Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Amazing Member

From another thread (but the answer would be somewhat off topic there):

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Personally, i really like Jack Kirby's Fourth World but i don't find Darkseid as appealing as Thanos. I don't think Kirby wanted to develop Darkseid and Apokolips beyond being a satire on totalitarianism, while Thanos is more of a psychedelic byronic villain turned anti-hero.

Kirby's intention (= what he said in interviews or to his friends and colleagues) isn't more important than his direction (what can be constructed and understood from the narrative itself). In any case, the satirical mode never overpowered the romantic one in his Fourth World work. So, Darkseid was never, ever, a pure satirical character (the exception maybe being The Hunger Dogs, but it was done by a later, more tired Kirby). He was never a representation of pure evil like many 'modern' comics would want us to believe. It's too easy a solution, too childish, too banal, but DC so desperately needed its own Sauron, and that's what we got. But original Darkseid had many admirable qualities - and that's where the fascination lies. And with it, the danger.

Complexity and ability to change are not necessarily connected, let alone being the same thing. So, I don't view Darkseid's inability to grow (as a character) as a handicap per se. He is what he is, and what he is can still be the greatest danger of our time, even nowadays - as any serious survey of the political situation worldwide will show us. And similarly to Aaron's take on the origin of Thanos, Darkseid had John Byrne, who thought he had the smartest idea EVER when he told us how Uxas had become Darkseid. Which is not only unnecessary but even harmful to the perception of the character-as-a-metaphor. Unfortunately, and sadly, Byrne's take on the New Gods was among the better uses of the characters...

Anyway, Darkseid and Thanos are different enough and complex enough that any opinion that favors either of them can be valid. (But I'll remind you that we don't have to choose one )
    "The critics? No, I have nothing but compassion for them. How can I hate the crippled, the mentally deficient, and the dead?"

The Thanoscopter happened only in one non-canon comic for small kids.
    It also appeared in an issue of Deadpool, one of the Lego marvel games, and received a comicon exclusive hotwheels toy.

Ultimate Member

Because they were unaware of their true potential.

Say what you will about the wanking, Starlin's Thanos is a more intelligent, philosophical and compelling character than the stupid thuggish monster that Is Hickman's Thanos.
    That's only because under Starlin, everyone around Thanos becomes a damn idiot. That was the point of 3 Infinity crossovers, lol

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    That's only because under Starlin, everyone around Thanos becomes a damn idiot. That was the point of 3 Infinity crossovers, lol
    Thanos and Adam Warlock were the real main characters of the story, that's why Earth's heroes didn't have much importance to the story. Also Thanos (with the gems), Magus and the goddess were uberpowerful reality warpers, that's why they couldn't be beaten by the Avengers. It wasn't meant to be a crossover event about punching the bad guy.

The point of the Infinity crossovers was Thanos learning to move away from his obsession with trying to get Death to love him.

Starlin became stale and a one trick pony after the nineties and he never realized that. The best example of this is The End which was essentially a remixed Infinity Gauntlet with an evil pharaoh thrown into the mix. I still enjoyed it and loved the ending but i liked the Keith Giffen half of the Samaritan series better than the Starlin half.

I agreed with other Thanos fans that the OGN trilogy from 2015, was needed, because too many writers were messing Thanos up (especially Bendis and Aaron, and Hickman turned him into a reckless brute and generic space warlord akin to Despero and Mongul). But the Hulk vs Thanos mini and the Mother Entropy mini were mediocre at best in my opinion.

Many fan sites still firmly have the Infinity Gauntlet as one of the top 10 Marvel stories. Jim Starilin was such a huge part of marvel comics and what the company is....I can't hear anyone crap on him without feeling the need to defend the guy. Its a shame you hate his work, because its very possible none of us would be enjoying the cosmic side of Marvel or the MCU movies today if it were not for Jim Starlin.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-08-2020 at 04:25 AM.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

This comic strip is pretty hilarious. Darkseid and Thanos as carpool buddies.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VsDAU
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It also appeared in an issue of Deadpool, one of the Lego marvel games, and received a comicon exclusive hotwheels toy.
    Still nothing more than tongue-in-cheek references.

