Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Already looking forward to this. RobinDick. The original DD together again.

This was pretty much a filler issue that could have been done in five pages instead of wasting a full issue.

Pretty disappointing after the previous arc and easily skippable.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    This was pretty much a filler issue that could have been done in five pages instead of wasting a full issue.
    So basically like most other issues of Kings run?

That is what I heard too, a filler Nastalgic issue that says nice things about Dick Grayson before the obvious fridging which will be him getting shot in the head. I wish Mark Doyle didn’t get pushed out as editor. EVERY Original Batman & Robin story is a sentimental rehash that doesn’t live up to its in universe message.

Beautiful issue, a glance of humor in a depressed Batman is always welcomed, and if it comes thanks to Nightwing, doubly welcomed. I must admit a certain curiosity over how Brennan Wagner's colors looked before he was changed (in a not polite way) in favor of Moreau, who did a good job anyways. Matt Wagner did a pretty good job, he was just as suited as always for a story that dwells in the past with a look similar to classic stories. The script was heart moving and funny. Recently I read again Batman Year Three and it's interesting to contrast that story with this issue, they both deal with a Bruce who has been hurt and Nightwing as the one who wants to help, but in two different ways, while remaining true to the characters. The flashback depicted a Dick closer to the one in Dark Victory, that showed that he wasn't okay with living in Wayne Manor right away, and it works pretty well in this story, especially thank to the last panel that makes it all come together. It seems the Freeze case isn't done with yet, which I like and expect to see more about
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

This was....nice...ish? I guess?

I mean, I always love seeing Robin Dick so I had to have this one. It was essentially a contrast story going back and forth between a time when Dick was first brought to the Manor, an angry and difficult child that Bruce was really trying to get through to, and the present day where the tables have turned and Dick is now trying to get through to Bruce through his tough exterior of 'break up' woes. Of course by the end, you guessed it, each one truly appreciates the way the other put up with them and cared, its nice, though even as I write I get the feeling I'm making the comic come off perhaps better than it was. The thought behind it was nice but the execution fell a bit short, coming off as kinda shallow, but its got some sweet moments. An okay filler by any means, especially if you wanna see young DG, but good god that cucumber sandwich 'metaphor' line at the end was sooo lazy/cheesy.

(Seeing Dick break the chandelier was pretty cute though, so was the 'committed' line from Bruce )
    Last edited by RedBird; 09-05-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    I wish Mark Doyle didn’t get pushed out as editor. EVERY Original Batman & Robin story is a sentimental rehash that doesn’t live up to its in universe message.
    I feel out of the loop, when and why was Doyle pushed out as editor?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Beautiful issue, a glance of humor in a depressed Batman is always welcomed, and if it comes thanks to Nightwing, doubly welcomed. I must admit a certain curiosity over how Brennan Wagner's colors looked before he was changed (in a not polite way) in favor of Moreau, who did a good job anyways. Matt Wagner did a pretty good job, he was just as suited as always for a story that dwells in the past with a look similar to classic stories. The script was heart moving and funny. Recently I read again Batman Year Three and it's interesting to contrast that story with this issue, they both deal with a Bruce who has been hurt and Nightwing as the one who wants to help, but in two different ways, while remaining true to the characters. The flashback depicted a Dick closer to the one in Dark Victory, that showed that he wasn't okay with living in Wayne Manor right away, and it works pretty well in this story, especially thank to the last panel that makes it all come together. It seems the Freeze case isn't done with yet, which I like and expect to see more about
    The fallen chandelier immediately reminded me of Dark Victory.
    It's a heartwarming and nostalgic issue. Not as great as Grayson: Futures End,but it's really good.
    Last edited by Onthetrapeze; 09-07-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I feel out of the loop, when and why was Doyle pushed out as editor?
    About a year ago by Tom King who wanted Finch to do the proposal instead of the one Doyle picked and Tom won because of the hype he has right now

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    About a year ago by Tom King who wanted Finch to do the proposal instead of the one Doyle picked and Tom won because of the hype he has right now
    Ah, I see, thanks, and damn that harsh for Doyle.

The calm before the storm, but this was sweet.

Fantastic Member

This was ok. I like reading about Dick and Bruce's father and son relationship. I liked that old status is back to when Bruce fostered Dick has a child. the n52 origin made no sense to me, normally the law would not let you adopt 16 year olds. well except Gotham has a different one. then again it's fiction.
    I still have problems on how King writes the dialogues it take away from what could have been a great story. as always great ideas badly executed.

It was forgettable. I understood the sentiment toward it but I don't think the emotional moments really landed too well. It did feel like filler.

Also why did Dick start talking like a valley girl randomly?

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It was forgettable. I understood the sentiment toward it but I don't think the emotional moments really landed too well. It did feel like filler.

Also why did Dick start talking like a valley girl randomly?
    I only skimmed through the book, but there WERE a lot of 'likes' in his speech weren't there?