Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

I think the OP's original intent is to list those shows that are marketed for younger children, not shows aimed at teenagers, like the superhero shows.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    I think the OP's original intent is to list those shows that are marketed for younger children, not shows aimed at teenagers, like the superhero shows.
    Well, this kind of thought was weighing on me as I was thinking about responding. Is the intent that we list cartoons we like despite them not having some hidden layers designed to appeal to older audiences. Or is it just that the target audience was children?

Because I can say a lot of good things about Batman the Animated Series, Gargoyles, Star Vs. the Forces of Evil, and quite a few Shounen anime series, among others. But those are all shows that have stuff in them designed for older audiences to enjoy, jokes and concepts and themes etc. that go over children's heads. You could argue in retrospect that shows like Batman TAS and Gargoyles targeted teens rather than younger children, but at the time they aired the notion of specifically targeting older teens with cartoons wasn't really a thing.

Boisterously Confused

Dr. Seuss's The Grinch Who Stole Christmas never - ever - gets old. No matter how old you get.

Incredible Member

Voltron: Legendary Defender

For me it's the Toy Story franchise.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    You could argue in retrospect that shows like Batman TAS and Gargoyles targeted teens rather than younger children, but at the time they aired the notion of specifically targeting older teens with cartoons wasn't really a thing.
    What are you talking about? When I was growing up, Saturday morning cartoons were always marketed towards kids of a certain age at certain times, with the cutesy type cartoons like Smurfs and Gummy Bears in the early morning for the very young kids and the grittier stuff like Thundarr the Barbarian and Johnny Quest for the tweens and teens after 10:30 who liked to sleep in.

After school was similar, with the cartoons targeting older kids airing first and then getting more young kid friendly in the evening. Shows like Battle of the Planets and Spiral Zone would air at 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon and the shows like Scooby Doo and Ducktales were at 5:00. Why? Because the older kids were usually first to get home after school.

TV stations have been placing their TV shows to target the audience they were seeking from the days of Howdy Doody.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Yes indeed. Shows geared for little kids. for instance, Dora The Explorer. I like it, but I tire of it after 2 episodes. It's too repetitive for little kids to teach them stuff haha. It gets a bit in my nerves after a while.