Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who can beat the Spectre?

From any publisher: DC, Marvel, Image, etc.

The Spectre is frequently viewed as the most powerful character in the known DC universe. He certainly must have the longest list of on-panel feats to back up that claim among 99% of other characters.

But what about that remaining 1 percent?

I know there are characters who present a greater than the Spectre, both in and out of DC. But which of these rare characters also have the on-panel feats to definitely put them above the Spectre in terms of firepower?

BANNED

actually anyone can 'kill' the spectre if he can just get his hands on the spear of destiny. its his kryptonite
    otherwise in a power struggle it will be pre crisis fate probably and then eclipso also comes to mind. the Marvel vs dc series though not canon suggests he is on par with the tribunal so not sure if he can get beaten down by anyone apart from eternity and infinity as for image god spawn and Man of miracles come to mind.

Yeah, let's leave the Spear of Destiny out of this, esp since it wouldn't count as anyone's standard gear.

Interesting about Eclipso and Pre-COIE Dr. Fate being good matchups for the Spectre. Were either of them powered up beyond their usual levels during the fight or was Spectre explicitly de-powered?

I know both Michael and Lucifer are above the Spectre's paygrade, as is the Presence (and Overvoid the Mind of Monitor would be as well, to say nothing of The Writer).

The Great Evil Beast ragdolled him. Mandrakk beat him and a similarly powerful being at the same time.

I think that's it for the list of DC characters that can outright beat the Spectre on their own.

I figure a full power Spectre could, with difficulty, eventually take down a full power Galactus, one on one.

Fairly sure both the Pre-retcon Beyonder and the Pre-retcon Molecule Man can dispatch the Spectre easily. And, just to be thorough, The One Above All is even further beyond the Spectre than those two.

No idea about any of the Marvel Cosmics in between that group and Galactus tho.

It depends also on the incarnation of the Spectre. Depending on the host of the Spirit (or in the case of Day of Vengeance, lack thereof), they have varied wildly in competence/effectiveness.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Yeah, let's leave the Spear of Destiny out of this, esp since it wouldn't count as anyone's standard gear.

Interesting about Eclipso and Pre-COIE Dr. Fate being good matchups for the Spectre. Were either of them powered up beyond their usual levels during the fight or was Spectre explicitly de-powered?

I know both Michael and Lucifer are above the Spectre's paygrade, as is the Presence (and Overvoid the Mind of Monitor would be as well, to say nothing of The Writer).

The Great Evil Beast ragdolled him. Mandrakk beat him and a similarly powerful being at the same time.

I think that's it for the list of DC characters that can outright beat the Spectre on their own.

I figure a full power Spectre could, with difficulty, eventually take down a full power Galactus, one on one.

Fairly sure both the Pre-retcon Beyonder and the Pre-retcon Molecule Man can dispatch the Spectre easily. And, just to be thorough, The One Above All is even further beyond the Spectre than those two.

No idea about any of the Marvel Cosmics in between that group and Galactus tho.
    if the beyonder doesn't have a soul for him to judge the spectre can't do squat against him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    It depends also on the incarnation of the Spectre. Depending on the host of the Spirit (or in the case of Day of Vengeance, lack thereof), they have varied wildly in competence/effectiveness.
    Lets assume Corrigan, as any other host bound Spectre is... less than ideal. *glares at Hal and that last guy who's name escapes me*
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    if the beyonder doesn't have a soul for him to judge the spectre can't do squat against him anyway.
    Not sure about that: the pre-retcon Anti-Monitor didn't have a soul to speak of, yet Spectre was def able to put up a good fight against him, tho that's another character who was probably just above Spectre's overall level.

Basically, unless you are a flat out universe destroying force of nature, Spectre probably has you beat if it's Corrigan.

If you can "shake the cosmos" and frag galaxies and muck about with time and space, that's not enough. Galactus would not beat Corrigan imo.

Zero Hour Hal Jordan was tearing the universe to pieces with twin points of focused Entropy and then threatened to remake the thing in his image. Spectre gave it to him to the point where it drastically drained his reserves before Hal drove him off. Not long after, Spectre got back to his feet and generated a partial big bang (by overpowering a dude named Damage) to repair the huge chunks of universe that were messed up by Hal.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

BANNED

the high end feats of pre crisis spectre certainly has most characters beat but then he has the post crisis low showings of not able to do much to king of tears symbolized by his crying on containing him( thus justifying the name ) and being totally ineffective against nekron darkseids etc. it seems that the spectre was then retconed to be able to affect only those entities who have souls which explains why he sticks to earth instead of going ape in other dimensions.

Mmm vaporizing Darkseid with a gesture is not exactly him being innefective. Just his boss or the universe or whatever over ruled him
    - big_adventure

BANNED

depends on how you look at it. ultimately he was bound by rules and muzzled which makes him subject to cis which is always on by default as in his character is always afraid to intervene and defy gods will and when he ignores the edicts his actions are undone or he is restrained which was the gambit used by fate to stop his rampage in dov though come to think of it there was no undoing his actions in that arc.
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 09-03-2018 at 11:42 AM.

I’d be interested to see how even Corrigan Spectre or DoV Spectre would do against Mad Jim Jaspers.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I’d be interested to see how even Corrigan Spectre or DoV Spectre would do against Mad Jim Jaspers.
    Ah, totally forgot about the high-end reality warpers.

The pre-Flashpoint "Emperor Joker" storyline did establish the Spectre is well below Mr. Mxyzptlk. And I guess by extension any of DC's higher-dimension imps like Ms. Gsptlsnz and Vyndktvx are therefore also ahead of the Spectre. Would that be accurate?

Speaking of high-end reality warpers, how does the most competent version of the Spectre stack up against adult Franklin Richards?

Or ... dare I ask ... Popeye?

BANNED

spectre taking on Jaspers would be something akin to the encounter the spectre had with Hal when he was parallax. if it goes anything like that encounter then he will probably turn tail and vanish like he did in rebirth when he had the opportunity to butcher the parallax for all the deaths but didn't do anything but disappear if there is a rematch with Jaspers.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Ah, totally forgot about the high-end reality warpers.

The pre-Flashpoint "Emperor Joker" storyline did establish the Spectre is well below Mr. Mxyzptlk. And I guess by extension any of DC's higher-dimension imps like Ms. Gsptlsnz and Vyndktvx are therefore also ahead of the Spectre. Would that be accurate?

Speaking of high-end reality warpers, how does the most competent version of the Spectre stack up against adult Franklin Richards?

Or ... dare I ask ... Popeye?
    No, it established that the Hal Jordan Spectre was.