Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default New Identity, New Armor, New Darkhawk #1 in August.

Forgive me if this is elsewhere on the forums (a search turned up nothing). However, it has been revealed we are getting a new Darkhawk #1 in August by Kyle Higgins and Juanan Ramirez.

The catch? Brand new character is taking on the mantle.

Gotta say, I am not pleased with this. Loved Darkhawk as a kid and have every issue (yes, I am proud of it). I'll be keeping a eye on it, but this isn't a instant buy for me (it would have if Powell was involved).

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marv...-new-identity/

That's why I have huge trust issues with Marvel when it comes to C-list characers.
    Hey, look, Rockslide will have a role in the next X-event! The role of being the very first Krakoa mutant to really die!
    Hey, look at that special issue for Darkhawk's anniversary! Oops, he's dead so we can replace him!
    What's next? Ending Black Knight's mini by killing off Dane?

I'm totally ok with replacing overdone characters who keep retelling the same stories over and over, like Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, the Not New Not Different X-Men and so on...
    But a character who didn't get much opportunity? And announcing it as a favor to his fans, like if a super hero is just a name and a set of powers? That sucks. And it's not like Darkhawk is that super popular title that would give more visibility to diverse characters.
    At least give some hint that Chris is not really dead and that he will share the name with that new guy.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Didn't he download his memories just before getting killed in that one-shot? Sounds like Chris will be the Tony to the new guy's Riri. In Invincible Iron Man, when Riri took over the book, she had a version of Tony as her suit's AI. I see Chris ending up as exactly the same thing.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

i can't make a joke about people getting mad on behalf of darkhawk if it happens before i can post
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Pepe's art looks terrific.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Good /Bad News

The Good News: The original character always shows up at some point

The Bad News: If you really like the original character, There is a chance that he goes the way of Alan Scott, Jay Garrick or Genis Vell

The Ugly: If you are a fan of the original Marvel isn't trying to win ALL of you over, This books success and failure isn't dependent on old fans, If old fans where capable of sustaining a book the characters would be around. Yeah sure they would like to keep all of the old fans BUT this basically like Marvel launch a new character which means creating new base of people who can hold a book is their goal

I know I don't how to say this next part without crap on someone favorite but I have nothing against original but I am curious to see if another character can lift the concept to something more popular. It is not the characters fault but they are enough white male characters I would be happy to see a different background bring more diversity into the picture.

Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-20-2021 at 03:26 AM.

Looks pretty good to me

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Good /Bad News

The Bad News: If you really like the original character, There is a chance that he goes the way of Alan Scott, Jay Garrick or Genis Vell

The Ugly: If you are a fan of the original Marvel isn't trying to win ALL of you over, This books success and failure isn't dependent on old fans, If old fans where capable of sustaining a book the characters would be around. Yeah sure they would like to keep all of the old fans BUT this basically like Marvel launch a new character which means creating new base of people who can hold a book is their goal

I know I don't how to say this next part without crap on someone favorite but I have nothing against original but I am curious to see if another character can lift the concept to something more popular. It is not the characters fault but they are enough white male characters I would be happy to see a different background bring more diversity into the picture.

A character doesn't fail or succeed due to what nationality, background or sexual orientation they are. The writing determines that. The problem with the big two is that, if a character fails, then we will just swap out the race and sexual orientation.

Now, Darkhawk himself may not have been a heavy hitter. But the character did well enough to last 50 issues and a multitude of mini-series bearing his name. Now only that, he had a sizeable stint with The New Warriors. If Digifiend is correct and Chris acts as the A.I to the new guy? Cool. I'll be down for that. But I don't want Chris tossed aside to "appeal" to new readers or tick diversity boxes.

Want to know how you do diversity? Create new characters!

The relaunch of Ghost Rider in 1990 worked because, apart from its visuals, it wisely brought Johnny Blaze back a few issues into it and had him alongside Dan Ketch. That is how you do it.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 05-20-2021 at 05:46 AM.

Good /Bad News

Very true & looking at the art Mr.Young he’s given me young Steven Yeun( walking dead vibes) but I could be wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    That's why I have huge trust issues with Marvel when it comes to C-list characers.
    Hey, look, Rockslide will have a role in the next X-event! The role of being the very first Krakoa mutant to really die!
    Hey, look at that special issue for Darkhawk's anniversary! Oops, he's dead so we can replace him!
    What's next? Ending Black Knight's mini by killing off Dane?

I'm totally ok with replacing overdone characters who keep retelling the same stories over and over, like Iron Man, Daredevil, Spider-Man, the Not New Not Different X-Men and so on...
    But a character who didn't get much opportunity? And announcing it as a favor to his fans, like if a super hero is just a name and a set of powers? That sucks. And it's not like Darkhawk is that super popular title that would give more visibility to diverse characters.
    At least give some hint that Chris is not really dead and that he will share the name with that new guy.
    Rockslide's dead?!?
    Last edited by protege; 05-20-2021 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Rockslide's dead?!?
    No Rockslide is alive but a whole different character basically if mutant dies in Otherworld, You aren't guaranteed to come back as the same person.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 05-20-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Yeah, he might as well be dead, as he's basically a newborn. He doesn't have his memories, they were corrupted.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I was with you until you mentioned Genis, who was only created because they didn't want to bring back the original Captain Marvel, Mar-Vell.

As for the new Darkhawk, I can't be the only one who saw this coming. In comics, alien tech and devices gets passed around more than a donation plate at Sunday service. It was just a matter of time before someone else either took over the role, or someone bastardized the equipment and incorporated it into their existing paraphernalia. (In full disclosure, I totally wanted the Falcon or the Prowler to adapt some of Darkhawk's tech and become Wakanda's version of a Raptor.)

The good news is that this is an opportunity to reintroduce Darkhawk for the next generation. Not sure if it will sell, but I might check out at least the first issue.

Fantastic Member

I have a feeling this new Darkhawk will join the Champions

if Marvel ever gives us a live-action DarkHawk they will have done the impossible. Completed all my fan cinematic requests. DarkHawk was the first comic series I collected. My mom's coworker gifted about 70% of that initial comic run to my mom in the 90s and I finished the collection.

I grew up with Chris. I don't mind a new face since Marvel made Chris's story a little muddy over the years and he at least got a more complete character arc than some heroes. End of the Day it's the ability that scratches that Guyver itch my inner child has.
    The J-man