Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I think as a whole, those movies are not as good as we collectively remember them. Batman Begins is really not all that different from an Iron Man, The Dark Knight hinges on one stellar performance and is otherwise a by the numbers crime thriller without it and Dark Knight Rises is just bad. While they probably are the best made Batman movies, they don't really stack up in Nolan's canon. But, I do appreciate them for the same reasons I do a Logan or a Deadpool. They play with the genre so that the superhero movie world isn't so samey. I wish more superhero films followed this path.
    Huh? If I recall correctly, didn’t Begins predate Iron Man so shouldn’t it be the other way around?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The First Avenger is a sanitized view of WW2 and uses a nostalgic version of America.
    Though to be fair, I kind of think that's the point. First Avenger was always supposed to be a throwback to the old adventure serials with it's pulpy take on the era and not a gritty, accurate reflection of the time period or subject matter. It's more Raiders Of The Lost Ark and less Saving Private Ryan, if that makes sense.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Though to be fair, I kind of think that's the point. First Avenger was always supposed to be a throwback to the old adventure serials with it's pulpy take on the era and not a gritty, accurate reflection of the time period or subject matter. It's more Raiders Of The Lost Ark and less Saving Private Ryan, if that makes sense.
    You'd be surprised how many fans don't know this. There are people who honestly think this was an accurate depiction of WW2 and was actually saying something smart about that time period.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-03-2018 at 02:54 AM.

Dalton was a great Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Dalton was a great Bond.
    While I agree, I didn't know this was controversial.

While I agree, I didn't know this was controversial.
    Unpopular doesn't mean controversial.

Unpopular doesn't mean controversial.
    Sorry I meant unpopular. Forgot the title of the thread briefly.

Sorry I meant unpopular. Forgot the title of the thread briefly.
    I don't hear an awful lotta people sing his praises.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Huh? If I recall correctly, didn’t Begins predate Iron Man so shouldn’t it be the other way around?
    True. I was just using Iron Man as an example. What I meant is that it's the prototypical comic book origin movie. Iron Man, Spider-Man 1, Green Lantern, ect.

BANNED

As fast as I know he's the only actor to play the role that was a Shakespearean actor. He had a lot of things right, but as I said was saddled with a script written for Moore in his first outing and never really recovered.

Maybe cause there isn't a lot to sing about in his performance.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    As fast as I know he's the only actor to play the role that was a Shakespearean actor. He had a lot of things right, but as I said was saddled with a script written for Moore in his first outing and never really recovered.
    I really think the problem was Licence To Kill rather than Living Daylights.

It was a rather big departure from the Bond people were used to, and on top of that Bond was just fighting a Colombian drug lord just like so many other action heroes at the time. It seemed a bit generic for a Bond movie.

Sean Connery is the second-worst Bond, and a strong case could be made for the very worst. His smug, uber-cool attitude was completely out of place for the character Ian Fleming created. There were times when he allowed the real Bond to show through - getting physically ill after a tarantula had crawled up his body, for instance - but those instances were increasingly rare with each appearance.

Yet his portrayal proved to be the model for every actor that came after until Daniel Craig, who finally got it right. Timothy Dalton gave it a good try, but was unfortunately saddled with a script intended for Moore in his first outing and he never got past the second (where he did much better thanks to a script that rose to his skills, rather than limited by Moore's).
    Let's not forget that in this era of #MeToo, Sean Connery's Bond has no place. Some of his character's interactions with women in those films even make me cringe.

My unpopular movie opinion is that Guy Ritchie has only made one decent and entertaining film in his career thus far: RocknRolla
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I really think the problem was Licence To Kill rather than Living Daylights.

It was a rather big departure from the Bond people were used to, and on top of that Bond was just fighting a Colombian drug lord just like so many other action heroes at the time. It seemed a bit generic for a Bond movie.
    Which makes it a Bond that's truer to the books. Flemming's work fits more comfortably with the hardboiled detective genre of its day than most stuff of the espionage thriller category of any era.

That said, I get what you're saying. I personally liked the plot and performances of both Dalton films, but I can see why film-Bond fans found it jarring, much as they did On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Speaking of Nicholson, I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but my opinion is that he is directly responsible for the birth of the successful superhero movie genre. Despite all the advances in CGI that make the superhero effects possible, I don't think they would be successful if there weren't A-list actors in them. Nicholson as Joker gave permission for talented actors to do the genre.
    Damn. I don't know if I've heard of that opinion expressed before, so I can't comment on whether it's a popular or unpopular opinion, but that is an interesting opinion. I will have to dwell on that one, because right now? I am inclined to agree with it.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/