Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I forgot to mention that besides the colors, I'm a huge fan of Superman's red cape blowing with the wind.

The DC Trinity definitely have such unique and awesome costumes, and that's one of the things I love about it, that they stand out from the rest. Some characters wear costumes that just don't have that at all.

Iconic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    No other artist could draw Hawkman's headgear like Joe Kubert. Which is maybe why so many artists have tried to change it to something easier.
    I thought Dick Dillin did a nice job with Hawkman on JLofA

Boisterously Confused

No other artist could draw Hawkman's headgear like Joe Kubert. Which is maybe why so many artists have tried to change it to something easier.

Andersen, Byrne and Perez were all pretty faithful to Kubert's look, even tho their styles were very different than his. I sometimes think other artists can't handle the idea that Kubert's design doesn't use the masks eyes as eye-holes, or even line up the mask's eyes with the position of the character's eyes. I always took that to mean the helmet had a Thanagarian display that gave Hawkman a lot of his senses.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 09-04-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Designed by the great Dave Cockrum:
    wildfire.jpg

Boisterously Confused

I've also always been a great fan of Perez' original design for Raven. Classic and mysterious.

images.jpg

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Gotta give Walter West a shout-out.

In the same vein, that alternate Wally West costume in one of the future Titans stories was awesome. I forget which one but it was a giant wide lightning stripe that cut diagonally across the whole costume with no belt, I think the outside was yellow.

Black Adam and Nightwing also favorites. I think I'm attracted to a sleek no-belt look with shiny accenting dark.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Gotta give Walter West a shout-out.

In the same vein, that alternate Wally West costume in one of the future Titans stories was awesome. I forget which one but it was a giant wide lightning stripe that cut diagonally across the whole costume with no belt, I think the outside was yellow.

Black Adam and Nightwing also favorites. I think I'm attracted to a sleek no-belt look with shiny accenting dark.
    That would have made a great Nu52 redesign to help set the character apart.

Justice_League_of_America_The_Ray_Rebirth_Vol_1_1_Textless_Variant.jpg

0f536204c9425b79723171c2068a4709.jpg

Batman's design is so good, it's still instantly recognizable over so many alterations.

I like Wonder Woman's movie costume as well.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Nightwing’s costume is pretty awesome. I especially love it when he had the blue stripe down his arms all the way to his fingers.

Superman’s costume is such a fantastic design. It inspired/influenced an entire industry. It’s the prototypical superhero look. The primary colors with the red separating the blue. Just amazing.

Golden Age Sandman has always been a favorite as well. The gas mask, suit, trench coat, and fedora was super cool. I also loved the pre-Flashpoint Sandman which was a mix of Golden Age and Gaiman’s version.
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I thought Dick Dillin did a nice job with Hawkman on JLofA

I love Dick Dillin's art, but his way of drawing the headgear was always a sore spot with me. It only works if I assume that Katar is wearing an alternate mask from the one Kubert gave him. It's all in the beak. Kurbert knew how to do the foreshortening so that the beak seemed to poke out from the page, where the Dillin beak is small and flat. Plus the other thing about the eyes.

With the Khufu version of Hawkman, I guess I have to cut artists a break, because he had a history of swapping out masks--so if he doesn't have a prominent beak then it's easily explained away.

Every outfit on this cover is a knockout.

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I have always liked Firestorm's.
    68e5aed89d5b0902a3b88078268bc9b8_l.jpg

Retired

The Tempest costume redesign by Phil Jimenez was a tribute to Neal Pozner's Aquaman redesign.

The Tempest costume redesign by Phil Jimenez was a tribute to Neal Pozner's Aquaman redesign.
    I noticed the similarities before but never knew that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Dave Cockrum's Legion costumes are among my favorites at DC, and my favorite of those is his spectacular Lightning Lad re-design (shown in this picture as drawn by Mike Grell). It's a simple design, which I think all the best costumes have in common, and the navy blue and white is such a striking and powerful looking combination.

I know that LL's Silver Age costume also had those colors, but getting rid of the orange leggings and the cape and emphasizing the lightning coming together from the shoulders elevates this to one of the very best superhero costumes of all time.

Lightning Lad.jpg