Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is One More Day a story that should not have been told?

Are there types of stories that shouldn't be told in Spider-Man?

Can I say OMD as Spider-man would NEVER MAKE A DEAL WITH THE LITERAL INTERPRETATION OF THE DEVIL.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Can I say OMD as Spider-man would NEVER MAKE A DEAL WITH THE LITERAL INTERPRETATION OF THE DEVIL.
    Yeah, that's about the only one I could think of that shouldn't have been told, or at least not been told without it being a short arc that gets undone right away instead of dragged out for ten years.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Angry

I agree in so far as it, OMD, should NEVER have been told the way it was.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

To me One More Day is not a story that should never been told in the Spider-Man stories.
    The One More Day have similarities with Faust,a story that is a classic of literature,that have been adaptated in other literary,artistic,cinematic and musical works.Something that shows how the original story of Faust have been a literary reference in fictional stories.
    Plus Marvel had already published a story with many of the elements of the Faust story,in a Marvel Graphic Novel of Silver Surfer (The diference is when that Marvel Graphic Novel was published,readers were not as easilly offended by fictional stories as they were during the publication of OMD)
    So of course i actually like when a comic book story have elements of classic literature stories,and is disapointing to me to see that people criticizing diferent stories as OMD,because that way they are just making it even more difficult to more sophisticated stories to be made thus limiting the type of stories that writers can write in comic books.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 09-16-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    To me One More Day is not a story that should never been told in the Spider-Man stories.
    The One More Day have similarities with Faust,a story that is a classic of literature,that have been adaptated in other literary,artistic,cinematic and musical works.Something that shows how the original story of Faust have been a literary reference in fictional stories.
    Plus Marvel had already published a story with many of the elements of the Faust story,in a Marvel Graphic Novel of Silver Surfer (The diference is when that Marvel Graphic Novel was published,readers were not as easilly offended by fictional stories as they were during the publication of OMD)
    So of course i actually like when a comic book story have elements of classic literature stories,and is disapointing to me to see that people criticizing diferent stories as OMD,because that way they are just making it even more difficult to more sophisticated stories to be made thus limiting the type of stories that writers can write in comic books.
    I think the issue with the Silver Surfer story versus OMD was that with Silver Surfer, the story depicted him ultimately overcoming the devil figure's attempt to acquire his immortal soul by getting him to succumb to temptation, while OMD had the protagonist giving in to the same devil figure's temptation and thus forfeiting, if not his soul, then at least part of it. Left as is, OMD gives off the impression that ultimate evil triumphed that day, that in the face of terrible loss and despair, the protagonist gave in to temptation and took the easy road out, one that leads to only one very bad place, no matter how good his intentions may have been. That's something a lot of people can't really stomach, especially since superhero stories, as dark as they can get at times, should be ultimately uplifting tales of good overcoming evil, even if at great cost, instead of evil triumphing in the face of good's lack of resolve and will.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

The biggest problem with OMD is the fact that noone else in the Marvel Universe with their advanced super science, magic or piwers could save Aunt May, forcing Pete to deal with Mephisto.
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think the issue with the Silver Surfer story versus OMD was that with Silver Surfer, the story depicted him ultimately overcoming the devil figure's attempt to acquire his immortal soul by getting him to succumb to temptation, while OMD had the protagonist giving in to the same devil figure's temptation and thus forfeiting, if not his soul, then at least part of it. Left as is, OMD gives off the impression that ultimate evil triumphed that day, that in the face of terrible loss and despair, the protagonist gave in to temptation and took the easy road out, one that leads to only one very bad place, no matter how good his intentions may have been. That's something a lot of people can't really stomach, especially since superhero stories, as dark as they can get at times, should be ultimately uplifting tales of good overcoming evil, even if at great cost, instead of evil triumphing in the face of good's lack of resolve and will.
    That and it retconned 20 years of comics, making a lifetime collection useless and worth no more than a roll of toilet paper.

OMD and EVERY issue published since is complete and utter garbage. Even now that they're back together, that relationship is tainted by the fact that they're picking up a relationship that us, as readers, HAVE NEVER SEEN.