I meant when he's not being fan wanked by Starlin

Thanos is a fighter, that's part of his character. He therefor shouldn't be able to steam roll the top tier guys like Thor, Hulk, etc.
    I think Thanos is more of a scientist and philosopher than a fighter. Although this doesn't stop him to enjoy maesuring his strenght against the likes of Odin and Tyrant.

Ultimate Member

I think Thanos is more of a scientist and philosopher than a fighter. Although this doesn't stop him to enjoy maesuring his strenght against the likes of Odin and Tyrant.
    Yeah, no.

When Starlin reintroduced Thanos, he added a 'blood knight' feature. And he then put him in a weight class well above the strongest heroes.

So his pet character gets to cumbstomp most everyone in a fight. Hell, he had Thanos smash through the Annihilators, likely because they were the strongest team he could get his hands on.

Yeah, no.

When Starlin reintroduced Thanos, he added a 'blood knight' feature. And he then put him in a weight class well above the strongest heroes.

So his pet character gets to cumbstomp most everyone in a fight. Hell, he had Thanos smash through the Annihilators, likely because they were the strongest team he could get his hands on.
    He was aided by Adam Warlock and had to teleport Gladiator away. He would have a hard time fighting the Annihilators otherwise.

I don't care about power levels that much. I'm just grumpy that Thanos isn't going to be written as a smart and complex character ever again. For some reason it's okay complaining about drunken jobber Thor but everybody here Is perfectly fine with Thuggish Dumbed Down Thanos
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 04-18-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Ultimate Member

He was aided by Adam Warlock and had to teleport Gladiator away. He would have a hard time fighting the Annihilators otherwise.

I don't care about power levels that much. I'm just grumpy that Thanos isn't going to be written as a smart and complex character ever again. For some reason it's okay complaining about drunken jobber Thor but everybody here Is perfectly fine with Thuggish Dumbed Down Thanos
    You seem to care about power levels when Thor gets jobbed

It' not an either/or choice with fighty Thanos. In what was to be Thanos' last story, he fought Thing and Thor to a standstill.

The problem is that Starlin elevated him to a power level far above the strongest hero weight class, while keeping Thanos' willingness to fight. So he uses that as an excuse to curb stomp all the heroes who fight him.

You seem to care about power levels when Thor gets jobbed

It' not an either/or choice with fighty Thanos. In what was to be Thanos' last story, he fought Thing and Thor to a standstill.

The problem is that Starlin elevated him to a power level far above the strongest hero weight class, while keeping Thanos' willingness to fight. So he uses that as an excuse to curb stomp all the heroes who fight him.
    1970's Thanos knocked out the Thing and Thor with his eye beams and was only defeated when Adam Warlock sacrificed himself to turn him into stone.

The real problem is that no one in modern Marvel tries to give Thanos the wit, intellect and psychedelic sense of wonder he and Warlock used to have. That's the real problem for me.

Mighty Member

Yeah, no.

While its true Thanos get a powerboats on his resurrection, he was more than capable of taking on the toughest heroes before his first death. He took on both Thing and Thor simultaneously in hand to hand combat and held up well.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    While its true Thanos get a powerboats on his resurrection, he was more than capable of taking on the toughest heroes before his first death. He took on both Thing and Thor simultaneously in hand to hand combat and held up well.
    And he also a science expert capable of creating complex clones and build a flying chair that can go through the nexus of reality. I really miss Thanks and Adam monologues

Ultimate Member

1970's Thanos knocked out the Thing and Thor with his eye beams and was only defeated when Adam Warlock sacrificed himself to turn him into stone.

The real problem is that no one in modern Marvel tries to give Thanos the wit, intellect and psychedelic sense of wonder he and Warlock used to have. That's the real problem for me.
    For me, the problem is that Thanos makes everyone else act like an idiot

For me, the problem is that Thanos makes everyone else act like an idiot
    The elders of the universe never struck me as smart and majestic individuald, Grandmaster aside, to be honest. Thanos outsmarting them shouldn't be something outrageous.