Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It was good as an introspect into Dick’s and Bruce’s relationship and I always welcome that, but there is really not a lot more to it.
    The art was alright, the transitions really good. I do like that Dick has a longer history as Robin again, the chandelier of course and the cucumber sandwich is pretty nice as well, fits right with the Earl Grey Dick appearently likes to drink.
    But as far as more recent stuff goes I'd sooner reread NW vs Hush, The first Raptor arc or even NW#30 to get my fix.

Pretty meh issue, I laughed at the penny joke but otherwise there really wasn't much here. Pure filler.

Given what we know is going to happen I’m not sure it’s fair to call this filler. It’s emotional setup.

Always Rakzo

This was actually good! There's a lack of the classic BS that you can expect from the title to go straight to the point and create an interesting and appropriate parallel between Bruce and Dick that hits all the right notes.

Solid art as well. Not sure if I should be optimistic about what's coming next though.

I don't know what some of y'all want out of your comics. Must every issue upend the status quo? We know change is coming soon enough for Nightwing and Batman. It's nice to be able to enjoy nice character stories while the seas are calm once in a while. Like, in the grand scheme of things, did the entirety of say Endgame change the Batman mythos more than this story? No. The majority of comics fail to provide lasting status quo changes, so its nice to enjoy character moments every once in a while between bombastic events.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

It's a good breather issue and I liked the use of crazy quilt and the condiment king.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Solid art as well. Not sure if I should be optimistic about what's coming next though.
    SOME of the art was good. It was literally ALL over the place throughout the book. BUT... this (kind of) made me feel like the old issues of Batman where you had multiple-short stories in each issue. (even though this story took up the entire book).. Im tired of every issue trying to be the next chapter in the "world is ending" storylines that flood damn near every comic these days.. Still though.. IF its a setup or just filler.. They did something a little different and.. I like that.. want to see MORE of that.. Its like Batman 49.. a pullback from the action..which,.. if done correctly.. is a great thing!

Overall.. I liked the book.. (now if they would just return to legacy numbering and revert to the old/original Batman logo and ditch that cheap ass ugly photoshopped texture'd logo.. (and put UPC boxes on the BACK cover for variants) things would really be on the right track..

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbruns View Post
    SOME of the art was good. It was literally ALL over the place throughout the book. BUT... this (kind of) made me feel like the old issues of Batman where you had multiple-short stories in each issue. (even though this story took up the entire book).. Im tired of every issue trying to be the next chapter in the "world is ending" storylines that flood damn near every comic these days.. Still though.. IF its a setup or just filler.. They did something a little different and.. I like that.. want to see MORE of that.. Its like Batman 49.. a pullback from the action..which,.. if done correctly.. is a great thing!
    But the problem with Kings run is, that there is to much setup/filler and hardly any story. I mean did we have the last time a normal story in this run or an issue that wasn't ultra slow paced?

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Given what we know is going to happen I’m not sure it’s fair to call this filler. It’s emotional setup.
    The wedding story didn't even get a conclusion, so why is King setting up new stuff? The next logical story beat for King's overall arc would be to confront Catwoman and/or Bane, but instead we get a court case and now this issue. In the context of the greater story, they're filler because they don't move it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by blunt_eastwood View Post
    The wedding story didn't even get a conclusion, so why is King setting up new stuff? The next logical story beat for King's overall arc would be to confront Catwoman and/or Bane, but instead we get a court case and now this issue. In the context of the greater story, they're filler because they don't move it forward.
    This IS a followup to the wedding. Both stories show how Bruce deals with the falling out of the wedding, first by lashing out in anger and then Dick lending out support. Bruce may not be strong enough to confront Catwoman, but he will seek the support of his friends. And he still has no idea that Bane is behind this yet.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Incredible Member blunt_eastwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    This IS a followup to the wedding. Both stories show how Bruce deals with the falling out of the wedding, first by lashing out in anger and then Dick lending out support. Bruce may not be strong enough to confront Catwoman, but he will seek the support of his friends. And he still has no idea that Bane is behind this yet.
    It's not really. Showing Bruce's reaction to what happened should be about one issue's worth of story. The next story beat should, as I said, be about Bruce confronting Catwoman and whatever the next part of Bane's plan is. Either of those should move us closer to the resolution of the story.

Spectacular Member

Here's an interesting theory someone just posted on reddit regarding the future of King's batman: https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...nd_catwoman_3/

Well-thought out theory, but I'd hate it. Catwoman having Helena from someone other than Bruce didn't work the first time around. No reason for me to think it would work the next time around. If you're not going to bring Helena Wayne into main continuity as the child of Selina and Bruce, then you don't bring Helena Wayne into the main continuity. You leave her to an alternate Earth be it Earth-2 or another one. Is it possible though? Yeah, I could see it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo3000 View Post
    Here's an interesting theory someone just posted on reddit regarding the future of King's batman: https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...nd_catwoman_3/
    That chart is really interesting because it seems to imply a common thread in all of these. The connection to Bane with Batman, Nightwing, and Catwoman is clear, so it makes me wonder if this will hold true for the others on the graphic. We know that Red Hood will be appearing in Batman soon, so it will be easy enough for King to connect Bane there. And it may be possible that Bane is Robin's secret mentor in Teen Titans.

His son working with Bane would actually make for a pretty big gut-punch too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El