The struggles that this couple has 'overcome' and have been referenced for the last decade all 'happened' off screen, so there's no reason to be invested in them. There's no reason to care. Until they get their memories back, if ever, this new relationship is built on lies, cashing in on nostalgia for when Spidey comics were actually good. Marvel and Spencer are pandering, laughing and pissing on us while telling us it's raining. The worst part is that some people are drinking it and swear it's water.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 2Thumbs View Post
    The worst part is that some people are drinking it and swear it's water.
    You must really need all that salt to grit the path when it's snowing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    The biggest problem with OMD is the fact that noone else in the Marvel Universe with their advanced super science, magic or piwers could save Aunt May, forcing Pete to deal with Mephisto.
    What specifically could they have done? The bullet was out.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    What specifically could they have done? The bullet was out.
    Oh, I don't know how about heal her (physically, mentally or spiritually), turn back time, swap her mind into a cloned body, grab an alternate reality version of May with the same memories, or any number of things that have been done before or since. The characters of the Marvel Universe often make the impossible seem easy.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-29-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Oh, I don't know how about heal her (physically, mentally or spiritually), turn back time, swap her mind into a cloned body, grab an alternate reality version of May with the same memories, or any number of things that have been done before or since. The characters of the Marvel Universe often make the impossible seem easy.
    How specifically could they heal her? Turning back time is a bit shady, since that could be used in any story in which someone is killed. Grabbed an alternate reality May is immoral. Swapping her mind into a cloned body doesn't work if the problem may be with her mind.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

How specifically could they heal her? Turning back time is a bit shady, since that could be used in any story in which someone is killed. Grabbed an alternate reality May is immoral. Swapping her mind into a cloned body doesn't work if the problem may be with her mind.
    And making a deal with a devil-like figure is not, please.

C'mon we both know that comic book or fiction writers, in general, can create a multitude of contrived in-universe solutions to such a mundane (by comic book standards) problem. Don't act like this is an issue that many of these characters couldn't solve if they tried. There is no logic behind OMD the execution is laughable and full of more holes than a block of Swiss Cheese.

Edit - I might cut the setup some slack if Peter didn't literally go to half or more of the Marvel Universe heavy hitters. Not one of those people offered one solution, they didn't even try to come up with ideas. A guy like Dr. Doom alone would surely have tried if only to stroke his own ego, especially after Reed Richards came up empty-handed.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-29-2018 at 04:33 PM.

And making a deal with a devil-like figure is not, please.

C'mon we both know that comic book or fiction writers, in general, can create a multitude of contrived in-universe solutions to such a mundane (by comic book standards) problem. Don't act like this is an issue that many of these characters couldn't solve if they tried. There is no logic behind OMD the execution is laughable and full of more holes than a block of Swiss Cheese.

Edit - I might cut the setup some slack if Peter didn't literally go to half or more of the Marvel Universe heavy hitters. Not one of those people offered one solution, they didn't even try to come up with ideas. A guy like Dr. Doom alone would surely have tried if only to stroke his own ego, especially after Reed Richards came up empty-handed.
    The point of the story was that no one else could help at that moment, so Mephisto having a solution isn't that meaningful as a knock against the story.

But we still haven't established what anyone else could have done to help Aunt May. Healing is vague, until there can be an explanation about the exact process. The other solutions have their own flaws (IE- making a Peter Parker from an alternate universe suffer at the loss of his aunt.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The point of the story was that no one else could help at that moment, so Mephisto having a solution isn't that meaningful as a knock against the story....
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see Mephisto being the only one who had the solution as extremely contrived given the nature of the Marvel Universe and its various super genius and godlike inhabitants. As I've said on multiple occasions.

I'm not necessarily against what OMD achieved so much as how the story achieved it. I stand by my earlier statement that the story in its current form should never have been told for the reasons I've outlined (also on multiple occasions). I have nothing more to add.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-29-2018 at 05:35 PM.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point. I see Mephisto being the only one who had the solution as extremely contrived given the nature of the Marvel Universe and its various super genius and godlike inhabitants. As I've said on multiple occasions.

I'm not necessarily against what OMD achieved so much as how the story achieved it. I stand by my earlier statement that the story in its current form should never have been told for the reasons I've outlined (also on multiple occasions). I have nothing more to add.
    One problem with the idea that anyone should have been able to help May is that there isn't an explanation about what they can do. There are vague references to healing, but the process isn't explained. If someone has magic healing powers, they can fix a broken bone by repairing it, they can rebuild broken part of organs, they might be able to remove an infection, they might be able to temporarily increase the multiplication rate of white blood cells.) But these things would not help someone wake up from a coma. There are too many unknowns about the physical processes that would be required to pull that off.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets