Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Hadn't Brando and Hackman already done that?
    I would argue that Superman was too early to be regarded as a precursor to the modern superhero explosion.

But, be that as it may, Brando was a fairly straightforward character, though in a fantasy film. Hackman, though having won an Academy award by that point, was nevertheless not yet considered A List at that point. He was somewhat indiscriminate about the roles he took at that period.

Nicholson was the only superstar to take on an inherently silly role in a superhero film to that point.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 09-03-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I would argue that Superman was too earthly to be regarded as a precursor to the modern superhero explosion.

But, be that as it may, Brando was a fairly straightforward character, though in a fantasy film. Hackman, though having won an Academy award by that point, was nevertheless not yet considered A List at that point. He was somewhat indiscriminate about the roles he took at that period.

Nicholson was the only superstar to take on an inherently silly role in a superhero film to that point.
    Fair enough.

I'd argue that Nicholsons casting did change thing but in the way it became a big paycheck so the roles became more coveted. This is then combined with the blockbuster boom of 80s that kept growing into what they are now.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I'd argue that Nicholsons casting did change thing but in the way it became a big paycheck so the roles became more coveted. This is then combined with the blockbuster boom of 80s that kept growing into what they are now.
    My impression is that boom was much more pronounced in the 80s than 90s

Daniel Craig sucks at James Bond, but the producers fashion better movies around him.
    Pierce Brosnan was the best James Bond, but only Goldeneye had a good script.
    Superman Returns and Man of Steel were both good movies.
    Star Wars: Attack of the Clones was a good movie.
    Ann Hathaway was the best Catwoman. Michelle Pfeiffer was bad.

BANNED

Never Say Never Again is a James Bond film

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    But nothing beats Mask of the Phantasm and Dark Knight.
    That's not an unpopular opinion since TDK is very often considered the best superhero film of all time by many.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Never Say Never Again is a James Bond film
    Yes, it stars Sean Connery as JAMES BOND.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Ann Hathaway was the best Catwoman. Michelle Pfeiffer was bad.
    In retrospect Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman was only a step up from Halle Berry's Catwoman. Anne Hathaway nailed the role. Michelle just benefited from better writing and better visuals than Halle Berry.
    To be honest I never did like the costume. I get what Burton was going for but it does look ridiculous.

Here's an unpopular movie opinion for you.

I enjoyed Highlander 2. Storywise, it doesn't fit in with anything, but as a stand alone movie it's entertaining.

Astonishing Member

Rian Johnsons's version of Luke in TLJ is the best thing to ever happen to the character. Luke in the original trilogy was always a severely boring and dull protagonist and thank god for Rian Johnson finally making him an interesting character -- something he never was before.

Why do I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of hate for this post?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-03-2018 at 07:07 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    While I agree, I didn't know this was controversial.
    Ehh

I think most fans generally view the Bond’s as Connery or Craig in a pickem (I think Connery still gets the nod), Brosnan being the really good one with bad material, Moore being a cornerstone of the series for how long he played the role, and then Dalton’s viewed as a step above Lazenby. The big problem Dalton has is his two films were radically different so you get a lot of people who love one and hate the other. In my case that is living License to Kim and finding The Living Daylights to be the most absurd thing ever put to film

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    True. I was just using Iron Man as an example. What I meant is that it's the prototypical comic book origin movie. Iron Man, Spider-Man 1, Green Lantern, ect.
    Begins is a bit overrated, but it’s still a step above those films. It really was the first comic film to be ambitious with the filming style and tell a non linear story. I think it does it at a very basic level but it’s better than the standard hero origin. Also the acting is far far better than most films

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Let's not forget that in this era of #MeToo, Sean Connery's Bond has no place. Some of his character's interactions with women in those films even make me cringe.

My unpopular movie opinion is that Guy Ritchie has only made one decent and entertaining film in his career thus far: RocknRolla
    Bond’s character is a sexist who treats women as sex objects with hints that he views them merely as conquests for his enjoyment by whatever means he see’s fit. Even in Craig’s series Bond has still walked undoliscited into a shower with a woman he knew was put in a sex trafficking ring (and laughs off her death later), seducing a widow whom was terrified knowing assasin marked her for death. That’s two of the more recent ones. Bond is supposed to be a flawed character, not a hero. He works fine in Me Too under that lens.

Found footage style is still fun for horror films. Not for much else, but works there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El