Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Jamie Delano: was he as important as Moore, Gaiman and Morrison?

I've loved everything he's written but he seems not to be mentioned as often.

He produced solid enjoyable work at DC but never seemed grab the same attention as other Brit Pack writers.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    He produced solid enjoyable work at DC but never seemed grab the same attention as other Brit Pack writers.
    Not sure why. He's every bit as brilliant.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Big fan of his run on Hellblazer

Tbh he never really went past being known as the writer of Hellblazer, which was a character he didn't create which probably why he doesn't get the same kudos as Gaiman for Sandman and didn't "reinvent the wheel" the same Moore or Morrison did with their characters they were given.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Incredible Member

His animal man run was enjoyable but thats all it was

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I know it's blasphemous, but I actually prefer his Animal Man to Morrison's. I was one of the first Vertigo books I ever picked up, and I loved it immediately.

But yeah, he doesn't get name dropped alongside the other popular Brit writers of that era (same with Peter Milligan, although he's more active than Delano AFAIK).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I know it's blasphemous, but I actually prefer his Animal Man to Morrison's. I was one of the first Vertigo books I ever picked up, and I loved it immediately.

But yeah, he doesn't get name dropped alongside the other popular Brit writers of that era (same with Peter Milligan, although he's more active than Delano AFAIK).
    I read about first 10 and last six issues of morrison's run and much prefer delano's run to those first 10. The last 6 though are superb and would never be allowed to be written today - which is a great shame.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really liked his Captain Britain run with Alan Davis.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I really liked his Captain Britain run with Alan Davis.
    so all of that would be in here and should be the last original Marvel UK Captain Britain ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Bri...DT9B81569DJDEF

I only ever read claremont and moore's run but that looks like it should be a good fun read

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    so all of that would be in here and should be the last original Marvel UK Captain Britain ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Bri...DT9B81569DJDEF

I only ever read claremont and moore's run but that looks like it should be a good fun read
    It is a really good read.

No, he's not close to their level. He had his moments though, but his flowery prose threatened to ruin a lot of his stuff.

Hellblazer - Some decent bits, but my god, that prose made every issue a slog.
    Captain Britain - Okayish.
    2020 Visions - Very good
    Hellblazer: Bad Blood - Loved it.
    Animal Man - Started good, but descended into drivel by the end.
    Outlaw Nation - very good.
    World Without End - I liked it at the time. I suspect if I reread it now I'd hate it.

When he can reign in his worst excesses, he's a very good writer. When he decides to become a tree hugger and write bad teenage poetry, he's terrible.

I finished his Hellblazer run and I absolutely loved it. However that run was nowhere near the smash hit and icon Sandman was. To my knowledge he also never worked on mainstream cape books, or at least "important" ones. Moore and Morrison for instance got a ton of name recognition for their work on Batman and Superman. I also haven' really heard anything about his current work, what's he up to these days?

Incredible Member

Batman: Manbat - was this any good?

1995 elseworld story with John Bolton

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Batman: Manbat - was this any good?

1995 elseworld story with John Bolton
    I thought it was pretty mediocre, and for some reason Delano gave Batman the personality of Judge Dredd (which doesn't work when Batman is an illegal vigilante himself) - but I run very hot and cold with Delano - see my list above.

The art didn't work for me either. John Bolton is a great painter, but for some reason he decided to paint everyone realistically except Batman. It's quite jarring.