minimum of story to tie them together.
    Maybe for 300 & Sucker Punch, I can see your point; I think BvS and Watchmen has plenty of story(too much actually) and I’m not one of those “Zack Snyder is all style no substance” crowd since I do think there is some layers of depth in his films but he just emphasizes the more flashy aspects of his filmmaking than his substantive aspects a lot of the time. I think he’s a tremendously underrated filmmaker who gets a lot of undeserved flack. He’s really good when he has the right script as we saw with Dawn Of The Dead(written by James Gunn, funny enough) which for my money is his best film.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Mighty Member

When fans claim they can do whatever better than a director, the director should take them on their offer. Then when that fan's work flops extremely hard due to a lack of filmmaking knowledge, then maybe they'll be humble.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I agree with this. I know people love Ragnarok but to me it is a very flawed movie with a tone that is all over the place. Here there are killing people right and left in the beginning and then they switch to this weird jokey jokey stuff half way through, and then try to switch back to serious at the end? And I'm sorry but when was the last time Jeff Goldblum was in a movie and playing someone besides himself? His Grandmaster was just him in some funny clothes. To me it was like they filmed two completely different movies and then tried cramming them together in the editing room. That is why whenever people start saying they want Waitti to do Guardians 3 is makes me shudder with dread.

Dark World was not good, but at least it kept a consistant tone throughout the movie. The main problem with DW was just a bad script and focusing too much on Thor and Loki and having a paper thin main villain. When the henchman villain is 10 times more interesting than the main baddie your script went off the rails somewhere.
    Thor > Thor: Ragnarok is not a popular opinion, but I agree with you when I say it is a very flawed movie. From what I've heard, Taika Waititi was actually going for a more serious movies with his flair for creating jokes. Apparently, he was told to make it funnier.

I am not a fan of Ragnarok. I can watch the movie and enjoy it. It is quite entertaining, but it is a terrible excuse for a Thor movie. I am not a Thor fan and I think the character deserves a better movie than Ragnarok, where his friends and family are mowed down and he barely acknowledges it.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

The Shining isn't scary.

It's not very difficult to scare my by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    And entire series is trash just because somebody in marketing frelled up? That's harsh, man.
    Honestly, I don't see how it's a marketing mistake. It's a typical example of bait-and-switch that no other film gets anywhere near as much grief for. We thought Finn was going to be a Jedi and he wasn't. That's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Honestly, I don't see how it's a marketing mistake. It's a typical example of bait-and-switch that no other film gets anywhere near as much grief for. We thought Finn was going to be a Jedi and he wasn't. That's all there is to it.
    What? So people don't like the movie because what they thought would happen didn't happen? That the movie surprised them?

BANNED

Why did you think Finn would be a Jedi?

If you're going to say trailer, that's marketing. I never watched the trailer, and was very surprised he even picked up the Lightsaber.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Why did you think Finn would be a Jedi?

If you're going to say trailer, that's marketing. I never watched the trailer, and was very surprised he even picked up the Lightsaber.
    Trailers leave out spoilers in the film all the time. Like I said, it's not a marketing problem. They wanted to keep Rey being a Jedi a surprise. It's not a marketing problem nor is it a flaw in the film.

BANNED

Trailers leave out spoilers in the film all the time. Like I said, it's not a marketing problem. They wanted to keep Rey being a Jedi a surprise. It's not a marketing problem nor is it a flaw in the film.
    Who do you think makes trailers?

They wanted to keep Rey being a Jedi a surprise.
    And how is that not a marketing move?

I really, really didn't like Alien 3. I felt it was too negative in its handling of Ripley, Newt and Hicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I am not a fan of Ragnarok. I can watch the movie and enjoy it. It is quite entertaining, but it is a terrible excuse for a Thor movie. I am not a Thor fan and I think the character deserves a better movie than Ragnarok, where his friends and family are mowed down and he barely acknowledges it.
    I agree with this. There are parts of the movie I actually really like. Visually, it comes right out of the Jack Kirby Thor comics that made me a fan of the character. Thor is actually a character I never cared for until I went back and read those early comics, so it was nice to see all that. Second, it was an incredibly fun movie and a very entertaining watch. That is, until you think about what the movie actually is about. It kind of reminded me of Star Trek 5. Where the studio wanted a comedic space romp while Shatner wanted to tell a deep introspective story about pain and finding God. Rather than pick one over the other, they decided to make a comedic space romp about finding God and the nature of our hidden pain. There's some good stuff in the movie, but the whole just feels disjointed.