Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Retired

Barbara Gordon's Batgirl costume is one of my favourites, but it's precisely the original one by Carmine Infantino and Sid Greene (accept no substitutes). Sid's use of lots of black on the costume (I wonder what his bill for india ink must have been by the end of the year) that really made the costume for me. That black contrasts sharply with the yellow. Most other artists that have done the costume just made it grey or purple, lessening the effect.

Scarecrow has some of the best villain costume designs ever. He has a costume list as long as Batman with many knock outs. My top costumes would probably be.

BTAS

Arkham Knight

Scarecrow Villains One-Shot

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Also Scarecrow Year One is fantastic, the story that goes along with this version is heartbreaking.

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Gotta give Walter West a shout-out.

In the same vein, that alternate Wally West costume in one of the future Titans stories was awesome. I forget which one but it was a giant wide lightning stripe that cut diagonally across the whole costume with no belt, I think the outside was yellow.
    This made me remember the New-52 Future's End Wally's Flash costume and how much I love it! That composition of silver accented with red and balanced with black was sleek and beautiful, and when Wallace finally became Kid Flash in Rebirth, I wish they had given him a design that more reflected his Future's End look.

For a villain, I also always loved Daniel West's Reverse Flash look, particularly the crazy red and black shrapnel thing he had going for him before the red got replaced with yellow in later appearances. There was just something beautifully chaotic and powerful about Reverse Flash's "costume".

August Heart/Godspeed's costume runs off a similar aesthetic ideal as Reverse Flash's, and it is for that reason why his costume is also among my favorites.

There are so many other costumes and looks I really love and consider favorites. Too many to recall at any given moment, really. Some, like Jaime's Blue Beetle look, are so awesome to me that they transcend media. No matter what the portrayal -- Justice League Action, Young Justice, Batman Brave and the Bold, his original comics look, his Rebirth look, his Injustice look -- I find something that really endears me to the particular take on the character. It's pretty cool.

I'm also fond of Simon Baz's Green Lantern look. The mask and his physique together with the rest of his short-sleeved outfit really pull together something cool and unique. It invokes tradition while still be contemporary and having its own personal flair. Kyle's ION, White Lantern, and Omega Lantern looks also have similar pools that ultimately look so cool. In fact, for Kyle, I like his standard GL look the least, which is why I'm sad that's what he's back to these days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have always liked Firestorm's.
    Attachment 70353
    My favorite our Ronnie and Jason's unique Firestorms that appeared in the Nuclear Men story in early New-52.

That said, some of Ronnie's older looks can come off as a bit dated to me.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Barbara Gordon's Batgirl costume is one of my favourites, but it's precisely the original one by Carmine Infantino and Sid Greene (accept no substitutes). Sid's use of lots of black on the costume (I wonder what his bill for india ink must have been by the end of the year) that really made the costume for me. That black contrasts sharply with the yellow. Most other artists that have done the costume just made it grey or purple, lessening the effect.

Agreed. A thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Dave Cockrum's Legion costumes are among my favorites at DC, and my favorite of those is his spectacular Lightning Lad re-design (shown in this picture as drawn by Mike Grell). It's a simple design, which I think all the best costumes have in common, and the navy blue and white is such a striking and powerful looking combination.

I know that LL's Silver Age costume also had those colors, but getting rid of the orange leggings and the cape and emphasizing the lightning coming together from the shoulders elevates this to one of the very best superhero costumes of all time.

Attachment 70354
    Oh hell yes, that Lightning Lad costume is just tops in my book.

I'd also like to add a much lesser used Cosmic Boy costume I really love, from Action Comics vol 2 # 5 & 6

yad5lJQ.jpg

On a similar note, I also love the t-shirt and jeans outfit Superman has in the post-Flashpoint period. Makes him really seem like a modern tall tale like Paul Bunyan or John Henry.

"You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah, Classic Hourman has an awesome yet simplistic costume

I would say this pretty much sums up my favorites.

mine as well.

and also, i just love the simplicity and elegance of jose garcia lopez artwork.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I have always loved Dr. Fate's look...
    Attachment 70466
    ...and I'm not typically a fan of tweaking great concepts. But the "Egyptianization" of his design sent me Over The Moon!
    Attachment 70464
    Yeah Dr Fate, especially Griffins versions, is a great custom.

BANNED

Pre new 52 Nightwing and Cassandra Cain Batgirl Costume.

Retired

I remember that back in the day it used to bug me when artists didn't do the costumes right. I wanted this constant fidelity. I couldn't even abide playing with the chest emblem design. Especially when it came to the "Golden Age" heroes--I wanted the new artists to do it exactly the way the original artists had. And if they didn't, I figured they were deliberately thumbing their nose at the fans--or just didn't care.

For example on the wraparound cover for THE STERANKO HISTORY OF COMICS 1, I was especially bothered by the way Jim did Superman and Wonder Woman--even though they looked good. It bothered me, because he had done this whole volume on those heroes, reprinted art from the original artists, and yet he couldn't be bothered to stay on model? What th--

I was some annoying twerp when I was a teen.

Later, I enjoyed seeing artists play with the design. Although, I probably still would like the artists to demonstrate that they could do the character right, if they had to.

Vigilante by the great George Perez
    4164968.jpg

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Starman's costume (Jack Knight). He had the perfect combination of leather jacket, goggles and the staff complimented it to make it amazing.

I would say the character with the best costume as well as a long history is easily Batman. Superman's always looked cartoony to me.

Starman_Vol_2_57_Textless.jpg
    Last edited by The Whovian; 09-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I remember that back in the day it used to bug me when artists didn't do the costumes right. I wanted this constant fidelity. I couldn't even abide playing with the chest emblem design. Especially when it came to the "Golden Age" heroes--I wanted the new artists to do it exactly the way the original artists had. And if they didn't, I figured they were deliberately thumbing their nose at the fans--or just didn't care.

For example on the wraparound cover for THE STERANKO HISTORY OF COMICS 1, I was especially bothered by the way Jim did Superman and Wonder Woman--even though they looked good. It bothered me, because he had done this whole volume on those heroes, reprinted art from the original artists, and yet he couldn't be bothered to stay on model? What th--

I was some annoying twerp when I was a teen.

Later, I enjoyed seeing artists play with the design. Although, I probably still would like the artists to demonstrate that they could do the character right, if they had to.
    What was the problem with Superman and Wonder Woman?

Dr. Mid-Nite.

Mr. Terrific

Hourman

Last edited by docmidnite; 09-08-2018 at 05:57 PM.